IGNORED

R1200RT Adjusting Headlight Throw

Pickaxe

Has anybody noticed that the handbook instructions for lowering the beam throw is back to front (or is it just my bike). On my R1200RT, if the lever is flat (position B in book),

the beam is higher than when moved to the upright position (position A in book).

All pretty academic, but when I came to adjust it because the beam was far too high, it all became a bit confusing.

I can't even find the lever.
Can't speak for the 12RT for sure, but on the 12GS, some have them, some don't. It seems early production GSs were missing the adjuster.
I can't even find the lever. Probably right in front of my nose but sure doesn't jump out at me.

As you sit on the bike its to the left of centre and just below the dash. You can hardly see it unless you stoop down.

I can't even find the lever.
Can't speak for the 12RT for sure, but on the 12GS, some have them, some don't. It seems early production GSs were missing the adjuster.

There was one on my March 04 GS and I'd be surprised if BMW didn't fit them, as they've always fitted them right back to the 1980s.

Thanks. I'll check it out in a few.

I can't even find the lever. Probably right in front of my nose but sure doesn't jump out at me.

As you sit on the bike its to the left of centre and just below the dash. You can hardly see it unless you stoop down.

Are U sure? there are TWO adjusters on the 1200RT headlight.

One on the lower right side which is the left/right adjustment and the other on the upper left corner which is the up/down adjustment. The one on the upper left has the "flip" adjuster on it.

I was confused about these and tried adjusting the left/right adjuster with a socket but found it did not move the headlight up/down. I got a light and took a close look up inside the dash area and saw the adjuster thingie.

Good Luck

You are absolutely right! I found the adjuster with the flip lever on the left side up under the instrument panel (WAY up under it!)

Its there, works fine. THanks for setting me straight!

Merch

Pickaxe,

Yes I agree with you.

The instructions are back to front on the R12RT.

Even at the lowest setting and with the correct ESA suspension settings, I find that the low-beam is still a little too high. The oncoming traffic thinks I have the high-beams on which is really annoying. I even had my local BMW dealer check the lights and they confirmed all was set correctly. Maybe it is just that these lights are so bright?

Have you had similar problems with other road-users thinking you have your high-beams on???

Tony.

tickle_my_tummy

Might be worth calling to your dealer and asking them to set the headlights whilst you're sat on it.

I tried a number of combinations with the lever and nut and nothing seemed to be right. Blinded a number of drivers I think. Took it my dealer and they re-aligned the headlights. Apparently overlooked in the pdi. No flashing from other drivers since then and a better field of view.

Tony,

I had exactly the same problem as you and found the lights were set far too high. It should have been adjusted by the dealer during the pre delivery check, but as always, it was overlooked.

As with the majority of bikes, despite increasing the suspension preload for a passenger, the lights are still slightly high. The lever is then an easy way of quickly dropping the beam height.

Dave

I am headed to the garage to check again. My GS had an adjustment lever but I am almost positive my new RT does not. I was even supprised to see the asjusting screw on the left does elevation and the one on the right upper corner is left to right movement. Had to work this out because my manual said to take it to the dealer to adjust the headlamp. This is an unrealistic action. I think the average bike rider can deal with this stuff.

Archived