IGNORED

How does one check for a tweaked frame on an 05 R1200RT

BerndM

Still not convinced its just the shocks? :grin:

Perhaps checking for broken welds might be the first step. Particularly in the steering head area. I once took a test ride on a Victory Vegas ( the dealer *insisted*). Every time I applied the front brakes, the bike dove slightly to the right. I took it right back in and told him. Never heard what happened but a broken weld was the only thing I could think of that might cause that.

I talked to the service manager at my local BMW dealer this morning and told him my tale of woe.

He suggested I come in and ride a demo 2010RT for an hour or so and compare.

I might just do that.

Not totally clear what you’re referring to as the frame. The parlever suspension bolts directly to the engine casing which is the stress member. There is no frame in the literal sense relative to the suspension system on a BMW boxer.

I have heard of this place:

GMD Computrac

Maybe they can help you. Why do you think it's tweaked? You could still probably try some variation of the method of loosening up the front axle pinch bolts and the lower triple tree clamps. Put front wheel against a wall or something and compress the suspension a couple of times to remove as much 'stiction' or binding as you can then tighten everything back up.

Thanks for the info about GMD Computrack.

It just so happens that Me and a buddy will be breafasting in Corona (CA) about 2 miles from their RaceTech facility. I will be stopping there after we eat to see what they say. looks like can rebuild my OEM ESA shocks.

Cool!

I talked to the service manager at my local BMW dealer this morning and told him my tale of woe.

He suggested I come in and ride a demo 2010RT for an hour or so and compare.

I might just do that.

Take your checkbook. You will like that new 2010 motor. :lurk:

I haven't seen, read or heard anything yet that would make me interested in the 2010 RT or GS. I don't think there was any compelling need for this newer version of our venerable boxer. My main concern would be the unnecessarily more complicated valve adjustment process. I LOVE the way the 05 thru 09 have the valves.

I say K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid).

With that in mind, I might be swayed into up to an 09.

:-))

Archived