IGNORED

Raising front wheel for cleaning?

sideways

Is there any really convenient way to get the front wheel off the ground to be able to spin it around for cleaning?

I've been putting the bike on the centerstand and piling heavy stuff on the luggage rack which is a nuisance.

I've heard that Harley guys (who are really into the polishing thing) have little steel levers/stands that can raise either end of their bikes. Does anybody use something like that on a Beemer?

I know, I could get a GS and forget about the whole problem, but I dig that cruise control! smirk.gif

I could get a GS and forget about the whole problem,
Actually no. The 12GS is biased front heavy too when on the center stand.
little steel levers/stands that can raise either end of their bikes. Does anybody use something like that on a Beemer?
Not that I've ever heard. Why not invent it? Make a fortune. Buy us all lunch.
putting the bike on the centerstand and piling heavy stuff on the luggage rack
That's what I do, load up the top case!

Thanks, Ken. That's one vote for my method.

Actually, my intended joke about the GS was about what you allude to in your signature - the relative appropriateness/legality of washing a GS at all!

Being new to the BMW world, don't you use a fork stand to change the front tire? They aren't too pricy (about $70). That would allow you to spin the wheel to clean it, and pull it for changing.

I have found a neat piece of kit in our garden to support the bike, whilst cleaning or replacing the front tyre.....

A 9 inch long house brick tongue.gif

584315-DSCF3464.JPG

584315-DSCF3464.JPG.f16fa604e8d264227adfb94c11b7f05a.JPG

I just took my new RT out fer a l'il carbon blow-out. When I was accelerating over a little rise in 2nd, the front end did exactly what yer avatar shows. The GT never did that! Whatta blast!! I should've bought one of these a year ago! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Please note my avatar.

Of course, that requires an assistant riding along side the front wheel to clean it when it is elevated.

Please send me your assistant's phone number. This appears to be a very efficient cleaning method. Presumably the assistant rides one of those real low Harleys?

Apparently no one on this site owns a car or truck, which by the way, comes with a screw jack that works really well for raising the front wheel on your BMW in addtion to being handy for changing flat tires on the aforementioned vehicle...and they don't charge extra for it (unlike the missing BMW toolkit on my RT)... thumbsup.gif

Is there any really convenient way to get the front wheel off the ground to be able to spin it around for cleaning?

I've been putting the bike on the centerstand and piling heavy stuff on the luggage rack which is a nuisance.

I've heard that Harley guys (who are really into the polishing thing) have little steel levers/stands that can raise either end of their bikes. Does anybody use something like that on a Beemer?

I know, I could get a GS and forget about the whole problem, but I dig that cruise control! smirk.gif

A cheap sissors-jack placed under the motor.

Bob.

Thanks all.

I like the brick idea for its simplicity, but may end up getting a little jack from a parts store as recommended. Rather not dig the one out of my car for this purpose - it's a hassle to get to and to replace.

I guess it depends on how clean you want to get it.

1. I usually clean what I can.

2. Throw my shoulder up under the front fairing and rotate until the dirty portion is in view.

3. Clean that portion.

Sometimes I have to move it twice.

All these answers are great but seem a little complicated. I just put my six year old on the bike. grin.gif He even talks to me and keeps me company. thumbsup.gif

What I did for my older bike, which I use to keep both tires off the ground for the winter, Lift the front end up and see how much clearance I have from the crossover pipe to the ground. Then I cut a piece of 2X4 a bit longer than the bottom of the pipe. Make a V notch in the top of it and it wont slip out. Keeps the front end up nicely. And cheap too!

Archived