IGNORED

where to mount heat troller

mwood7800

The below pic is of my former '05 R12ST. Though not your RT, you get the idea.

Just look for a space on your fairing that will support the space needed behind said fairing and it will pretty much go anywhere.

123254458-M.jpg

I installed two, one for me and one for the passenger.

If you are sans Radio, use the panel where the radio buttons go. Just remember to wire it with easy release plugs for service when fairing panel is removed?

The panel can be easliy and cheaply replaced should you ever need to.

hth

\v/

I'm just guessing here Phil, but did you use the bulkhead mount Troller as opposed to the rider worn troller? I'll be thinking bout this myself next year. Nice touch with the LEDs.

I'm just guessing here Phil, but did you use the bulkhead mount Troller as opposed to the rider worn troller? I'll be thinking bout this myself next year. Nice touch with the LEDs.

Joe, take a look at my bike next week. I've got the controller in the radio blank, too. I use a Warm N Safe system. Comes with the LED.

Edit: found a pic; the lower knob controls an Amplirider for music, through the Autocom.

IMG_1945.jpg

Yes, the permanent controllers were used.

If you don't have a heat-troller yet, check out Warm'n Safe's remote heat-troller. The adjuster itself is wireless and you can stick it anywhere.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=101&products_id=297

Oh yes! I switched to the wireless WarmNSafe controller just before this riding season. What a pleasure to not have to run wires to the controller. Just one power wire from bike to clothes. Also makes it easy to use your heated gear on multiple bikes with little or no fuss.

05 rt, any ideas where to mount my heat troller?

Hi Mwood

I guess I will differ from the above responses a little.

Personally I like to clip the controller on my jacket belt. That way there is only ONE wire running from the rider to the bike to worry about. If you wear multi heated gear that requires a different heat setting for the jacket liner and a different heat setting for the gloves or feet then it will take 2 separate wires from the bike to the rider if the dual controller is mounted on the bike.

Mounting the controller on the outside of the riders coat also allows the same controller to be used on multi bikes, or in your truck, or even on your snow plow tractor.

+1 on Paul's suggestion to check out W&S remote. Another one I love is Exo's Stormrider - see pages 9 and 22 of my unedited winter gear test here http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnheatedgearraw.pdf to see pics of it unmounted and mounted, respectively. Either one of these choices is head and shoulders above the usual non-permanent Gerbing's or W&S standard heat-troller type designs.

-MKL

thanks for all the help, I ended up mounting it in the left side panel and wiring to the faring socket whitch is wired to a fused relay block. I have always used a dc motor speed control instead of a heat troller, I have one on all three bikes, they can take plenty of amps, and are only 20 bucks and last forever. If I need the socket for something else I just turn the knob to high for 12v..

thanks for all the help, I ended up mounting it in the left side panel and wiring to the faring socket whitch is wired to a fused relay block. I have always used a dc motor speed control instead of a heat troller, I have one on all three bikes, they can take plenty of amps, and are only 20 bucks and last forever. If I need the socket for something else I just turn the knob to high for 12v..

Do you a link or specifics for a DC motor speed controller please? After running a Gerbing controller which has died I just use a switched relay to switch the jacket on/off but it's not ideal.

TIA

\v/

if any interest in a cheap heat troller heres the link, I have had one in use for 5plus years now

heres the link, they work great and can handle up to 15 amps, I use a hot glue gun and coat them well, except for the heat sink, coat both sides, mounted great in the rt near the back of the faring. put your wires on first before you coat..

http://electronickits.com/kit/complete/motor/CKMX033.htm

05 rt, any ideas where to mount my heat troller?

I have the Gerbing "clothing" controller and clip it to my tank bag. I use a light duty, short bungy cord to secure it. Works well, and I can see it okay where it's mounted. However, I only have it mounted maybe 2-3 months of the year. I would like to find a place to mount it permanently where it would not interfere with the zippers on the tank bag, but it's not a big issue for me.

• 2 years later...

Archived