IGNORED

Newb question re 6th gear

Gargoyle

Just got my 03 RT about 3 weeks ago and I'm still trying to get used to it. Thanks to the folks on this forum they've taught me to rev the engine high to 4,000 RPM for best running results and to load the shifter before I shift to the next gear.

Everything appears to be working well since I've gotten used to revving the engine higher and not bogging the engine down when up shifting except for the 6th gear.

For some reason I hear a lot of noise from the tranny on 6th whenever the engine is under stress like going up hill or passing a vehicle using a standard roll on. The noise on the 6th gear is similar to the sound that you get when you shift to the wrong gear and don't have enough revs/speed on the bike. The strange thing is that the bike is usually at 70 to 80 mph when I hear this noise which doesn't seem right to me since I've got enough revs and speed on the bike. It doesn't have the noise when I'm on a straight and even road or when the bike is not being stressed as in passing or going up hill. Other than that the bike runs very well. The bike has over 23,000 miles so it's due for it's next 6,000 mile service. Last one was done at 17,751 miles. Previous owner was an older gentleman who had all the bike's services done at the dealer he purchased the bike from and from all the dealer records I've reviewed there has not been any mention of an issue with the tranny or the 6th gear.

Is this something I should be worrying about? Will the 6,000 service which includes the valve adjustment and tbs resolve this problem? or is this just normal with the RT's.

I'm finding that there are a lot of differences with these BMW's from what I've gotten used too with my japanese cruisers and sportbikes so I'm just not sure what to expect is normal and not.

Thanks in advance for your help,

A throttle roll on in top at 70mph uphill is going to strain the engine slightly (or massively if you give it anywhere near full throttle). At 80, you should be at 4000rpm or slightly greater and it should pick up cleanly there.

You need to stop worrying about revving this bike. Boxer engines, BMW, VW and Subaru all sound busy when you rev them but in reality, they're lazy, low revving engines which produce great torque. Change down rather than lug and give the engine some air to breathe. With light traffic, I try to make my changes at 4000rpm+. On the open road or on a freeway, I get up to above 5000rpm-6500rpm before I shift. If you want to see what your bike's made of, start letting the engine spin. Overrevving though, is not recommended.

Cheers,

Linz :)

Hi David,

I know the noise you mean and if it's any consolation, mine does the same.

It feels, as you say, that you are in too high a gear. But at 70/80 you're not.

I know a lot of people talk about revving the nuts off these machines. I am not one of them. However I do endorse the argument the other way...These bikes hate being lugged in too high a gear at too low revs. That is not what you are describing.

As I say, mine has done it for years and no sign af any problems (gearbox oil looks good etc).

Did you buy your bike private from this gent, or from a dealer?

I would doubt if a service will improve this, however a change of oil in the gearbox may help. (possibly a move to synthetic).

Andy

I can't speak to the 6th gear issue, since mine only has 5, but I will say that, without doubt, my bike comes alive when run between 5,500 and 7,000 rpms.

There has been much discussion here, and if I get the impression that a general consensus is that the addition of 6th gear didn't really do much for the R1150RT.

Crank it up!

All R1150 bikes have a extremely high 6th gear, a real overdrive type. At 4.000 rpm it was running about 85 mph. For any acceleration, passing, hills, I was in 5th or lower. It is a steady speed Interstate gear. OTOH crossing Kansas/Nebraska/Dakotas/Saskatchewan I loved it.

Hi Andy,

Purchased the bike privately fr the guy. He lives about a block fr the dealer where he purchased the bike, and took it in for all it's services.

Dave

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the feedback. Makes me feel a whole lot better about the bike.

These bikes are so different fr the norm that I'm used too with my Japanese made bikes that it's really got me confused. Im really glad that i found this forum. Everyone here has been really supportive and has helped me to get to know the bike better.

I'm really starting to love the bike, specially now as I'm getting used to how the bike really works.

just downshift. as paul indicated 6th is really an overdrive. 70-80 in 5th won't hurt a thing.

70-80 in 2nd or 3rd won't hurt anything either, and when done at Fishlake it will bring a big smile to your face. :thumbsup:

I ride an 1100 5 speed. A lot of times I will run in 4th going 60 mph if in an urban situation (blacktop jungle) like on expressways in the city. 4,000 rpm and the bike is ready to Jump into duty anytime I want. Any kind of twisties and I drop it down a gear. Quicker power and better engine braking.

I get better fuel mileage too.

David

I am truly dissappointed that someone hasn't already recommmended bouncing it off the rev limiter occaisionally.

First time you do it will get your attention.

Sometimes I leave it in 6th, other times kick it down to 5th.

6th gear, with normal throttle openings is 85+ for mine.

less than 85 mph, need to go easy.

these things rev, i hate to bounce off the rev limiter, espcialy when you need to pass with a car coming the other way. the bike is still pulling and accelerating when it happens

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the feedback. Makes me feel a whole lot better about the bike.

These bikes are so different fr the norm that I'm used too with my Japanese made bikes that it's really got me confused. Im really glad that i found this forum. Everyone here has been really supportive and has helped me to get to know the bike better.

I'm really starting to love the bike, specially now as I'm getting used to how the bike really works.

Just make sure you practice with those power brakes if you aren't used to them yet.

I am truly dissappointed that someone hasn't already recommmended bouncing it off the rev limiter occaisionally.

First time you do it will get your attention...

I remember my first time very well. I was riding in a spirtired manner while listening to Boogie Wonderland by Earth Wind and Fire on the afore-mentioned Fish Lake. I opened it up as I hit the long flat area near the lake and wondered why the bike was lurching. Looking down I saw I was still in 3rd and traveling in excess of 30mph. ;)

Yeah, I had my nice little experience with those power brakes when I first picked up the bike and was riding it home. I had a brain fart and forgot about the power brakes. Stomped on the rear brake as I came up to a stop sign to try and scrub some speed off, and it nearly catapulted me out the front of the bike. :rofl:

Needless to say I quickly learned my lesson on that incident. "Respect the brakes"

Yeah, I had my nice little experience with those power brakes when I first picked up the bike and was riding it home. I had a brain fart and forgot about the power brakes. Stomped on the rear brake as I came up to a stop sign to try and scrub some speed off, and it nearly catapulted me out the front of the bike. :rofl:

Needless to say I quickly learned my lesson on that incident. "Respect the brakes"

Keep those brakes in mind when going around a turn (u-turn) while going slow.

You certainly got a nice RT from what I can see in the small pic. I like the black, and you don't see too many of them - around here anyway.

70-80 in 2nd or 3rd won't hurt anything either, and when done at Fishlake it will bring a big smile to your face

Now that is man who knows how to make the bike sing. I love it!

Archived