IGNORED

Digital compass and temp gage

dgrooman

Im interested in finding a mountable compass and temp gage on my 1100RT. Of course it would need to be at least weather resistant. Anyone know of anything like that?

I use this on my R1200GS:

http://cgi.ebay.com/auto-motor-car-temperature-water-temp-gauge-Thermometer-/140444352709?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b322c0c5

Runs on one battery. Has remote temp. sensor. Gauges that measure at the gauge are not good. Not officially waterproof, but I put some tape on the back where the openings are and behind the windshield no problem. I have it for a few years now.

I went to Petsmart and bought an aquarium therometer. Ran the sensing probe out to the mirror housing to avoid engine heat.

For a compass, I just went to Auto Zone and stuck one on a ball and socket joint under my dash lip. The double sided padded tape was effected by heat and the compass fell off on a ride. Should have used RTV.

---

"I went to Petsmart and bought an aquarium therometer. Ran the sensing probe out to the mirror housing to avoid engine heat."

I think a aquarium thermometer would not show temperatures colder than freezing. I would like to see those temps.

Nice n Easy Rider
"I went to Petsmart and bought an aquarium therometer. Ran the sensing probe out to the mirror housing to avoid engine heat."

I think a aquarium thermometer would not show temperatures colder than freezing. I would like to see those temps.

Paul, here's one that claims -10 to 140F and for $7.29. Don't know why you'd need those lower temps in aquariums or terrariums though.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/thermometer2.html

I don't remember it ever not working except being over 120 parked in the sun after a long ride. Low max for me has been 22 degrees and it worked.

---

If you're planning to use a magnetic compass, you really need one with compensation adjustment. The steel and electricity in your bike will always screw up an uncompensated compass.

Something like this one.

And then it has to be adjusted properly. Maybe for the average guy, it's not that complicated, but you get the idea.

Having said that, digital compasses are usually electronically compensated.... For my money, a gps is infinitely more useful.

Aerostitch thermometer is mounted on my RT dash .....Ran sensor up front under the fairing and cinched it there with a fairing screw using a zip tie...Sticky backed velcro to the dash....Easy...It's accurate too...

http://www.aerostich.com/navigate-communicate/scooter-clocks-compasses-thermometers/thermometers-and-gauges

Here's a poor quality pic of it taken while riding down the Columbia River registering 104.......... :P

harveyP-R2-050-23A.jpg

I also have had zero luck with any compass on my RT's. Use handheld GPS now for it, but sometimes it's overkill.

There are plenty of rides where I'd prefer not to use the GPS and just have a simple small usable compass.

Hand held is way 2 go.I still have my old marine unit with multiple screen options.One option is a copass that takes up entire screen.

I am sure Craigs List or Ebay has some CHEAP used handhelds out there.

Archived