IGNORED

Bike Tip Over

pnhmpm

I had a tip over with my 2004 RT taking it off the center stand. After the tip over it smoked from the oil in the cylinder. I have ridden it about 30 miles, and although I didnt notice the smoke I can still smell something burning. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BTDT too. :cry: My incident caused fuel to go into the recovery canister and clog it up. Then got the dreaded hissss when opening the gas cap and then, of course, the crushed sender tube. :eek: We are canisterectomized now. :Cool:

And it is probably worth checking the drain on the air box......it is more likely that substantial oil could take that route, than past the rings. It could work its way into the intake for some time, if you don't drain it.

At least it didn't hydro-lock on ya, and bust the starter, STRANDING YOU, like I experienced last year at Toulemene (renamed TipOver) Meadows in Yosemite. Was it the Throttle side, or Clutch side? Was the machine running at the time? During this learning experience, mine was running, almost stopped, and on the Throttle side.

As previously mentioned, you should drain the air box. Oil will work it's way into the Catalitic Converter and it will smoke for awhile.

Not sure if this problem affects other model years, but if this does happen..lesson learned..PULL THE PLUGS, AND TURN OVER THE ENGINE, FORCING ANY OIL OUT OF THE CYLINDERS PRIOR TO TRYING TO START IT!! Just a word to the (now) wise.

I am a new this year 1150 rt rider. I also owned an 1100gs. I have tipped over the bike once and had quite a few near misses. I do not have an inseam problem. Is it just me? Is the R1200 better?

Hi pnhmpm

It isn’t just you. The BMW 1150RTs ride pretty top heavy. Lot of fuel carried way up high, grabby brakes, fairly high seat, somewhat narrow handlebars.

I know quite a few very experienced riders that have tipped the late model BMW’s over, mostly due to the high seat and shorter legs.

The 1200RT is slightly better as it weighs a little less but the early 1200RTs still had somewhat grabby brakes at low speeds. The later 1200RT’s with the new generation I-ABS-2 brakes seem much better at low speed as the brakes are easier to manage at low speeds. The 1200RT also has some low seat and low frame options that do seem to help short legged people a bit

I do know a few short riders that are very good experienced low speed riders and haven’t had any tip over problems at all.

If you worry about low speed tip overs go practice your low speed and parking lot maneuvers. On thing to look at is on-the-lock turns, if you can’t turn circles in both directions with the handlebars turned completely to the steering locks then you need more low speed practice. Get that head turned to look ALL the way through the turn and carefully very lightly modulate the rear brake only while carefully modulating the clutch in the gray zone.

One thing that I have going is a I ride with a group of riding instructors that pride themselves on precision low speed parking lot maneuvers and low speed bike control. We constantly practice on the lock turns, slow speed “actually stopped in a lot of cases” no feet down, full lock ride off’s, controlled U-turns in 15’-16’ confined areas, etc.

One thing I have personally learned over the years of riding high top heavy bikes is rider awareness. Look for “and avoid” loose gravel, sand, or stones at time to put your feet down. If you can’t avoid it just be aware that it can cause a foot to slide out at ‘ANY’ time. Look for and avoid if possible off camber stopping places, if you can’t avoid them just keep in mind to always stop with the bike leaning to the high side not the low side. If stopping on a road crown or high center remember the reach to the ground on each side of that raised section is farther than normal. Even something a harmless as a little stick on the pavement can cause a foot to slide out and allow a bike tip over. Always try to stop or low speed maneuver with the handle bars straight ahead. If you turn the bars more than a few degrees never use the front brake unless you are really heads up on the effect of front brake application with turned bars.

Welcome to the group and welcome to Beemerdom. I think most all of us have had a tip over or two and fortunately, the low speed or almost stopped type usually do not result in any damage.

Dirt Rider has given you some very good advice, but his last 2 sentences say the most. Most of us have had tip overs whilst in slow speed manuvering situations. Keep the bars straight when stopping and DO NOT hit the front brake when the bars are turned. I think your 04 has linked brakes, but I am not sure. In any case, I use the rear brake if I have to stop with the bars turned.

Make sure that your side stand is locked in fully forward position before resting the bike on it. My most embarrassing / aggravating tip over was in front of a coffee shop with my friends watching. The side stand wasn't fully in position and over she went. My so called friends laughed and didn't even offer to help me right the bike.

Practice low speed turns and stops in a parking lot and you will overcome the beast.

Great advise here. The other suggestion I will make is that doing any kind of limited space maneuvers with a top-heavy bike is way easier if you have a little speed, just over walking speed, which will help the bike stay upright. That works way better than dead-slow where balance becomes critical and very tricky.

Francois_Dumas

Took me 5 years to finally tip over the 2004 RT, but I managed eventually. And I'm a long dude with strong legs... doesn't help when destiny catches up with ya :grin::grin:

One more tip: don't forget to take of the front disc lock if you don't want to tip over in the parking lot or garage. .

One more tip: don't forget to take of the front disc lock if you don't want to tip over in the parking lot or garage. .

Theoretically speaking, of course ;)

Hollow Road Rider

Now that I have switched from an '04 RT to an '10 R1200 GS I realized that all those tips, and near tips that I had were more of the bike's tendencies than mine. The new GSA is lighter, and even with a full 9+ gal fuel tank I'm more comfortable than on the RT.

Mr. Dirtrider above had some great advice. I wish I had known that stuff earlier, at least I would not have felt so dumb.

Yeeha! Stephen

If it flopped on the left side, it could be a little seepage from the filler cap and running down the cooling fins. Thinned out it would be hard to see but really smelly.

A tip over will probably happen, will happen at some time.

I think there are a couple of things beyond what the others have posted.

Make sure you have room around you when you stop if you have ANY fears of tipping, ie gravelly surface, off camber etc. so that if you do go over, you, body wise, have somewhere to go.

Traffic areas, side of road etc are bad as you can be thrown quite a distance by the sling shot effect of the bike, you do not want to end up in traffic.

As soon as you feel you are not going to be able to hold it.

You will know the feeling it goes something like. "Shit ..."

Get your feet back on, or above, the pegs and let it go. Generally you will be thrown off the bike and do at least one roll.

Better this than having your leg or ankle caught by the bike and broken. DAMHIK

I have a fair bit of experience with tip overs, dirt riding and stupidity, and my last was just bad planning on my part, I had nowhere to go and the bike trapped me between it and a guard rail.

I should never have stopped there. :dopeslap:

As mentioned above practice, but be aware it could / will happen sometime somewhere and good habits and foresight can still leave it embarrassing but allot less painful.

I am reading way too much discussion on tip overs. It sounds to me that some people are tying to pilot too much bike. If you are riding a bike where you have to think about what to do in the event of a tip over everytime you come to a landing, maybe a smaller bike would be a wise choice.

I'm a relative newbie to big bikes and have had my share of drops (not on the new bike so far (knock on wood)). My dumbest on the 1100RT was turning slowly into a parking lot and not shifting down. Still in 5th, the engine killed and I was spilled unceremoniously onto the asphalt, breaking the right mirror.

I am reading way too much discussion on tip overs. It sounds to me that some people are tying to pilot too much bike. If you are riding a bike where you have to think about what to do in the event of a tip over everytime you come to a landing, maybe a smaller bike would be a wise choice.

Certainly a possibility although the majority of mine were on a Bultaco Alpina 250 when I was a strapping young man pushing the limits of control in trials competitions.

Now of course trying to ride a fully loaded GSA for a three month trip could have contributed to my last experience although I had been on the road in Alaska for four weeks when it happened.

My point is the ride doesn't stop until you are off the bike and settled in for the night. And awareness of where you get off the bike is just as important as any other part of riding.

I even know guys that have had tip overs in show rooms!

And at camp grounds when the side stand suddenly sinks in the ground.

Wow, a tip over in the showroom would have to be the most embarassing moment ever. Yeah, I race hare scrambles and enduros and if you don't fall, then you are not going fast enough!

You're right though, you have to think about how you leave your bike, especially on soft ground.

Wow, a tip over in the showroom would have to be the most embarassing moment ever.

Hi Cris

Tip overs in Ducati and Aprillia show rooms used to be a common thing. They had spring loaded side stands that automatically retracted the minute the bike was lifted off the side stand. It didn’t take most dealers long to figure out to use tie straps to keep the side stand from automatically retracting when a potential customer sat on the bike.

It is a lot of bike and has its tendencies to tip over. You should always be thinking ahead prior to coming to a landing. (everytime) Nature of the beast.

"I even know guys that have had tip overs in show rooms!"

Well, that happened to me about three years ago. I wasn't straddling the bike but pushing it around in the showroom, my job. K1200S, when putting it on the side stand the stand wasn't fully down and the bike fell over! The darn thing kicked me over and broke my leg! I wasn't embarrassed. I was MAD!

Hollow Road Rider
I'm a relative newbie to big bikes and have had my share of drops (not on the new bike so far (knock on wood)). My dumbest on the 1100RT was turning slowly into a parking lot and not shifting down. Still in 5th, the engine killed and I was spilled unceremoniously onto the asphalt, breaking the right mirror.

Oh those damn RT mirrors!

1. I had had Bonbon the 97 rt for about 6 months. I stopped at our local bakery to get a maple bar and didn't figure in the dip in the gutter next to the sidewalk and over we went. Amarena Red is not easy to find. I call that time my $500.00 maple bar.

2. Stopped at a pull out on hwy 108 past the Sonora pass to take a picture. Stepped down on marbles and away we went. I could not for the life of me get enuf traction to right the bike and had to wait for an old couple to come along in thier p.u. and help. No damage except to my pride.

I sold the bike as we just were not compatable. I had never in over 30 years of riding tipped over one of my HD's. Now along with my HD., I ride a F650 Gs, and my next one will be the 650GS twin.

No, that is not quite right. Back in '72 when I had just gotten my 71 Electra Glide, I went to pull into my garage and there was that dang gutter and when I went to put my foot down, there was nothing there as my back tire was on the road and my front tire was going up the garage driveway so there was a big dip right where my feet would go. Inexperience and stoopidness. Broke the windshield off above my upper lip below my nose. Cut it badly too.

Tip overs in Ducati and Aprillia show rooms used to be a common thing. They had spring loaded side stands that automatically retracted the minute the bike was lifted off the side stand. It didn’t take most dealers long to figure out to use tie straps to keep the side stand from automatically retracting when a potential customer sat on the bike.

Add early K-bikes to the suicide sidestand club. I saw a pristine red K750RT in a showroom last year, sat on it, then got caught in no-man's land when I tried to get off, and the sidestand retracted itself. Fortunately, two onlookers came to my rescue, in the process mentioning that there was a kit to disable the auto-retract "feature".

malcolmblalock

Several drops with my RT. Most memorable was at a rest stop somewhere south of Anchorage. I had left it on the center stand with my helmet sitting on the seat as usual.

Used the facilities and when I got back to the bike, decided to check the oil.

Rather than putting the helmet on the ground, I decided I could rock the bike down without dropping my helmet. Bad idea!!!

As the bike moved forward, the helmet started falling off the seat. Like a dummy, I grabbed for the helmet, only to knock it completely off the seat. By then, my control of the RT was over. Both helmet and bike had to be picked up!!

Ever feel dumb? Like up the word in Webster's; you'll find my picture!

Add early K-bikes to the suicide sidestand club. I saw a pristine red K750RT in a showroom last year, sat on it, then got caught in no-man's land when I tried to get off, and the sidestand retracted itself. Fortunately, two onlookers came to my rescue, in the process mentioning that there was a kit to disable the auto-retract "feature".

K75 bikes had a feature that the side stand retracted when you pulled in the clutch, mechanically activated by the clutch cable. With the bike's weight on the stand the clutch lever felt like locked and you could not bring the stand up. With no weight on the stand you pulled the clutch and up came the stand. I found it a very useful feature - over 300K miles on K75.

Hollow Road Rider

My picture would be right next to yours Siman00. When I first got my 1150 RT I was practicing my slow speed stuff on the quiet side streets, and as I approached a Stop sign before a right turn, I thought I had down-shifted to first when I had actually only got to neutral. I accelerated and listened to the engine rev higher and higher as I slowly stopped all forward momentum and fell over -- like the guy on Laugh-In.

Funny stuff. I do think about my "stopping area" very much as I approach it. Looking for any dips that my short legs won't reach, or sticks or gravel that would cause my landing foot to slip. I can only reach the ground with one foot, so I mentally think about what leg will make it's touchdown before I come to a stop, depending on the footing, camber of road, etc.

What I don't do is look at an area and think about the best place to lay it over if I do tip over. That's like riding a dirt bike and staring at the tree you desperately do NOT want to hit, because you usually end going right where you are looking.

Here are some pics from a "BMW Track Day", actually, it was a very small go-cart track, we all thought they were crazy, but the purpose was to show the low speed handling abilities of the newer BMW's! In the pics, it looks like the bike is moving quickly, but actually is about 5-10mph! The idea was to get around the track as quick as possible, without using the brakes, difficult at first, but pretty soon you got the hang of it! We all had to laugh when a BMW race bike rider, dumped a brand new K1200S in the second corner! Cold tires, over confidence, and an inflated ego can get the best of us!

I still try to find an empty parking lot now and then to brush up on very low speed, full lock to lock maneuver. Once you get the hang of it, the bike seems to weight about half of what it really is!

5245.jpg.2c7a80239c8bb3d504d9f82cf4f61080.jpg

Archived