IGNORED

Tools needed for tire change on 2009 r1200rt

Bill246

I have looked thru the search and did not find the info that i would like...What T-? socket do i need to remove rear lug nuts to remove rear tire....also i have tps does it have to be reset after new tire is installed owners manuel not much help...Ty for info

It is not a "socket" it is a T-50 "bit". Sockets are female, bits are male. No TPS reset is required.

The man asked what size "T" socket he needed...

They DO make "T" sockets, just like they make allen sockets..in 3/8 or 1/2 drive..

So, the correct answer would be " a 50mm "T" socket, in the appropriate drive size, 3/8 or 1/2".

:wave:

....assuming the lug was female and not male. :dopeslap:

MB>

Bill,

You can get a "cheap", but usable set of Torx bits at Harbor Freight tools. The good ones can be had from OSH or Sears. I think Kmart now carries Craftsman tools now, as well.

Buy quality tools.

Nothing like saving a buck ant the damn thing breaking the first time you use it in an emergency situation.

Cheap helmet, cheap head.

Cheap tools, cheap project.

I always carry some cheap tools for true emergency use. Use once and throw em. Some poor fool stole the emergency kit, sure hope he really didn't need em. They also make good loaner tools. I never loan my high quality tools but feel bad if I can't help out.

My niece and nephews have all learned on cheap tools and so truely appreciate the difference a quality tool can make. Knowledge is where you find it and cheap tools are a "learning experience" that never goes old.

FWIW I have a Nomar tire changer bolted to my floor, have no issues changing the fronts on my 05 RT. I am able to remove the rear, but have not yet been successful in mounting a rear, in three tire changes I have always had to go to the dealer, and have them mount the rear using their Hoffman equipment. I suspect this is due to the shallow well found on the rear RT wheels, any other tires on other bikes I own are easily done using the Nomar, but the RT is a bitch. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Fran

I have a Nomar also and have not yet been able to mount my rear on 4 tire changes. I always havta take it to a local shop and he charges $30 to put the final lip on. + he won't let me watch.

Frustrated! as it is 99% on. The 1% is a bitch,

I have a HF and have changede sevveral dozen rear tires with no issue. Very frustrating at first but once I learned the technique, it is a breeze. Review the nomar video and duplicate it EXACTLY and you should have no problem. Use plenty of the jell lube an the "third hands" device.

FWIW I have a Nomar tire changer bolted to my floor, but the RT is a bitch.

I use a Nomar, a third hand yellow thingy and three tire compression things. Takes a few minutes per tire. Tools are a T-50 torx bit of the 3/8 variety for rear lugs, a 15mm to loosen the muffler to cat clamp, and I forget the which torx I use for the muffler to frame clamp- might also be T50 for simplicity sake. On the front I use a special axle "male" tool available almost in every BMW or m-cycle accessory store or web site. Get a set of 6 or 7 torx bits as already mentioned. I think a T-25 and T30 are needed for the fairing screws. A short 1/4 drive ratchet is needed for a couple of them. But you only asked for wheel tools so I digress.

Front is easy.

The learning on the rear is about two tires. The shallow drop center on the rear is certainly the problem. If you follow the Nomar vid like mentioned above it will work fine. Watch it again if you must. Watch it again for a refresher. Write down the steps. Follow your notes. Have your wife watch it so she can tell you what you are doing wrong. Mounting gel must be applied as per vid or it will not go on smoothly. The third hand also helps a lot and don't put gel on the tire or wheel where you want the third hand to go or it will just move on the wheel.

Maybe someone can go help chapparal

I think a T-25 and T30 are needed for the fairing screws. A short 1/4 drive ratchet is needed for a couple of them. But you only asked for wheel tools so I digress.

Fairing screws are T-25 and T-27.

JayJay

I think a T-25 and T30 are needed for the fairing screws. A short 1/4 drive ratchet is needed for a couple of them. But you only asked for wheel tools so I digress.

JayJay

Hate to differ with you JayJay but I believe the two lower in front of the cylinders are T30. I just went out to the garage and verified. A T30 fits perfect. A T27 will fit in a T30 but it isn't the correct size. The other way around will not fit.

JayJay

Hate to differ with you JayJay but I believe the two lower in front of the cylinders are T30. I just went out to the garage and verified. A T30 fits perfect. A T27 will fit in a T30 but it isn't the correct size. The other way around will not fit.

Well I'll be dipped, it is a T30. I just went down to my garage as well, nice snug fit too. Got to wonder if there exists a T26, because that T25 fit sure is loose.

There are Torx sockets, I have a set of them and Torx box wrenches. But a "50mm" Torx socket is odd. I believe it is a number 50 Torx. (50mm is about 2 inches)

Archived