IGNORED

1200RT lowered suspension ride quality?

TowJam

Has anyone done an A/B comparison of the RT's factory lowered suspension versus the standard suspension with regards to ride quality? With the lowered suspension, it's a given you'll lose some lean angle but I'm wondering how much harsher the ride will be. At 5'6" and 30" inseam (on a good day), the lowered option sounds appealing but my dealer doesn't have one available to demo.

I recently bought a lowered GS, and I like it. The ride does not seem harsh to me. Admittedly, I have never ridden a conventional GS, but the ride "quality" seems no worse than the R1200ST I traded.

As for lean angle, I cannot say, because even with lowering, the GS motor appears to sit a bit higher than on an RT.

Bob

I have a factory lowered RT. Never did a comparison. If you want to fly out you can take a ride on mine. It's very comfy. '09 with 24K miles....so if it's harsh I dunno about it.

Towjam, find out what the rear shock travel is on the lowered vs. the standard models. It may be the same or close; if so harshness should not be a factor, unless the spring rate is set up for a much lighter person, in which case it could bottom more easily. BMW doesn't make these facts easily accessible to the buyer, I don't know why. They are important in making a decision.

Also remember: the OEM shocks will be toast by 10K (or sooner) and you'll be putting some good aftermarket's on, where spring rate can be specified. By you.

Towjam, find out what the rear shock travel is on the lowered vs. the standard models. It may be the same or close; if so harshness should not be a factor, unless the spring rate is set up for a much lighter person, in which case it could bottom more easily. BMW doesn't make these facts easily accessible to the buyer, I don't know why. They are important in making a decision.

That's the problem. Me dealer gives me the deer-in-the-headlights look when I've asked about this (this isn't the first time I've tried to get their assistance with this) and as you pointed out, BMW doesn't seem to want to disclose this info. Unfortunately too, neither dealer in my area have low suspension models to test ride.

Also remember: the OEM shocks will be toast by 10K (or sooner) and you'll be putting some good aftermarket's on, where spring rate can be specified. By you.
Although at some point, I'm sure I'd be replacing the OEMs with something more substantial, I fully expect the stock shocks to last more than 10k. If they are showing significant signs of wear at 10k, I will be having a come-to-jeezuz discussion with my dealer.

Hi Towjam,

Not exactly the answer to your question but...

I've just had my standard 09 GS, with ESA, serviced. I ride in comfort mode nearly all the time and was hoping that the dealer could soften it more with computer settings - no deal apparently!

My loan bike was a lowered spec 2010 GS. Lovely engine and transmition but it felt as though I was riding on a wash board. My own GS felt like a feather bed when I got it back!

Derek

I have an 09 low suspension RT.

Ride quality, just fine. In fact I find it more fun to ride than my previous bike because I feel more inline with the center of the bike - instead of sitting on I sit more "in".

Only issue I have, the seat is a tad uncomfortable while stopped, what I mean is, there is distinct pressure against my thigh on the side where my leg is extended.

Otherwise the seat feels very good as well.

Last note, do not let the straps which hold the bag lids on the kick stand side ever get disconnected, while on the kickstand the left bag can contact the ground if the strap is not on.

I've got a 2001 RT, and had shorter shocks put on it from day one. Never had a problem with the handleing or ride quality. Hope this helps

I'm betting that after riding that HD 48, your RT feels like a friggin' La-Z-Boy. (And ain't nothing wrong with that.)

;)

Archived