IGNORED

Does New Asphalt equal less traction?

mrfbuyer7

There is fresh asphalt all around Columbus - most of it only days old - since they have just opened up several commuting lanes. Does anyone feel you are getting less traction on new asphalt? It seems the front tires is sort of wavering or gliding over it a times. In turns, I feel a little unsettled and now I am being overly cautious and slowing down to much (well from 75-80 to the speed limit 65) - which is not good in rush hour as everyone is passing me now. Now it is freaking me out a little (probably all in my head). Also I did noticed the front tire is slightly cupped, which probably is not helping. Any thoughts. Thanks

Survived-til-now

You often see water beading up on new asphalt and part of the hot rolling process tends to bring oils/tar up to the surface as a film that takes a while for the traffic to wear off.

I think you are right to be cautious until the new surface has been trafficked, especially if its wet weather.

Same issue around here. The summer freeway work is coming to an end. Lots of new asphalt. You can see an oily sheen on the surface of some of it. I slow down a bit too. I'm usually riding in the right wheel track of the right lane, doing the average speed on the road in order to stay in the gap between the packs of cars, so I'm used to getting passed.

Many El Cheapo local governments are using chip seal or slurry seal to refinish worn roadways. Basically a layer of fresh tar covered with gravel. Vehicular travel is expected to grind the gravel into the tar in the next few weeks after it is laid. For motorcyclists, it's like riding on gravel, terrible stuff.

When it gets hot, the tar liquefies adding additional hazards..this is normally found at intersections while you are turning.

Collision reconstructionists and law enforcement use engineering tables such as this to determine to coefficient of friction on various roadway surfaces. New, sharp "asphalt concrete" is more grippy.

http://mfes.com/friction.html

Many El Cheapo local governments are using chip seal

Or ones without much money to spend cause(well that's another thread)but have roads that need repair.

IMHO, new asphalt does equal less traction overall. And it's most notable on sloping driveways when moving from a standstill in low-traction situations such as rain or snow. The same applies to the road.

But new asphalt on a hot day with hot tires always equals better traction.

Coming home from work one night on a newly paved road, I hit a donkey. The owner filed suit against me for the damage to his livestock.

I was relieved of liability when the judge determined it was the "ass fault".

Survived-til-now

But new asphalt on a hot day with hot tires always equals better traction.

I get the idea about hot road + hot tyres = sticky grippy tyres

but not when that surface tar starts to melt - then its like the whole road is a tar snake.......

Coming home from work one night on a newly paved road, I hit a donkey. The owner filed suit against me for the damage to his livestock.

I was relieved of liability when the judge determined it was the "ass fault".

:rofl:

Around here we get a lot of rectangular patches and strips of asphalt covering the wheel ruts instead of repaving the whole surface. Can go on for miles. Creates a lot of edge traps as well as slick areas.

---

Not that I'm an asphalt expert I think new asphalt equals better traction. Cupping of tires is an indication of improper air pressure which may also be why you feel wavering/gliding, check your tire pressure.

It's part of the National spending to rejuvenate America.

The down side is that since all the motorcyclists are riding less exuberantly due to the slippery condition of new asphalt revenues equated with excessive speed awards are reduced.

It's hurts the local economy to fix the roads that are in woefully poor condition.

Dang the bad luck.

It's part of the National spending to rejuvenate America.

The down side is that since all the motorcyclists are riding less exuberantly due to the slippery condition of new asphalt revenues equated with excessive speed awards are reduced.

It's hurts the local economy to fix the roads that are in woefully poor condition.

Dang the bad luck.

Don't bite your tongue while it's in your cheek! :rofl:

...new asphalt provides less traction. the bitumen needs time to `wear` off, thus exposing the aggregate (stone) that provides the wearing surface. This wearing process then enables the macro and micro textures to do their work providing a hard wearing, skid resistant wearing course!

I wont bore you with the technical differences between asphalt and surface dressing and which is more appropriate!

...and yes I`ve see quite a lot of both types laid in my career.

Survived-til-now

You sound like you know about this :) We have a new asphalt going down on many of our motorways that is much quieter, less rolling resistance, good grip and...... is supposed to have bits of old tyre mixed in :S

As for surface dressing, populalrly used on country roads it's lethal when first laid due to all the loose chipping, ages into a super grippy surface that shreds anything that tries to slide on it (bikes, ankles, leather, skin etc, before finally maturing into something with no grip at all, and of course the tar melts even in this temperate climate. Then they come and dress it again :mad:

Surface dressing, is an economical way of waterproofing and providing skid resitance to carriageways, and doesnt and shouldnt be used instead of proper surfacing...it tends to cover `literally` a multitude of sins!

SMA....what can I say, its being used less and less, its not the miracle surfacing we were promised. Not because of the skidding problems...as I say once the bitumen has scrubbed off the stone will be grippy, but until that time warning slippery road boards should be erected.

Think of it as scrubbing off a new tyre...only it takes a bit longer.

The problem with SMA has been the failure of the wearing course, if its laid on a new binder course (base) its good, if not ...well! Potholes!! :)

Archived