IGNORED

golf score

taters

i heard it said that only 5% of golfers break 100. talking about no mulligans, no moving the ball out of a divot, etc....sounds like a good number. waddya think?

Golf???

Staff: Golf course, may I help you?

Caller: What do you have for tee times tomorrow?

Staff: What time would you like?

Caller: What times do you have?

Staff: What time of the day?

Caller: Any time.

Staff: Morning or afternoon?

Caller: Whenever.

Staff: We have 16 times open in the morning and 20 open in the afternoon. Would you like me to read the whole list?

Caller: No, I don't think any of those times will work for me.

Caller: Do you have a twilight rate?

Staff: Yes, it's 15 dollars after 2 o'clock.

Caller: And what time does that start?

Caller: Yes, I'd like to get a tee time tomorrow between 12 o'clock and noon.

Staff: Between 12 o'clock and noon?

Caller: Yes.

Staff: We'll try to squeeze you in.

Shoot, I broke 80 the other day - bI had to use my new scoring method to do it.

See, I start with ten balls. When they're all gone, that's my score.

Pilgrim

Golfer, or people who play golf?

Average USGA handicap centers just above mid teens for the minority of players who maintain one.

So for that group, 100 would be a high score.

For all people who play golf, that may be accurate, depending on the course being played.

Mine are generally lower than that, but nowhere near my best index which was a single digit decades ago.

I rarely play, dropping from 100+ rounds per year to a hal a dozen rounds but my scores tend to range from upper 70's to upper 90's, with anything belwo 82 a rarity.

Never practice and at times don't hit a provisional ball when I should resulting in a drop rather than stroke and distance.

I like to give my playing aprtners short putts, and hope they return the favor.

Typical round includes some outstanding shots and some rejects with the short game dictating score range.

7 to 9 GIR's is a good day, goal is 12.

My ringer score many years ago on home course was -24 having eagled 4 of 5 par fives and 8 of 9 par fours.

Alas, no hole in one, but plenty of hole outs from the fairway up to 165 yards away.

My play can be very erratic.

I had a round with 6 birdies and an eagle and shot 81.

:dopeslap:

Was playing in a large group using modified Stableford scoring and won a small fortune.

:cool:Most I ever had riding on a putt was in a private scramble and a 40 foot putt on 18th hole won the team $500.

I rarely meet my overall goals these days, 24-27 putts, 12 GIR's, one chip in, no lost drives, but have fun anyways.

Fore!

:P

Sister Mary Pristine returns from vacation visiting her family, and reports to the Reverend Mother.

"Well, how was your time with your parents and siblings," Sister.

"Oh, it was awful," Reverend Mother. "I played golf with them. You know I used to be an avid golfer before I came to the convent."

"Yes, I know."

"It was terrible," Reverend Mother. I even blasphemed!"

"Heavens. Do tell."

"It was on the fourth hole, a 400-yard Par-5 screamer with a dogleg right loaded with sand traps, and an uphill approach to a blind green."

"Sounds terribly difficult, Sister."

"It was. But I got hold of one. Sweetest swing I ever laid down. Got every bit of it, too. The sensation went all the way to my toes. The ball looked like it was never coming down. Then all of a sudden, it hit a bird and just dropped to the ground."

"That's devastating, Sister. Is that when you blasphemed?"

"No, Reverend Mother. I held my tongue. But what's worse is that a squirrel ran out onto the course and made off with my ball."

"But that's just nature, dear Sister. You should have understood that and not taken the Lord's name in vain."

"I didn't, Reverend Mother. I was proud of myself for withholding my anger. Suddenly, though, a hawk came and scooped up the squirrel and the ball and took off across the sky. Then a bolt of lightning frightened the hawk, who dropped the squirrel. The squirrel landed on the green, the ball jarred loose and it rolled to within 18 inches of the cup. And throughout all this, even when I thought the ball was lost, I managed to hold a civil tongue. You see, at first I thought it was God helping me out. But then. . ."

"You missed the fu(&*ing putt, didn't you, Sister."

That seems a tad pessimistic to me.... I've only been golfing for five years, and I broke 100 right away (well, within the first year of playing anyway).

That seems a tad pessimistic to me.... I've only been golfing for five years, and I broke 100 right away (well, within the first year of playing anyway).

Trouble with the windmill?

---

I golf on a league, 9 holes once a week. I'd say that is probably typical.

3 of my friends and I went on a golf trip with about 20 guys I did not know from the east coast. My foresome was always amazed by how fast the other guys played and how good the scores were. Then I actually played with them. The moved the ball around, didn't count a penalty stroke when the went out of bounds and picked up any putt that was a drivers length of the hole. I could save 10 or 15 strokes a round with that method too.

We call the type of golf where you set the rules, don't count strokes, have 5 ft. Gimmees and a few Mulligans, move the ball to where it works for you, Fantasy Golf. It makes you feel good, the score is good, and you can brag in the bar. Enjoy it, there are no crowds cheering one way or the other, just be honest with yourself and call it what it is.

We call the type of golf where you set the rules,

but many courses have local rules

don't count strokes,

you do know when, according to the rules of golf, a swing is not a stroke, right?

have 5 ft. Gimmees

you do remember Jack Nicklaus "giving" the final putt in the Ryder Cup (over 5 foot) and then sinking his to win, right?

and a few Mulligans,

provisional ball is legal

move the ball to where it works for you,

you have seen the "lift/clean/place" in effect at PGA tournies, right?

Fantasy Golf.

Since professional golf requires players to call penalties on themself, I call all the ones that depend on officls Fantasy Sports.

Can you see an NFL DB calling interference or holding on themself?

It makes you feel good, the score is good, and you can brag in the bar.

What else do people do in a bar?

Enjoy it, there are no crowds cheering one way or the other, just be honest with yourself and call it what it is.

:grin:

:wave:

We have rules that cover fireants, washouts, erosion, etc. that are all part of the ROG.

I recall a couple of tournaments ago a player in contention missing the 18th green so far left he had no shot.

But, because of the stands he was allowed to move to a drop area where he could then get up and down.

No way that would happen from where the ball had ended up.

My point is that there are few absolutes in golf.

There are the rules, and then the huge book of Exceptions.

Best wishes.

:thumbsup:

ShovelStrokeEd

The only place I can match the proficiency of even a weekend golfer is in the cussin' department. My swing has been likened to that of a lawn chair unfolding. I think I could probably better my score with a modified Happy Gilmore method, ie a tennis racket and a pool cue.

That is one hard game and I don't have enough time left, after devoting 50 years to pool playing, to learn another.

Archived