IGNORED

Metzeler 880 Tires for R1200RT

moshe_levy

All-

I once ran a set of 880s on my R1150RT, and they wore like iron. Was thinking of another set for the new R1200RT, since most of my riding these days is slab commuting, where long wear is the key factor for me. Yet on the Metz site I do not see them listed as an option. Does anyone know for certain if they're available in the proper size for the 1200RT?

-MKL

The 880's are on the Metzeler site under "Custom" rather than "Sport Touring". At one time there were bias ply versions and radial versions - don't whether they're both available for the RT now. There are even whitewall versions but not in our size!

I saw that, but I don't see any size similar to the RT rear 180/55VR17. Can it be that 880 tires are not available in stock sizes for the R1200RT?

-MKL

I just finished off an 880 that I was running on the rear of my '06 RT.

I had a Z6 mounted up front.

This was the first time that I had tried an 880, and I was surprised to get only 9000 miles out of it before it was toast.

I consistently get better mileage from Pilot Roads, closer to 11K.

I don't know if it is my riding style or what, but the longer mileage that I had hoped for just wasn't there.

I think from now on, I'll stick with the Michelin's.

The ME880 are not made in 180/55x17. You can use a 170/60x17 on the R1200RT. Many people do.

What's the effect of using a 170/60?

I have not done it as I don't have the bike but I know it is doable and a few here on the board do it. May be one of them can answer.

If you do the arithmetic, the 170/60's circumference is about 1% larger than the 180/55's. So with the ME880 your speedometer will read 99mph when you're doing 100.

If you do the arithmetic, the 170/60's circumference is about 1% larger than the 180/55's. So with the ME880 your speedometer will read 99mph when you're doing 100.

Or will read 104 instead of 105 when you are doing 100... :grin:

The ME880 are not made in 180/55x17. You can use a 170/60x17 on the R1200RT. Many people do.

What's the effect of using a 170/60?

I tried the 170 on the back of my 1200RT and it messed up the handling big time for me in the turns. Response time took way too long for the bike to get leaned over to execute a quick turn. After just 50 miles on the 170, I changed the rear back to the factory 180 size and my handling was immediately back to normal.

I kept the 120 width 880 on the front and got close to 15k miles out of it. No handling problems noted at all with it.

The 170 width 880 for the rear is apparently meant to perform correctly on a 5 inch wide rim like the 11xx bikes have, not the 5.5" rim found on the 1200RT. I was really hoping that the 170 width 880 would work on the rear for long mileage purposes. I refuse to have handling suffer to get longevity, though.

ShovelStrokeEd

A 170-60 and a 180-55 are close enough in OD so you will hardly notice any difference. The really pertinent thing is rim width and the standard rim width for the RT falls within the proper width for either tire. BMW has, historically, used a bit narrow a rim for the tires fitted to the bike so a 170 tire will be at the wider rim width spec for that tire.

You may notice a bit easier turn in with the 170 fitted. As an odd datum, I once had a 170 rear fitted to my R1100S Prep, which called for the same 180 tire as the RT does, they were fitted at Paul's shop. I headed from there to the Blue Ridge, after scraping pegs doing donuts in the parking area, much to the HD rider's amusement. Handling and traction were fine and I got excellent tire life. 5.5" rear rim with the 170 tire.

I just finished off an 880 that I was running on the rear of my '06 RT.

I had a Z6 mounted up front.

This was the first time that I had tried an 880, and I was surprised to get only 9000 miles out of it before it was toast.

I consistently get better mileage from Pilot Roads, closer to 11K.

I don't know if it is my riding style or what, but the longer mileage that I had hoped for just wasn't there.

I think from now on, I'll stick with the Michelin's.

Ditto that - haven't tried the 880's but have used the Z6's. The last set of Michelin PR2's ran over 14K miles, and would have gone a bit longer if I hadn't picked up a nail. Plus the PR2's handle better than the Z6's, in my opinion.

I'm not really an advocate for any particular tire, and I have my doubts about the anecdotes I've heard (e.g. 25K miles from one rider), but my own experience with the PR2's have sold me on them for both wear and handing.

"Dave in Texas" runs them all the time, send him a PM.

Mark is half right - I run an 880 on the rear with a Z6 on the front. The original equipment tires were gone at 4k miles. Three sets of Pilot Road / Pilot Road 2 averaged about 6k on the rear and about 9k front. The Metzelers give me 10-12K miles. I'm om my 6th or 7th set of Metzelers and I'm very happy with them. I actually prefer their handling over the Pilot Roads.

Just 10mm narrower and 5mm shorter profile. You probably won't be able to tell the difference. My buddy uses the ME880 on his LT and likes'm. If your looking for longer tire life there are alot of multi compound sport touring tires out there that will get just as gooda mileage.

• 4 weeks later...
Now I'm confused. There are 3(three) different 180/55ZR17's listed. A "B" for $179, a "C" for $172 and one without a letter for $152.

I thought there were only two variations, "B" and not-"B". :S

Revzilla.com's price above is for the un-lettered version.

Update: I bought a set of non-B PR2 CT's from JakeWilson.com for $243 delivered. Had them installed today so not commenting on them much. Initial feel is good, lean is more linear than with OEM Z6 Roadtecs(7800 miles), less abrupt. sharper lean angles seem more possible and more comfortable. Give me a month or three to get a good read on them.

If your looking for longer tire life there are alot of multi compound sport touring tires out there that will get just as gooda mileage.

If that were true, I'd be running a dual compound sport touring tire instead of the ME880. The dual compound sport touring tirres use a softer center tread than what the ME880s have. For example, I get 4k mores miles out of an ME880 than a dual compound PR2

I am grateful for this thread. I had Metzelers on my R1100R before this R1200RT that I now own and loved them. I felt in control of the bike. The RT came with new Pilots (Michelin) and I feel like the bike "flops" into the corner. Lots less control than what I am used to.

So, once again, thanks for this thread.

Archived