IGNORED

Four southwest states in spring/summer

roughwaterjohn

roughwaterjohn

Hey all,

I'm planning a ride for sometime in May/June of next year through four southwestern states. Any suggestions or recommendations on alternate or better routes would be appreciated, as would comments on the time of the year I plan on going. I really hate cold weather, and although I don't mind riding in 100+ degree weather, I'd really like my chances of 80's-90' degree days to be pretty good.

It's a bit convoluted, but I want to make sure I at least see the following places;

Bullhead City (Don't ask. Really..... don't ask), Grand Canyon, Canyon De Chelly, Mesa Verde, Arches National Park and Santa Fe (or any other artist or artistic towns). I'm looking forward to seeing interesting geological structures, and most certainly interesting ancient Indian sites and/or cliff dwellings. I'll probably give myself two weeks for the trip, so I can stop whenever I want and enjoy what I see.

Here's a link to my tentative map. Don't pay any attention to the directions on the left, they were just a rough draft to get the map started. (For some reason, BMWST doesn't allow links, so you'll probably have to copy and paste the link).

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=114775135973358844019.0004901a7c91f28bc20cf&ll=34.976002,-112.08252&spn=12.410439,27.949219&z=6

Thanks!

As long as you are at Arches, be sure and cross the street (more or less) to upper Canyonlands; the Island in the Sky as it is known. Lower Canyonlands is certainly worth a visit as well, especially if you have time to do some hiking. I've not checked out your map but you must ride Highway 12 from Bryce Canyon up to Torrey, then 24 past Capitol Reef (be sure and ride the scenic drive along the Waterpocket Fold). You are now in the vicinity of Moab and Arches.

If you included the NORTH rim of the Grand Canyon, instead of the more commonly visited South Rim, it would be a lot easier to then include Zion, Bryce, and Arches, all of which IMO are "imperative". You could save the South rim, Monument Valley and Sedona for the next ride.

roughwaterjohn

I've updated the map, and will probably continue to do so as I get suggestions that work with my current plan. Thanks ElevenFifty for the tip on the link.

Any suggestions on my time frame, late May-early June?

If you haven't been to Sedona, it's a must see. I might also go through Salt River Cyn on 60.

Big art gallery town in Scottsdale.

I would take a detour and head down hwy 191 on the eastern edge of AZ. Lots of curves! I was there last March and it was cooold at the upper elevations, but you should be good in May/Jun.

I prefer the first or second week in June. It will still be rather cool in the am at that time of year. You shouldn't have to sweat any... :clap:

I notice you are riding to Chaco Canyon - I might point out that the ride from the highway to the park is probably the worst washboard dirt road you will ever ride. My brother riding a 2001 GS fell on the road and broke his ankle. You will enjoy the Indian park - nothing like it in the US. You can also take the south exit about the same length in miles and a bit better road.

At Canyon De Chelly- you will not be allowed to ride your bike into the canyon - you can take a horseback - or army truck tour through the canyon. The sand in the canyon is 18" to 24" deep - making most Motos unusable. You can ride both the North and South Rim at no charge. There are numerous hotels there and the Indians run one at the park -$$$ food is good.

i did not notice if you included Monument Valley - but if did not - I would include it - it is located just west of Mexican Hat, Utah

roughwaterjohn

Thanks all, for the great ideas, suggestions and info so far. Right now, looks like I'm leaning for the first two weeks in June, after Memorial weekend.

I have been to Sedona and Jerome before, and enjoyed both. I'll have to miss them this time though. I'll be riding my 1100RT-P, so dirt roads are not in cards if I can help it. I don't mind alternate routes or other transportation methods if it will get me into the sites I'm looking for, and I enjoy hiking. I won't be attempting to ride out to visit the sites, but I would like to be able to ride up to a visitor center, parking lot, or trailhead if possible.

Thanks!

As far as interesting geological locations go, I don't think they get any better than these two: Antelope Canyon, and The Wave. One is dirt road mandatory, but once you see the pics you could change your mind about that.

I prefer the first or second week in June. It will still be rather cool in the am at that time of year. You shouldn't have to sweat any... :clap:
I would think that in the desert areas the first two weeks of June would already be hot. Middle two weeks of May much better and fewer people about.

By the middle of June, Bullhead City will be over 110 every day. But it's a dry heat (y'know, like a blast furnace).

Phoenix is almost as bad. I rode across town last year in shorts (having forgotten the ATGATT rule)and got home from 45 mins on the freeway with mild first deg burns on my shins. So much for "if you ride faster it won't hurt as long."

We take the heat seriously out here -- Plan lots of water (much more than you think you'll need), cool vest, neckerchief to keep damp, whatever you can do. The siesta idea didn't come from nowhere.

Other:

A number of good comments in the previous list. I would second the recommendations for Arches, Monument Valley, Antelope Cyn, and Cyn de Chelly, 191 from Eager to Morenci -- all stunning.

A couple of other points:

South rim of the Grand Canyon is where the dramatic views are. North rim is quiet, but unless you go out to Cape Royal, you don't get the views. True, south is crowded, but the crowds are mostly at Mather point and around the GC Village. Go out to some of the other overlooks -- Grand View, Lipan, and Moran are my favorites -- they are often deserted even on the busiest of days. If you've never seen the Cyn, go to the South Rim -- save the North for your second trip.

While at the South Rim, try to allow time to take in the afternoon ranger talk on the recovery of the condors. You may see some of these spectacular birds, but the story of their come-back will give you chills. Used to be at 1600 on the lower level at Artists' Cabin, but check at the VisCtr.

If you do Sedona, find Airport Mesa and drive up there for the view. Lunch or Bkfst at the Red Planet Cafe is a hoot (or the famous place -- the Coffee Pot). And be sure to ride 89 through Oak Creek Canyon between Sedona and Flag.

Have a great trip --

JJ

Phx

Archived