IGNORED

Pulled the trigger on a stich !

EddyQ

I decided new gear was in order. Last fall I got myself a deal on a FG Torrent mesh jacket and it has done its job this summer keeping me cool. Although, it is not a serious piece of protective gear. The arm armor flops around due to loose fitting sleeves and it is a PITA to zip in and use the liner. My old black leather chaps was never very protective. My old FG black leather jacket is the only real piece of gear I own, but lacks any modern safety features for consicuity and weather protection.

After reading many threads across a number of forums, the Aerostich roadcrafter was my pick. I considered an Olympia Phantom, but there are a lot of folks complaining about donning. There are several very expensive euro outfits, but none ensure success like the RC. Motoport was attractive, but I don't like the idea of a rain liner. I mostly commute and that I where the roadcrafter shines best. Sure, it may leak a bit and fashion isn't great. But the track record of this gear is far better than anything. There might be better stuff out there with more modern features and such, but none with the same track record. I wanted more protection so I opted for the optional back and hip armor. I went for the two piece, since it allows me to use the pieces with other gear and choose a different pants color (ALL hiviz is too much for me). Jacket is HiViz with black ballistics and pants are grey with black ballistics. The armor is all TF3 which I almost asked to upgrade to the temperature stable TF4 (last minute I bagged the idea thinking I could always upgrade and have both). Ordered it today.

How did I do? Should I change anything?

Well, I am very excited. Can't wait til it arrives.

I prefer the 1 piece for typical commutes because it is fast on/off compared to a 2 piece. BUT, I prefer 2 piece for other types of riding due to flexibility and don't use my 1 piece on road trips- there its 2 piece RevIt mesh stuff above 60 with other layers in the luggage (eg a phase change material jacket for a liner). In winter I go to non-mesh 2 piece for the road trips and pack the electric gear.

I think you'll like the quality and they'll work with you on fit if you need adjustments. (I add a little to a 44 so I could use additional layers underneath, more comfortably)

They do need some break in- that cordura is stiff when new.

Also, some of the (gals, I assume) putting them together have weak hands and don't crimp the zipper stops at the bottom hard enough. If one shifts it won't open, etc. Suggest you put a little extra crimping force on them when you get it.

Mines only a couple years old but they are good stuff made to last....

Have never crash tested any of my gear o no comments there. Hope to keep it that way...

Well, Sparky, as a winner on not one but 2, count them two, Aerostich prizes at rallies, I gotta love the 2 piece Roadcrafter. I also got the Darien set as a back up.

The Road Crafter is a more snug fit that gets tighter as I age and put on the pounds. But I like for its' function. Easy to get in and out of and comfortable.

The Darien is a more loose fit and with the snuggy liner is very comfortable but a more generous fit. Also when new they are stiff as a board! I need to use it more. It's still like unused after several years. It's being ignored in the garage.

Note to myself, wear the Darien!!!!

You are gonna love it. Be careful though and try on the set when you get it. Aerostitch will work with you on size but unless you try it on in the wearhouse, you may get a bit different with what you tell them. My 2 piece Roadcrafter is snug, the Darien is generous.

If you are a big stout fellow you will look like the Michelin man in a Roadcrafter. Maybe rediculdocol. The Darien might be a better idea.

After many months of stuffing the Roadcrafter in my locker at work it broke in well. After a number of yearly washings and almost daily use, it fits like a glove. Albeit well worn.

THe velcro will wear and the zippers will get balky but it's still great.

I have a new 2 piece RC and love it. I don't use the hip armor because you can't use the zipper access to your pockets so I got some thinner hip armor and cut it in two pieces then velcro'ed it to each side of the zipper and it is great. May not be quite as think as Stich armor but I can get to my pockets and my hips don't look like a 60 year old woman (here come the flames).

868482500_HRhBp-L.jpg

I've never had my 2pc RC leak. Been commuting in it since 2003 in Seattle.

Before you get too far with your order, I would highly recommend calling and ordering a suit or two (in random colors) just to try on, and then send them back. Worth every penny. I ended up springing for the custom pants. When the missus got hers, she decided to order a different size as well.

Nothing sucks worse than waiting for it, and having it not fit right. And nothing's better than having it fit perfectly.

Before you get too far with your order, I would highly recommend calling and ordering a suit or two (in random colors) just to try on, and then send them back.

Yup, that is what is happening now. The suit in the mail is the wrong colors but with my best guess size. If not absolutely perfect fit, we will try again. I waited quite a while for this suit, so I can wait again until it is the best fit.

I don't use the hip armor because you can't use the zipper access to your pockets so I got some thinner hip armor and cut it in two pieces then velcro'ed it to each side of the zipper and it is great.

John, thanks for your great idea here. I did look over all your threads resulting in your purchase of the RC. AND this issue with the hip armor. The woman at Aerostich said if you don't use the velcro on the bottom of the armor pocket, you can use the access pocket. Sounds like poor solution to me so I plan to try it with the suit that is coming now and see how it goes. I may be asking you exactly what hip armor you have there in a week.

Bought mine in 96 & it still works as advertised. Biggest surprise about owning the suit for all these years, I can still get my big arse into it. :grin:

Pat

Have not seem it mentioned so it may just be me but one of the things that I really needed with my 1-p RC was a zipper repair kit. The lining in the legs is loose enough (in mine) that it routinely snags in the zippers if I don't hold it back with the 3 fingers not used to pull the zipper. First time it happened I thought it would require drastic surgery, then it finally let go. Twice zipper pulls were yanked off trying to get the snags undone. A coworker (with a Stich) pulled out his zipper repair kit and kindly offered the correct size while recommending I get a kit to keep handy. So I'm passing on his advice, get a zipper repair kit, I keep my in the bike glove box.

I've learned to be just ever so careful while zipping, but this was probably the one of the few disappointments in a suit of this caliber($$$), that you would actually need such a kit, and that it doesn't come standard with one. Again, maybe it's just me...

John, I think they may have improved their process. Mine is sewen/sealed with tape back a full 1/2 inch from the zipper and that issue never happens. I do have that issue on my Savannah II BMW jacket which I love but do have be very careful on the arm zippers.

John, I think they may have improved their process. Mine is sewen/sealed with tape back a full 1/2 inch from the zipper and that issue never happens.

Interesting... I added tape in that area but it wouldn't stay. Good to know they'll change a product to address a shortcoming.

Bought my 2 piece Stich in 1995, and it's still terrific.

Good idea to buy both sets of pads. The standard pads get really stiff in the cold.

RiderWearHouse does a great job renewing the Stich after years of use. I've had this done once, and it's due for a second renewal after this season. Comes back like new. They'll replace zippers, Velcro, whatever. Makes the big original investment that much more worthwhile.

John, I think they may have improved their process. Mine is sewen/sealed with tape back a full 1/2 inch from the zipper and that issue never happens.

Interesting... I added tape in that area but it wouldn't stay. Good to know they'll change a product to address a shortcoming.

I recently found myself near Duluth and dropped off my jacket over lunch and they upgraded my 5+-year-old jacket with the latest and greatest and even replaced a couple zippers and Velcro that they felt were worn-out!

Bought my 2 piece Stich in 1995, and it's still terrific.

Good idea to buy both sets of pads. The standard pads get really stiff in the cold.

RiderWearHouse does a great job renewing the Stich after years of use. I've had this done once, and it's due for a second renewal after this season. Comes back like new. They'll replace zippers, Velcro, whatever. Makes the big original investment that much more worthwhile.

I just sent my 6 year old Darien in for refurbishment. This will be the first time for that. I don't see anything on the market that I would prefer above my 'stich.

Joe

The trial 2-piece suite arrived yesterday. Today I had some time to list out all the goods and bads. I really hoped it would fit like a glove. Unfortunately , it is off quite a bit.

Let me first explain my size. After about 30 minutes on the phone with Christina, she suggested a size 42R jacket and 42R pants. My waist is really 34 and my chest is 38. But, based on the added hip armor, back armor and need for added warm liners, we bumped it to size 42.

The lengths of the legs and arms seem perfect. The sleaves are a little loose, but not bad at all. Legs are also not overly loose over the entire length. The knee armor fell nicely into place when I mounted on my bike, feet on the foot pegs.

But the waist to the chest is all wrong. First thing is the jacket is not flared enough to fit properly over the hip armor. It is very tight before I sit on the bike. After mounted on the bike, the added creases at the waist make my tummy very uncomfortable. But, at the chest, I can pinch 4 inches! Really big in the chest.

The waist on the pants also has issues. Off the bike there is plenty of room. While mounted, the front of the pants is above my belly button and exerting lots of tightness on my stomach. Not comfortable at all. This is with jacket completely open and not contributing to the problem.

The third problem is torso length. It isn't off much, but I think it needs to be better. While mounted, feet on pegs, riding possition, there is over an inch of space at the shoulders where the jacket is lifted near my neck. If I lean far forward, the jacket tightens. But, the fit becomes perfect when I lie all the way down head against the tank. Conclusion, torso is off.

So, I called Aerostich. And a new kid (Brad) thought I needed next larger pants and next smaller jacket. I'm not convinced. Should I call back and ask for someone more experienced? That's what I plan to do. Do any of you know of a really experience person at Aerostich I should ask to talk too?

Seems to me, my shape differs from their "model" which has wider chest than waist. My waist/stomach area is slightly wider than my chest. Perhaps a result from getting older and drinking beer. I don't expect my chest changing as I age, but my waist. . . . well, bets are off. Plus, with the hip armor, the waist issue worstens.

So, how to get the right fit? I figure 44 pants. Perhaps stay with R (regular). It gets more complicated with the Jacket. I say, get one smaller and have an alteration at the waist (flare or something). The trick is getting the torso correct, since there doesn't seem to be a standard alteration for that. Any thoughts/tips before I call them back again?

I'm on my second Roadcrafter 2 pc since 1988. Single best motorcycle accessory investment I've ever made. Great suit. Can't beat it for utility and protection. Also, I haven't carried a rain suit since I bought the first one. I wash it at the end of each riding season, let it dry completely and treat it with a full can of Camp Dry. Doesn't affect the breathability of the Gortex and you can take a full shot from a fire hose and not get wet!

Archived