IGNORED

Quirky, different and non-standard state laws for driving.

AviP

I searched here and couldn't find a post about it so here goes. I'll organize it by states. Here's a start based on my personal knowledge.

MA:

1. You can pass on the right on multi-lane one-way streets or highways.

2. You can turn left on red from a one-way street to a one-way street.

NY:

1. In NYC only, you cannot turn right on red unless posted.

2. In NYC only, the default speed limit is 30mph unless posted.

In Indiana, you cannot fire a 50 caliber machine gun from a prone position, from the hood of a '57 Buick, on an Interstate Highway, on a Tuesday.

You are also not allowed to throw a cigarette butt from a car window. Think this would have been covered by littering laws, but they made butts special.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Minnesota is also this way.

In Michigan you can turn left on red from a two-way street onto a one-way street. Blew me away the first few times I saw it after moving here; I thought was some kind of local scofflaw tradition, but it's the real deal.

Minnesota is also this way.

In Michigan you can turn left on red from a two-way street onto a one-way street. Blew me away the first few times I saw it after moving here; I thought was some kind of local scofflaw tradition, but it's the real deal.

Is this not the case everywhere? I thought it was.

The one I didn't understand, and maybe I still don't: In Vancouver BC (canada), they have a flashing green light. I didn't know if I should slow down, hurry up, look for peds... What???

The one I didn't understand, and maybe I still don't: In Vancouver BC (canada), they have a flashing green light. I didn't know if I should slow down, hurry up, look for peds... What???

We have those in Ontario, Canada. Flashing green light is an advanced green. This means you can proceed straight or make left and right turns if you have the flashing green. The opposing traffic has a red. These are great and they keep traffic moving well.

"...is an advanced green..." Huh?

Do you mean the people seeing the flashing green have the only green showing - i.e. the cross traffic AND the oncoming head-on traffic still has a red?

I have always wondered whether it is legal to turn left (from one way to one way) from the second left turn lane (i.e. the second lane from the left, which has the option of going straight or left, where the left hand lane is a left-only lane).

Do you mean the people seeing the flashing green have the only green showing - i.e. the cross traffic AND the oncoming head-on traffic still has a red?

That is correct. The flashing green has preference and all others have red, including pedestrians (although pedestrians are prone to go at any time and running over one of those makes you guilty, even if you had the right of way).

The flashing green works well in a "civilized" country like Canada. You Americans need to have your turns managed more closely. :)

That is correct. The flashing green has preference and all others have red, including pedestrians (although pedestrians are prone to go at any time and running over one of those makes you guilty, even if you had the right of way).

The flashing green works well in a "civilized" country like Canada. You Americans need to have your turns managed more closely. :)

I still don't get it, why a flashing green :S Sounds like the same thing as a steady green. Guess I am uncivilized, but sounds like another way to spend tax dollars on something that seems unnecessary . :eek:

Yes, you've got it. It's basically the equivalent of you having a left-turn arrow, a straight-ahead arrow and a right-turn arrow simultaneously. Everyone else, as you suggest, has a red.

...Flashing green light is an advanced green. This means you can proceed straight or make left and right turns if you have the flashing green...

Thanks for clearing that up. I had guessed that it meant the light wasn't timed, but only tripped by a sensor on the side street, and thus, unlikely to change.... Now I can drive with confidence in the great white north. :-)

"...The flashing green works well in a "civilized" country like Canada..."

ooohhhhh - if I wasn't so civilized I would come up there and steal all your little coke cans and pee in your snow. :grin:

In actuality, we have the same priority lighting set up down here in Florida, but it's colored red, or maybe yellow.

Indiana passed a road rage law a few years back. You can be ticketed for driving in the left lane of a multi lane hwy. no matter how fast you are traveling. This was passes because ALL Illinois drivers stay in the left lane ALL OF THE TIME and will not allow anyone to pass them. :grin:

This July thay also passed a bring your gun to work law. You may keep a gun in your vehicle on company property. You must be able to legally carry a gun (easy in Indiana!)and the weapon must be concealed (in a trunk or glove compartment, etc.)

"...The flashing green works well in a "civilized" country like Canada..."

ooohhhhh - if I wasn't so civilized I would come up there and steal all your little coke cans and pee in your snow. :grin:

In actuality, we have the same priority lighting set up down here in Florida, but it's colored red, or maybe yellow.

We were in Ft. Meyers this past spring and you can get old waiting for those priority lights to cycle through every permutation and combination.

You should come up and visit us in Canada more often. We haven't had those small coke cans for 20 years.

We were in Ft. Meyers this past spring and you can get old waiting for those priority lights to cycle through every permutation and combination.

That's why they are in Florida :thumbsup:

Archived