IGNORED

Sahara Pegs gripe

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Just got a set of Sahara Pegs for my RT.

Given that they ultimately end up installed on a bike that's assembled with Torx-drive metric fasteners, I am unable to comprehend why the designer of the Sahara Pegs chose to use SAE-thread hex-socket cap screws.

Now I have to add that one SAE hex key to my underseat tool collection.

:dopeslap:

That's not half as bad as when they lock up from just a small amount of road grime. Mine locked up for a second time in a few months. :dopeslap:

Shawn

P.S. Didn't you use SAE threads on the rear wheel balancing "axle" you made for me? It was the one for the R1100RT. :grin:

My Motolights are the same way.

Come to think of it, so is my Dodge. It's really mixed up - there's SAE and metric crap sprinkled around all over the place. It's like they buy headlights from mexico, so they're metric, but the motor is good ol' USA, so no metric. For some reason the shock mounts in the rear were metric too. God knows what else. WTF???

But for those who don't know it, Harley, in their infinite wisdom, uses hex and torx indiscriminately throughout the bike.

I think manufacturers do it to get our goat! lol

paul

malcolmblalock

Speaking of idiotic fasteners, why did BMW use an external torx bolt on the gearshift adjuster? As far as I know it's the only external torx bolt on the bike. I went looking for a socket to fit, and could not buy just one socket; had to get a set!

Joe Frickin' Friday
That's not half as bad as when they lock up from just a small amount of road grime. Mine locked up for a second time in a few months. :dopeslap:

I remember the first occasion, and now I think maybe I see the hole where grit enters from below and gunks up the ball detent mechanism. I think. If you know the one I'm talking about, do you think a glob of RTV over that hole could prevent this from happening? Or is the grit messing things up somewhere else?

P.S. Didn't you use SAE threads on the rear wheel balancing "axle" you made for me? It was the one for the R1100RT. :grin:

I may have. But at least with that one, you don't have to carry an extra tool on your bike to do roadside repairs. :grin:

My Motolights are the same way.

Come to think of it, so is my Dodge. It's really mixed up - there's SAE and metric crap sprinkled around all over the place. It's like they buy headlights from mexico, so they're metric, but the motor is good ol' USA, so no metric. For some reason the shock mounts in the rear were metric too. God knows what else. WTF???

My 92 chevy had a metric engine and trans but the body was a combo metric, SAE and torx. I have a 99 Benz now and the whole thing is metric but the engine compartment has a s-load of E drives. Apparently those buggers can take more torque for a smaller head. Gota love standards. So many to pick from.

Ok, you guys figured it out. My company pays manufacturers $$ to use as may sizes and styles of fastners as possible for our profit :thumbsup: Not really but I live in the world of" what the heck is this bolt??"

Take "Torxes." There are 5 styles and usually 10 sizes that are not always interchangeable and seem to be everywhere. Yes HD uses

them and some are torx plus which has a thicker flute. Use a standard torx and it slips and chips the chrome :cry:

Any good tool vender, me, will sell you sets or singles so I suggest you find one and keep his phone # for when you need a special size.

Mitch, just re-engineer the darn thing and make it better :clap:

Joe Frickin' Friday
Shirley the offending bolt can be replaced by one with a different noggin.

Fastenall?

I tried McMaster and Fastenal, didn't see a Torx screw that would work in place of the original. Might be something out there somewhere...

Thjey lock up and eventually become inoperable, locked in the open position, because of wear on the ball retention detent.

When this happened I removed the ball and spring from the pegs.

They eventually wore enough that the pegs just folded forward and were not usable.

They have been removed.

Right one stuck open on me during the Iron Butt 5000 Rally. It ended up not being an issue as it snapped off without damaging the cylinder head when the bike "rolled" at a stop. Once home I removed the broken bits and the left peg and am looking at the ZTechnik guard as a replacement and a place to mount highway pegs.

Did I say I was really disappointed in them? Well, I was and those things are expensive!

Joe Frickin' Friday

Wow, that's a lot of negative reviews of the Sahara pegs. Shame, cuz they're so nicely styled. :(

I haven't installed mine yet. I will try sealing those big open holes with RTV and assembling with gooey high-temp grease that won't melt and flow away when the valve covers hit normal operating temps.

And then hope for the best...

Wow, that's a lot of negative reviews of the Sahara pegs. Shame, cuz they're so nicely styled. :(

I haven't installed mine yet. I will try sealing those big open holes with RTV and assembling with gooey high-temp grease that won't melt and flow away when the valve covers hit normal operating temps.

And then hope for the best...

I've used the same pair of Sahara pegs on my past two RTs. I love 'em! I did have the mechanism lock up once when a bit of grit got into the ball-detent area, but it was very easy to take that peg off the bike and clean it; fixed the problem right up. I don't see that as a big problem. I also lost two of the Sahara bolts (original install didn't use lock-tite), and the company replaced them at no charge including a spare when I called. I'd recommend folks do a lot of research on highway pegs before they decide the Sahara's are not for them. I think they're a good product, but they are expensive!

Wow, that's a lot of negative reviews of the Sahara pegs.

Well, I absolutely love having them on my RT and I've had no problems after 40K miles. Keep them lubed and that should be sufficient (aside from having to carry an extra tool around now).

Wow, that's a lot of negative reviews of the Sahara pegs.

Well, I absolutely love having them on my RT and I've had no problems after 40K miles. Keep them lubed and that should be sufficient (aside from having to carry an extra tool around now).

+1

Archived