IGNORED

Topcase options for 2011 RT..advice needed.

Casey

Well, I'm about 45 days from coming home from Iraq and meeting up with my new RT. So now, while I'm sitting here in the desert, I'm doing what any one of you would be doing....looking up accessories!

So I'm wanting a topcase for my RT. I'd like to have one that has a brake light thats a part of the case, is there such a thing out there? If so, I'd appreciate a point in the right direction.

Any other advice or information you can give me would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Casey

You might want to look at Shad or Givi as an option.

I have owned and used the BMW 49l and it works well but it is heavy and uber expensive. Not worth it in my opinion, which is free.

I am using the Givi V-46 now and the only draw back to it is the separate key that is required.

If I were to do it again I would take a good look at the Shad cases.

I only use a trunk for the long trips as the side bags are lower and hold most of what I need otherwise.

Thank you to all of you guys and gals for being there for us..

I have a 49L BMW case and I am amazed how heavy it is as compared to a Givi 46L. There isn't a whole lot of room in that big-ass son of a gun BMW case when you look inside of it.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too worried about the keying of the case. I'd just really like there to be an intergrated brake light that I can plug into the bikes electrical system without frying the bike or myself. haha

I've checked the websites (Givi, Shad) any others?

The search continues.....

I had the Givi V46 with light kit on my FJR. The light kit is a joke, four weak LED's and a kludgy contact system. If I had to do it again I'd have skipped the lights (the big V46 side panels look like lights but they just reflect).

On my RT I have the big OEM top box and I have to say I like it. It has held up well, stores a ton, works as a passenger backrest, and doesn't affect my handling in side winds enough to matter. Negotiate for a better-than-retail price.

Ive said it on another Forum, Give Sears e catalog a look see and JC Whitney. An inexpensive alternative to pricey top boxes. Easy mount plates. Look like a GIVI at a fraction of the cost.

Instead of the funky LED lighting kit, take off the red plastic and put the reflective truckers tape under there. Easy simp and quickle and you have a good reflective strip that glows red in the head lights.

The 49L BMW top case was just too big and heavy for me and it just didn't look right on the bike. I have the smaller 28L BMW case, painted to match. Then again, if I did heavy touring and needed max capacity, I'd go bigger.

I wired a simple $12 generic 6" red led light bar on the bottom of my rear license plate frame that works well and looks clean. Lights in a top case remind me of the big SUV taillights on the GoldWing, which is overkill to me but that's just me.

I have the Givi E55 case that I purchased with the combo kit which includes the LED lights pre-installed and the case liner. The LEDs are linked to the brake and running lights, but not the turn signals. As a previous poster mentioned, the lights are on the weak side. All and all, I am pleased with the case and I leave it on all the time as I am a pack rat.

Thanks for what you do and safe travels back.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm not sure that I'd need a 49L case. Knowing me, having that much space would just give me an excuse to fill it up!

I guess what I need to do is find some retailers with the cases in stock, so I can get a look at them. Do you think they'll have some at the MOA rally? I'm headed up that way next July.

Thank again,

Casey

You'll see many top case there.

Don't know which retailers (ala GIVI) will be there but you should see enough to decide.

Always a market to resell used topcases around here.

I have a 49L BMW case and I am amazed how heavy it is as compared to a Givi 46L. There isn't a whole lot of room in that big-ass son of a gun BMW case when you look inside of it.

Agree. I had a 36l Givi on my '06 RT, and have a 49l case on the '09 RT. They are almost identical in inside dimensions, but the 49l BMW case is HUGE compared to the Givi! If I were going to do it over I'd stick with a Givi case, especially considering the cost.

I found the BMW 49l to give an unstable feeling over 80MPH (which I believe is the max speed BMW recommends for it - go figure).

What I now use is their dry bag. It's as large, a lot cheaper, waterproof, connects easily, and feels stable over 80MPH.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Ed.

Casey,

I ordered a Shad SH 50...its on its way... a little bigger than the standard BMW bag. I went to local distributor and saw a couple different sizes, all looked very durable, lots of color combinations and fairly roomie. By the way they manufacture many of the BMW bags. A sugguestion... go to the shad website and look at what they offer. They have a spacer that has the brakelight and signal combination you may like...

By the way thank you so much for keeping our country free! God bless you and I hope one day to see you in the saddle of that bike riding this great country of ours!

Take care!

Best regards,

Jeffrey J. Henning GMT 2(retired)

jjsrt

I have a Givi Maxia 52 liter case. I am very pleased with it.. It is great on the '05 R1200Rt... I much prefer it to the BMW offering for sure. I have had it for going on 3 years.. Very well made and very stable at high speeds.

Agree. I had a 36l Givi on my '06 RT, and have a 49l case on the '09 RT. They are almost identical in inside dimensions, but the 49l BMW case is HUGE compared to the Givi! If I were going to do it over I'd stick with a Givi case, especially considering the cost.

+2 I'd definitely go with a Givi case instead of the BMW topbox.

Givi holds the same amount of stuff and is much lighter, smaller, better looking IMO, as well as significantly less expensive. I thought the rear lights were OK when I had a Givi w/light kit on my R11RT.

The BMW topcase looks like it belongs on the bike, but if you want functionality and quality, GIVI is second to none.

But if you want lights, add your own. Fabricate some Hyperlites or something similar for the best attention.

Thanks for all the replies. I sent an e-mail to my dealer asking about prices for the BMW topcases...and nearly fell out of my seat when I got the reply. 28L - 481.95, 49L - 921.90...and an extra 25.00 to get it keyed to the bike...:eek:

I checked out the Shad and Givi sites, great looking cases. Thanks for the advice. I guess trying to figure out what size case is the tough part.

Anyone have any pics of their topcases installed? I'd really like to get a look at the products on the bike.

Thanks again,

C

I have seen the SHAD 50, or SD50 as they call it on a couple of bikes and was really impressed with the fit and finish, never mind the capacity! Very user friendly interior.

One had the optional light kit wired to use both the tail light and brake lights and it was very well integrated into the rear of the case. I was impressed.

If I can ever afford a new RT, like maybe a 'left-over' 2010...I won't bother with the BM'er version, I'll definitely have a close look at the SHAD product line...

Jim

Anyone have any pics of their topcases installed? I'd really like to get a look at the products on the bike.

Thanks again,

C

Good idea to have a look first. Google "Givi RT" or "Shad case RT", search images and you'll quickly find photos.

6.jpg

I'd also recommend a Givi. I bought the BMW 28L topcase when I picked up a new R1200ST in 2006. I moved the case over to my new K12GT when I bought it in July of '09. About a month and a half ago the 28L (which was secured to the factory rack) fell off my bike as I was pulling into a parking lot. Sure enough, after doing some research I found out there is a design flaw in those cases which develop small cracks on the underside. I was also using the Givi V46 (bought for my R1150R in 2005) on the GT for longer, two up trips. The BMW 49L is crazily priced at $895 with no guarantee that its design isn't also flawed. The Givi has been great, I use the SW Motech Alu-Rack mounting system from Twisted Throttle which looks a lot more elegant than the Givi universal rack.

I also fitted LED tailights/brakelights from ADMORE (also bought from Twisted Throttle) on the V46 which work very well.

Lastly, I bought the paintable top panel for the V46 which is currently at Holt BMW in Ohio getting painted to match my GT.

For the money they charge, I can't believe the BMW 49L can't be color matched to the bike.

And carrying around a separate key for the Givi is a non issue for me.

Check into the Coocases from Twisted Throttle. I have one and am very satisfied, moreso than I was with the Givi case I had,and at a better price. The big one even comes with lights installed and a remote opener.

DSC_9557.JPG

DSC_9559.JPG

Roy :)

All I can add is that I am a light packer and wasn't going to get a top case at all for my new RT.No two up riding. At the last minute before a 2800 mile trip,my brother talked me into the BMW 49L. Glad he did,all three cases were full,and I had to strap my jacket to the back seat. Yes they are over priced,just had to bite the bullet and do it.

Archived