IGNORED

(Another!) Fuel Gauge Issue

pdes

Just had the fuel gauge changed on my 2010RT. It failed at 6000 miles just as my 2008RT did! What an appalling situation for a fault of this nature to be so prevalent but not fixed at source!! Shame on you BMW!!!

Anyway, the new gauge works but, as before, is very inaccurate. The warning light comes on when there is still a third of a tank left and the range goes past zero when there is a good 50 miles left. This morning when I filled to the brim, the gauge advised that the tank was just over 3/4 full and a 60 mile journey ended up with a greater range shown than when I started! Did I get a free journey? :clap:

This is a long-winded way of asking whether there can be any further calibration of the gauge or whether it's position in the tank can be altered - sounds like it should be lower in mine. I would like to understand this so that I can have a "sensible" conversation with my dealer.

Apparently, BMW are going back to manual floats next year. Hope they retro-fit.

Cheers

You can check on previous threads on this subject, but I understand that R&R requires both replacement of the internal monitoring strip as well as calibration via BMW's service computer. If you just had it replaced and are having problems - obviously your bike is still under warranty, I'd bug the dealer until they make it right. They may only need to recalibrate.

In California, USA, we have a "Lemon Law" in effect, something along the lines of, if a new vehicle is returned for service for the identical component > 3 times in a certain period - the company buys your vehicle back. You might find out what legal remedies exist in the UK. If I put out the cash for a new 2010 and experienced this well-known (nearly universal?) fault, I'd be hammering BMW over and over again until it's fixed - or use the legal remedies at my disposal.

I love the product, and yeah, I set my odometer with every fill up .. but come-on now, a fuel gauge system that you CAN'T RELY on is a joke. I've run out of fuel 3x with my bike in a year's time - once was "my bad", the other times was due to the faulty gauge. I'm not going to part with $400+ to repair this on my own 2005 BMW, knowing that I'll be lucky if the repair lasts a year. Since your bike is under warranty, you have better options available to you.

- Scott

Hi Pdes

I really don’t know what is going on with those fuel strip failures but I am now on my 5th one and the last 2 have acted just like yours is now. In fact my 5th never worked correctly so I will on my 6th soon. On most fill ups it only goes to ¾ tank showing after a fill up then as I ride it slowly increases in range remaining to empty.

My dealer has been very friendly about replacing those fuel strips but very ineffective about rectifying the problem.

I just wish they would put more time into root causing the failure as personally I don’t think it is ONLY the fuel strip involved in the failure. As I have been riding long distances with these partially operational fuel strips I have been trying to understand the problem and when it works and when it doesn’t.

My last few fuel strips seem to almost work correctly in very warm weather or with hot fuel in the tank. That somewhat leads me to believe the fuel strip heater isn’t doing it’s job or there is a resistance between the fuel strip terminals and the fuel strip itself.

The other possibility is the dealer’s calibration process or installation procedure. I talked with a gentleman at the Finger Lakes rally last weekend and he also went through a number of fuel strips from his dealer with no real improvement to his fuel gauge. He told me he finally went to a different dealer and the strip they installed works perfectly.

Maybe it is an air flow issue across the fuel strip as it hangs in the ambient air during the pre installation calibration, or something in the fuel that oxidized the fuel strip connector terminals, or maybe as simple as not using a battery charger to keep the system voltage constant during the calibration process.

Presently I am waiting a while before having another fuel strip installed hoping for an improvement in the fuel strip quality or maybe just a BMW service letter to the dealers suggesting a different or better installation or calibration process.

At times it really doesn’t bother me as I always reset the #1 trip set at fill up but at other times but when I am traveling long distances in a hurry it is a real pain as I never know my exact fuel range to empty as my fuel mileage varies from around 220 miles per tank to a little over 300 miles per tank full. That means a couple of extra fuel stops to be on the safe side.

Don_Eilenberger
Apparently, BMW are going back to manual floats next year. Hope they retro-fit.

Cheers

That rumor has been around for about 3 years that I know of - and surprise! No manual floats have appeared, nor do I expect them to.

Hi Don

There might be some truth to the new rumors. The current K1300 went back to a float type system over the fuel strip. I suppose if that works and eliminates the fuel gauge issues it might be a test for up coming RT and GS systems.

It is indeed a sad state of affairs. I haven't bothered correcting mine, relying instead on the trip odometer for a rough guess at where things are, but mine is out of whack as well. Hell, any halfway decent car from 20-25 years ago had more accurate fuel tank and "miles until empty" readings. In some ways these niggling issues are harder to forgive than something more mechanical or major, because it just smells of cost cutting or otherwise low rent components on a high end bike.

-MKL

PS Don, sorry about my incorrect M3 post on FB. I was confusing that engine line with something else.

My first strip went April '09. Since then, I've made sure the gas nozzle points a bit to the right when gassing up. Nock on wood, the gauge is still good.

My first strip went April '09. Since then, I've made sure the gas nozzle points a bit to the right when gassing up. Nock on wood, the gauge is still good.

I stand on my head when gassing up, so far so good. :/

I stand on my head when gassing up, so far so good. :/

What, you don't stick your tongue out? Your FD is bound to fail. Oh, wait... :P

I've had two fuel strips replaced under warranty & my only complaint is...when the RID says zero miles, it MEANS zero miles to empty. When the bike was new zero meant I had reserve, which was about 1.1 gallons. I miss that.

What, you don't stick your tongue out? Your FD is bound to fail. Oh, wait... :P

Now that's just mean.........Does that really work? :S

No. If it did, I wouldn't have had to have mine replaced at 23k.

I have repaired to fully functional 2 gas gauges using the following proceedure. Fill the tank all the way up add 1 full can of chevon techron let it sit for 2 days or more run the bike refill with gas And reset the computer by pulling the positive and negative battery cables from the battery and hold then together for 10 seconds. That it worked on two different Rts a 2006 and a 2008. I just consider it a maintenance item ........sulfur deposits on the strip maybe? Do not know but it works so far.........cost $7.00

Did you try it without the techron?

Many of these failures are so new I doubt deposits are built up yet. Mine was defective from the moment it left the showroom.

Thanks for the suggestion and I will surely try it before I drive 3 hours one way to the dealer.

Yes .....techron solved my issues which maybe different. Do not know but I figured in both cases 2 HR ride to the dealer and wait etc....or $7.00 seems like deal to me.....

I had the fuel level problem on my 06 1200RT. Took the strip out of the tank, took the strip out of the holder, did not find any problem, reassembled, and now it works! I think it may have been a bad connection at the end of the strip. If it screrws up again I will do the same thing again.

Archived