IGNORED

Beating around the Bush

tallman

I think he earned it on the field, and that his financial dealings had nothing to do with it. He made the right decision to forfeit the trophy, but he was still the best damn college football player that year.

I also think the NCAA is one of the biggest bunch of hypocritical douchebags on the face of the planet.

I think he earned it on the field, and that his financial dealings had nothing to do with it. He made the right decision to forfeit the trophy, but he was still the best damn college football player that year.

I also think the NCAA is one of the biggest bunch of hypocritical douchebags on the face of the planet.

How do you really feel Sean?

I couldn't agree more. Did I say that?

Another reason to ban something that is controlled by the all-mighty dollar and is harming some of our best institutions of higher learning...college football. :wave:

I agree 100%. While most folks seem to really dig college sports, I find the overall picture deplorable.

And in the biggest game of the year, RB didn't lead his team in rushing or receiving.

He had 177 combined yards (63 on 2 long plays) and one TD.

Vince Young had 467 combined yards, 3 TD's.

IMO, the best player on the field won the game (41-38), the National Title, and wuz robbed by the Heisman folks.

Pete Carroll knew or should have known, but would do anything (including faking a players suicide) to win.

You ever wander into one of those neighborhoods or parties that you often hear about and know you wouldn't feel at home in? I think I just wandered into a thread like that :eek:

So let me slowly hit the "back" button on my browser and head on over to the COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2010 thread :clap: YEAH BABY! It's kick off season :wave:

How do you really feel Sean?

I couldn't agree more. Did I say that?

+1

Actually, if you polled the nation it's probably more like +306,997,341 give or take the few thousand NCAA insiders.

Vince Young? Oh, please. Bush got something like 800 votes for the Heisman, the third most in Heisman history, while Young got, like, 70. That's another reason I hope they don't give the award to Young. He didn't deserve it then, and he doesn't deserve it now.

And wasn't that "biggest game of the year" played after Heisman voting?

Vince Young? Oh, please. Bush got something like 800 votes for the Heisman, the third most in Heisman history, while Young got, like, 70. That's another reason I hope they don't give the award to Young. He didn't deserve it then, and he doesn't deserve it now.

And wasn't that "biggest game of the year" played after Heisman voting?

The big game is after the awrd is presented.

Perhaps that should change.

There were times back in the day when some voters sent in votes at the beginning of November, puhleeze, some epic performances in rivalry games weren't even counted by those voters.

The issue isn't whether he produced statistics in the games or what the vote total was.

The issue is:

"Included in the instructions that come with the more than 900 Heisman Trophy ballots sent out to media voters and former Heisman winners each autumn is the following rule:

"The (Heisman Trophy) recipient must be in compliance with the bylaws defining an NCAA student athlete."

he was not in compliance, so he is not eligible.

The violations go back the year before to 2004 (at least) and USC has been punished for RB's choices and PC's neglect.

So the douchebaggery of the NCAA (no argument here) or the vote total doesn't matter.

What matters is da rules.

He broke 'em, he got caught, he payz.

We're not talking about selling a game ticket.

Allegations of over $250,000 and benefits to his family, living quarters, clothes, cars, make overs, etc.

would make him a professional not a college player.

Too often cheaters go unpunished, I feel no pity for RB and his choices.

Now, hypothetically, if the Heisman vote was after the Texas win in the National Championship, and given the performance of VY, who really thinks RB would still have won the award?

Not me.

Sean, as a former player I respect your insight into the game, but we'll likely agree to disagree about this.

Best wishes.

"The (Heisman Trophy) recipient must be in compliance with the bylaws defining an NCAA student athlete."

Yes. But here's the thing, Bush lost the Heisman by acknowledging he was not in compliance with the NCAA's hypocritical bylaws. He lost it. But that doesn't mean Young won it. He didn't win it. He didn't even come close. The Heisman Trophy Trust assumed all candidates were in compliance, and so voted for the most outstanding collegiate football player.

Young wins the NCAA Bylaws Compliance Trophy, but not the Heisman. If they do decided to award it to him, I hope he does not accept it (and I expect he wouldn't).

Who cares. The vast majority of Heisman winners have gone on to achieve nothing in their pro careers. Some never even see playing time more or less become a starter. Its' almsot a curse.

They should award it to more defensive players. After all, defense wins championships and defensive heimann winners have been quite sucessful at the pro level. the argument being that offensive players as individuals often have the greatest impact on their team's performance. Vince Young proved that. I might argue that players like Suh prove that too.

They should award it to more defensive players.

A very big :thumbsup: to that.

At the college and prep level, defense rules the game (and I'm not just saying that as a former SS who's always loved defense). As far as the Heisman is concerned however, I think it's much harder to pick a single, outstanding defensive player, for the basic reason that defense is much, much more of a team effort than offense. A great running back, for instance, can be a game changer on an otherwise average or pedestrian offense, and he'll stand out in the eyes of fans, the press, the Heisman voters, etc.

In John Heisman's day, players played both offense and defense. Today that's rare even at the Div. II and III level, and virtually unheard of on FBS teams.

I think the Heisman Trust should award an offensive and defensive player each year, but alas, like the Highlander, there can only be one....

Archived