IGNORED

Service cost at dealerships

Gargoyle

My 03 1150RT now has a little over 24,000 miles and is due for a major service. Wanted to check with the group as to what you have paid in the past for this service or any minor and major service at your dealerships.

I live in Northern California and have so far called one dealership who has quoted me $600 to $700 for the service :eek: . I've been told that it was a major service at 24,000 miles and that the belt was due for a replacement as well. The service would be around $600 plus a $100 for the belt.

I plan to do my own service in the future as soon as I can find a techday in my area to join and learn how to perform my own services. By the way how do I find out about those techdays in this forum?

In the meantime the bike is due for it's service and I'm going to have to get it done soon.

Thanks,

Dave

Obviously it would pay you to learn to do routine service yourself. Lotta knowledge to be had on this site. Check out IBMWR.COM Lotsa info there.

I do plan to do the service myself in the future, but I'm not very good learning from a book and would prefer to learn with someone who has done the service several times before. I've tried the learning from the book several times in the past on my Yamaha cruisers and have made some mistakes that were painful to fix afterwards.

I'd rather avoid that pain with my new to me RT and do it right the first time.

Poster: Skywagon

I have an 05 1150RT. A couple of months ago I spent $900 at the dealer for 24k which included a new set of Michelin PR II's.

That would be about right with two tires added to the $700 quote I got. Thank you.

David-

On my '04 RT "major" services (every 12k) were approx $600.00. If I'm not mistaken, the alt belt isn't due for replacement until 36k miles, though....

-MKL

Instead of waiting around for a tech day, maybe you can "entice" a forum member who lives in your area to give you a personal tech day some weekend soon. Maybe someone else is due for a service and would appreciate you picking up the parts for him.

I had such private tuteledge and will be forever grateful. The last "service" my bike had a dealer was at 600 miles, 3 days after the purchase.

IMO, being able to do your own service is one of the biggest advantages of owning a BMW Boxer. I'm not a mechanic; never will be. But, I can do a regular service on my RT. I can only imagine how much money I've saved the past 148k miles.

BTW, you don't need an alternator belt, but you do need a fuel filter.

Get the servo-assisted ABS brakes bled if nothing else. That module cost $2,500 when it tanks. They say every two years, but mine was almost black in two years. Big pain to do as it has embedded circuits and you cannot bleed like some old car. Dealer said it took two of them to do it and it was pricey. The non-servos are more of a you can do it yourself thing. Your eating up a lot of parts on that 24K service too, maybe $225 worth (belt, filters, oil, brake fluid, mineral oil for clutch, gaskets, etc.).

jazzy

My 03 1150RT now has a little over 24,000 miles and is due for a major service. Wanted to check with the group as to what you have paid in the past for this service or any minor and major service at your dealerships.

I live in Northern California and have so far called one dealership who has quoted me $600 to $700 for the service :eek: . I've been told that it was a major service at 24,000 miles and that the belt was due for a replacement as well. The service would be around $600 plus a $100 for the belt.

I plan to do my own service in the future as soon as I can find a techday in my area to join and learn how to perform my own services. By the way how do I find out about those techdays in this forum?

In the meantime the bike is due for it's service and I'm going to have to get it done soon.

Thanks,

Dave

Try bribery...announce "free beer and lunch" and you'll have a whole driveway full of guys, some even knowing what to do!

(schedule it, they will come!)

Don J :wave:

David-

On my '04 RT "major" services (every 12k) were approx $600.00. If I'm not mistaken, the alt belt isn't due for replacement until 36k miles, though....

-MKL

I subscribed to that notion as well until I heard some strange noises coming from the alt belt area and decided to investigate. My belt was toast at about 28K miles and given the way it looked when I replaced it I'm shocked it hadn't exploded well before that.

Try bribery...announce "free beer and lunch" and you'll have a whole driveway full of guys, some even knowing what to do!

Interesting strategy, but go heavy on the food and light on the beer if you want a good job. :thumbsup:

My 1999 RT had 64,000 miles on it when I bought it, and I took it to the dealer for the "minor" service, which ended up being a little more because they also replaced the oil sight glass. Barring catastrophe, that will be my last service visit. The lock nut on the right side throttle cable wasn't set (which I discovered when I did my first carb sync), and I got the engine running far better than the dealer did. If I ever buy another BMW, it will be a boxer, in large part because I enjoy doing my own maintenance, and the boxer design, despite technological updates, still encourages owner maintenance; or at least it doesn't discourage it in the way that a DOHC 4 or 6-cylinder engine that is buried in the frame does.

I looked at the procedure for checking the valve clearances on the engine of my Honda Fit, and I gotta tell you, I'm not sure it's a job that I want to tackle. My "maintenance" on that car may be limited to oil/fluid changes and tire rotations.

Dealer said it took two of them to do it and it was pricey. jazzy

That's B.S. I do it on my wifes KRS every two years. It is intricate but one person can do it in about four hours.

Dealer said it took two of them to do it and it was pricey. jazzy

That's B.S. I do it on my wifes KRS every two years. It is intricate but one person can do it in about four hours.

That is up to $400 labor charge.

FWIW Dave,

The last belt I bought was around $9.00 at NAPA. Just an example.

The OEM belt is $27.07 at A&S in Roseville according to their parts fiche (P/N 12317681841).

(schedule it, they will come!)

Don J

Thanks Don. That's the answer I was looking for. :grin:

Sounds like you don't ride much. At 3K a year a lot of stuff tends to dry out and moving parts get stuck together from lack of use. Users like that are better of going to the dealer, pay the price and get it done correctly, if you can find a dealer with good techs.

Doing you own service in the future, you'd be lucky to do an oil change a year.

Mo bettah, you find some one to ride the bike for you and keep it exercised and send you pictures of the places it's been. :P

Actually the 1100's/1150's are fairly easy to service and don't need a lot but they do like to be used. If it sits, it will degrade in the barn.

Archived