IGNORED

Drive shaft U/J failure

RichardSpag

Just had a universal joint die on the motorway - not a nice experience! Clues to the impending disaster were the development of lurching when changing gear (similar to if your clutch throttle co-ordination was bad) over a few hundred miles and a slight increase in vibration in top gear at motorway speeds. Actual failure was a combination of severe vibration and loud noise from the drive shaft. Upon inspection the swing arm near the rubber gaitor was warm to the touch (presumably from the U/J making contact?). Failure at ~85K miles for those that are interested.

Cheers

Richard

Which end of the drive shaft? And how are your splines?

This is not a very common occurrence.

Common enough to happen to my wife's 2007 GSA with 45000 miles on it, 1800 miles from home on a trip to Alaska this summer. That was fun. Universal seized in one direction, got lucky finding it when I was checking her tire pressure.

The rear u-joint on my 2005 R1200ST failed at about 25000 miles, and out of warranty. BMWNA paid for the $650 part. I paid for labor and considered myself fortunate.

On the subject of "fortunate", I found the impending failure while the bike was parked at home, less than a week before a planned road trip.

Bob

Don_Eilenberger
Common enough to grenade on my 03 RT at 31K but 7 months past warranty, so BMW passed on help. Fixed that unreliable machine and unloaded it.
Good of you to stop in to remind us how stupid we are for riding the damn things..
Common enough to grenade on my 03 RT at 31K but 7 months past warranty, so BMW passed on help. Fixed that unreliable machine and unloaded it.

That reminds me.....I need to go on all the old forums and tell everyone that they still have crappy bikes I'm glad I sold.

I certainly get your point, but was that last comment really necessary? I suspect this isn't the first time you've reported this incident, so why the drama?

Archived