IGNORED

Russell Day-Long Seats

cranezilla

Has anyone out there tried the Day-Long seat from Russell.

I am looking for a more comfortable, longdistance seat, longest day so far on the R12RT is 800+ miles, it does need a better seat for distance.

Got the same quest for my ST. 852 miles is the longest day, but my bum is sore after about 150. If Russell works well, I can ride there and hav it done while I wait (for a small additional fee).

IMHO Russell is still the best seat you can get. I don't ride on anything else for the last 10 years and a few 100K miles. There are othe good ones, Rick Mayer, Rocky Mayer, Cee Bailey, etc., but my pick is still Russell.

Im 5'6 160lbs and really like my corbin. It was a pain to put on but I rode it 500 miles once no problem (thats the longest Ive done in a day on the GS) Heated seats are great too. Ive heard good things about the Russel seats, but they are a little wider and therefore raise the effective seat height which i couldnt afford.

We love the R12RT, but hated the stock front and rear seats. How can something look so good and feel so bad? Russell made a set of seats to our specs, and even put in softer foam around the "package" area for me per request (it makes a difference). The "wings" that provide the good, wide butt support also hinder the ability to extend the legs straight down at a stop. With a 34" inseam, it is little more than a minor bother. All in all, the seats are great, as are the people at Russell.

Russell is the best seat I have owned. Multiple 1000+ mile days with no discomfort!

Prior to my Russell, I had the stock seat and a Corbin. Both seats were uncomfortable for me after about 150 miles of slab.

(Please note R1100-RT, not R1200-RT)

Fuuny part of this is that the Day-Long seat from Russell, design, was purchased from Bill Mayer. He had a period he could not make seats then came up with a new design. Bill passed into Gods hands about 3 years ago and one of his sons continued that business and Rockey split off doing his own design (both are good as is the Russell). Yes I have a double Bill Mayer, built three months before he passed, and love it (in leather). A custom seat will always be more comfortable, but make sure to ask if their design supports the heated seat option (some do not). There is another Mfr. that has airflow in the seat. Check vendors in the K1200lt.com web site, have heard good reviews on this one too (none bad or marginal, all happy). thumbsup.gif

I have a Leather RDL on my R12RT (Rider and Pass). Put about 8K on it so far. Great seat, very satisfied. Huge improvement over the stock seat. The folks at RDL are great to work with. I can provide pics if anyone likes.

Best,

Bill in Scottsdale.

IBA 6175

I have a Russell on my R12Rt and love it. It's my third Day Long. I Have 15k miles no the bike and just finished a 3k mile trip, putting in some 12 & 13 hour days. My seat is heated using the factory setup, it works great since we were in some 28 degree weather with snow.

That's a great looking seat. Now the questions begin....

Is that vinyl w/ velour inserts or two-tone?

What helped you to the material choice you made?

How about quilting pattern?

You guys have me 'sold' on a RDL, now just need to work out the details.

Thanks

Merch

My seat is all vinyl. It is two tone. It is the rectangular pattern. I ordered a leather (it's supposed to be a little cooler) insert but they made a mistake. It will go back this winter. In my opinion the old quilted pattern is dated looking but may ventilate better.

Archived