IGNORED

Looking for LT to RT owners.....

johnhunter44

In 2009, I went looking to buy a new R1200RT. Thought I had finally decided on a black one, but on the test drive with my wife, she caught some buffeting on her head and wasnt too thrilled about it. We then test drove the 2009 K1200LT and she loved it, so we bought it. Now I do love this bike, but it is soooo top heavy. At almost 900 lbs and with the weight up high, its a monster when you go to park it. This weekend, I dropped the bike with her on board, no injuries (unless you count my pride). It happened so fast that I still do not remember what happened, other than I was turning around with her on board in a parking lot with an incline. The tip-over wings work great and caught the bike with no damage. Just a slight scuff on the bottom of the tip over wing, so it wasn't a hard fall. But now, she is afraid of riding on the bike. I knew of the weight problem when we purchased it, but she didn't realize how much until this weekend. Most of the time I ride alone, but do enjoy the occasional weekend trip with her. Now, I am considering trading in the 2009 LT and getting the RT. How does this bike handle riding two up? Will I have some of the same problems with the RT that I had with the LT? I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam. She is short. Does a new windshield handle the buffeting on the RT? Really looking hard in to trading. What do you think? Also, should I be looking more toward the 2010 with the engine upgrade or is this really noticeable? Thanks....

Dick Rothermel

John:

My first BMW was a 96 RT, followed by four LT's. I put 176,000 on the four of them and then went back to an RT in 07. While there is nothing more comfortable for a passenger than the LT, my SO is more than happy with the RT. I have a Sargent seat and Bak-up backrest for her when not running the trip trunk. I will never go back to the LT. Although it is a great bike, I love having more lean angle and a lighter weight bike. The R motor also has its own personality, that seems to be lacking in the K motored LT. There's a little less wind protection with the RT than the LT, but nothing that should cause your wifey to have any serious complaints. I am now running the 2010 RT windshield on my 07 and find that it provides some additional wind protection and more importantly, a smoother airflow. The new for 2010 shield is nearloy four inches wider than the old style at the top four inches of the shield. There are many after market options for shields should the OE one not meet your requirements. Based on your 30 inch inseam, you might consider looking at the lowered version of the RT. It's lowered by the factory via suspension and a lower cut seat and is advertised as being just shy of three inches lower. My guess is that you will have a hard time finding a new 09 or 10 at a dealer. Most are out of both. My dealer in Grand Rapids, MI. has none new of either year. The 2011 RT's should start trickling into dealers the later part of this month. I would opt for the 2010-2011 vs. the 2009. I have a 2010 RTP and the new motor seems to pull stronger and is somewhat smoother than my 07 IMO. You should certainly sit on a lowered RT model to see how it suits you. Good luck in your decision. Dick

Francois_Dumas

Never rode an LT (although Nina always looks jealously to the back rest and arm rests on the things), they seem a bit over-sized and cumbersome for the narrow Alpine roads we love most.

Still, people get over the passes on LT's, Goldwings and even Harleys. I just think the RT is that much more comfortable to ride when not doing only straight highways --- AND comfortable for the passenger.

The only complaint Nina has (she is 5') is a cold back sometimes. I put an aftermarket windshield on (also because with 6'something I felt I was too long for the standard one) and we have good helmets now (Nolan and Schuberth)... no buffeting unless riding in gale force winds (which we do sometimes, unfortunately).

Heck, I thought only the RT's would keel over at times.... :grin:

John,

I have gone the other way. Have had my RT for 7 years and always found it to be uncomfortable and top heavy. My wife went for one ride on the pillion and said "forget about it." I have dropped the RT about 4 times, each time in a parking lot or maneuvering situation, never when under way.

We went to a Gold wing store and she liked the seats and comfort, although we didn't ride them. I couldn't find a reasonably priced used wing. I got a good deal on a used LT and bought it sight unseen. I love it, she loves it, and we ride together a lot now. We are both over weight and I am about your height and inseam. The LT does not seem any more top heavy to me than the RT. When I jump on the RT now, for shorter rides, I feel like I am on a sprint. I much prefer the LT to the RT for comfort. I would like to have a 650 GS or similiar in place of the RT, but the LT is here to stay.

If you want a great deal on a used RT to try it out send me a PM. :thumbsup:

Looking at the issue from a different angle. The worst possible thing that could happen on a very heavy bike such as a LT - a low speed tip - has happened. You and she survived - without a scratch.

The tip-over wings helped a great deal.

The reality is that the same thing could happen on any other machine. If it happens again - would you have to change bikes again? Only a Gold Wing or a Harley Tourer will be as comfortable as an LT.

I think you both should have a really serious talk about the dangers and realities of bike riding.

Good luck - now I'm off to hide :)

Hello. I had an '03 LT and put 33,000 miles on it. I have a 30 inch inseam as well. I rode my LT from Colorado as far east as Chicago and as far west as San Francisco multiple times with and without a trailer. I think I dropped it a grand total of 5 times in 33,000 miles. Had the same experience as you with the incline problem. I had the lowered seat and after I installed it, didn't drop it again. I loved the bike, but the maintenance expense and problems with the rear main seal, transmission seals and fouled clutch killed it for me even with an extended warranty. So, I traded it for the RT. I now have a '05 RT and absolutely love it!!! It has far better performance, handles like a dream, gets better gas mileage. I have a lowered seat with a gel pad and it works for me. I have ridden it two up a number of times with my sons and have a Cee Bailey shield. No complaints about buffeting though I couldn't stand the stock shield. I also do my own maintenance with friends. Far lower cost of ownership..

Never ridden the 2010. But, I have heard many good things about it. But, I have no reason to replace my '05 because I absolutely love it !!! I wouldn't go back..

John,

I have gone the other way. Have had my RT for 7 years and always found it to be uncomfortable and top heavy. My wife went for one ride on the pillion and said "forget about it." I have dropped the RT about 4 times, each time in a parking lot or maneuvering situation, never when under way.

We went to a Gold wing store and she liked the seats and comfort, although we didn't ride them. I couldn't find a reasonably priced used wing. I got a good deal on a used LT and bought it sight unseen. I love it, she loves it, and we ride together a lot now. We are both over weight and I am about your height and inseam. The LT does not seem any more top heavy to me than the RT. When I jump on the RT now, for shorter rides, I feel like I am on a sprint. I much prefer the LT to the RT for comfort. I would like to have a 650 GS or similiar in place of the RT, but the LT is here to stay.

If you want a great deal on a used RT to try it out send me a PM. :thumbsup:

There's an "apples and oranges" difference between the R1100RT (your current RT) and R1200RT. The center of gravity is lower for the R12-RT and of course, the R12 is quite a bit lighter. Whereas I had the same experience with my old R1100RT as the John relates, including an early low-speed tip-over and several close calls, I have found myself treating my R12-RT like a dirt bike at intersections, i.e. unconsciously standing up and tipping the bike against my leg. I was kind of shocked the first time I noticed what I was doing, as that was a guaranteed tip-over on the R1100RT. The R12 is so light by comparison that I NEVER feel out of control at low speeds, and unless I'm pushing it up my driveway, frequently forget that it's a 500+lb bike (and I have a bad back to boot).

The R12-RT is not "just" a lighter bike; it RIDES lighter.

I can't speak to the comfort of an LT vs RT (or Honda GW versus LT), but custom seats, a back rest, a 49L rear case, and an aftermarket windscreen can make an RT feel like a much different, more comfortable bike.

John will probably have to ride an RT to understand the difference, and he won't need a pillon on board to understand the difference in feel. That said, getting a lowered version is probably a good idea for a 5'9" rider concerned about low-speed handling - I'm 6'2" tall, my cousin is 5'9", and due to his test rides and our discussions, I can appreciate the difference.

- Scott

The reality is that the same thing could happen on any other machine. If it happens again - would you have to change bikes again?

I think you both should have a really serious talk about the dangers and realities of bike riding.

John has nailed it here. It is pretty obvious that, if SHE isn't happy, YOU won't be happy. A heart to heart talk re. how to "get-off" a falling bike safely is in order. She needs to understand this is something that happens to lotsa folks every day, and none (well, most) is the worse for wear, and it just ain't really no big deal. And that getting another bike is no guarantee it couldn't happen again. Solving this issue first will make the proper course much clearer.

Remember, the RT also has built-in tipover wings, also known as sidecases. And they work too!

comstockrider

I started out on an '03 LT. Now I have an '98 1100RT. Differences, yes. But, I really miss the LT for the road work. Mainly the farkles. What I learned on the LT on tight manuvers was asking my S.O. (passenger) to get off until I was situated, then she would climb back on and we'd wander off again. In the years I had her (LT), I dropped her once. In the garage while manuvering standing on the "wrong" side. Thought the kick stand was down- - - it wasn't. :mad: But, a lot of close calls. Don't get me wrong, I really like the RT. But my daughter (main rider companion) really misses the LT. RT is much "windier". S.O. won't even get on board. :S. The LT I had to sell, $$$. The RT came along at the right time at a good $$$. But, I still cruse the adds looking for the "deal" on a good used LT. Food for thought. Hope this helps, a little.

Having owned several bikes including 2 Goldwings, my recommendation is to give it some time. Bikes have their own characteristics and some take a little time to get use to ... turn signal controls in 3 different places for example.

That being said, if the significant other strongly objects to the LT, I can do nothing other than wish you the best of luck.

PS, they all fall down sooner or later .. learn from it!

I went from a '97 RT to a '00 LT. After only 6K miles on the LT, I quickly went back to an ('02) RT.

The LT was just plain top heavy. It always had my full attention when coming to a stop or when making slow "walking speed" turns. And I didn't feel well connected to the front end with the set-back "tiller-like" handlebars. Compared to the LT, the newer RT's ('05+) handle better, have more ground clearance and better power to weight ratio. I wouldn't trade my 2006 RT for anything. Well, except maybe for that new six cylinder...

I'm 6'3" 71, and 220 lbs & have both a 2000 R1100RT and a 2005 K1200LT. My wife hates riding on the RT as the stock seat is too far forward vs the back rest. She says she keeps sliding forward and that gives her a backache. She was the one that discovered the LT in a showroom.

She loves the LT. I get better mileage from the LT. I like the cruise on the LT. Turbulence at my height is substantial with both and I always use ear plugs and braille communication system.

The LT (at least mine) has linked brakes so that dragging the rear brake in a parking lot also gives me front brake. I've dropped it three times at near zero speed - one with her on it too.

I've never dropped the RT. I like the nimble RT although it took the LT to make the RT seem nimble.

I think your most serious problem will be your inseam.

Thanks for all of the information so far. Anyone else have any info? Anyone regret getting the lowered seat version of the RT instead of getting the standard one? (5'9" 30" inseam here)

I have a K1200LT trike by Hannigan and a R1150RTP......

Cannot beat the comfort of the LT but for solo trips I prefer the RT. I was going to remove the radio box on the RT and add a passenger seat, but Karen feels really safe on the LT and suggested the RT be for when I "needed to be a boy."................

We did the LT conversion because I'm getting a bit older and the LT is a handful......

I have a 30" inseam and the standard RT comfort seat is workable.

Referring to your low seat option...

I have a 32" inseam. Based on the recommendations of others on this site, I just had taller soles added to my boots for my RT. It was only an additional 1/2" and has made an incredible difference. Went from toeing it to flat foot. Other than being too high for my tastes (prior to adjusting the boots), the bike is terrific.

Considering your reasoning for an RT in your OP, with a 30" inseam I unquestionably would buy the lower set up. I think you'll be very happy with that set up.

Thanks for all of the information so far. Anyone else have any info? Anyone regret getting the lowered seat version of the RT instead of getting the standard one? (5'9" 30" inseam here)

I'm 5'3" with a 27" inseam. I picked up a 2010 R1200RT with low seat *standard suspension* on June 13th. I love my bike. Obviously, I cannot flat-foot the RT. I end up pretty much on the balls of my feet. It is manageable, but not ideal. I have my wife get off the bike before I do any awkward low-speed maneuvers. Parking lots are generally OK.

I chose the low seat standard suspension model vs the low suspension for the following reasons:

• When I sat on a low suspension bike, the seat seemed lower, yes, but also flatter and wider. When at a stop it felt like it was trying to pry my hip joints apart. It was painful.
  • Seat heat was not available on the low suspension bike. I intend to do a lot of cold weather riding. :-)
  • ESA was not available on the low suspension bike. My wife rides pillion quite a bit, and ESA makes this a lot less of a hassle.

--Galvin

Nice, so you can get a standard suspension with a low seat option. I have about a 30" inseam so this should fit me. Gotta find one to sit on....Thanks...

I have had 2 R1100RT's a R1200RT and 2 K1200LT's. I like both bikes alot. The LT was a superior bike for the straights and light twisites. That bike always impressed the guys I rode with on how well it could handle. You will eventually grind down the centerstand and its not nearly as manueverable at low speeds. The comfort of this bike comes second to none. The RT is a differnt animal. It needs to be revved up high, isnt nearly as smooth, doesnt have the same level of comfort. However the RT is also and amazing bike. If my last K1200LT hadnt puked its final drive I may still have it. Of course, I lost all faith in the bike after finding out how many other LT owners have had the same experience and since the bike never felt right afterward. In the RT world, the 1200 is light years better than the 1100 and was a huge improvement over my 1150 boxxer.

I have had 2 R1100RT's a R1200RT and 2 K1200LT's. I like both bikes alot. The LT was a superior bike for the straights and light twisites. That bike always impressed the guys I rode with on how well it could handle. You will eventually grind down the centerstand and its not nearly as manueverable at low speeds. The comfort of this bike comes second to none. The RT is a differnt animal. It needs to be revved up high, isnt nearly as smooth, doesnt have the same level of comfort. However the RT is also and amazing bike. If my last K1200LT hadnt puked its final drive I may still have it. Of course, I lost all faith in the bike after finding out how many other LT owners have had the same experience and since the bike never felt right afterward. In the RT world, the 1200 is light years better than the 1100 and was a huge improvement over my 1150 boxxer.

So the RT doesn't have the problem with final drives that the LT has? What about other areas? Is the RT, as a whole, less problematic than the LT?

So the RT doesn't have the problem with final drives that the LT has? What about other areas? Is the RT, as a whole, less problematic than the LT?

RT's and LT's are both prone to final drive failures, but its my belief this is much more frequent on the LT. At one point BMW addressed this on the LT blaming owners overloading the bike but this has been heavily de-bunked by the numerous solo riders with issues. Unfortunalte BMW never stepped up to the plate to take care of this.... and shows no signs they ever will.

Iv never regretted buying my 04 RT with over 100K on her she still runs like new. Coil and speedo cable was all she needed other than normal maintenance.I have fun with her teasing the crotch rockets.

I bought a 2000 K1200LT last month. I hadn't riden in 15 years. My wife has been on 3 times. She loves it. The first time out, after an hour of riding I lost it at a stop. She just put her foot down, same as I did, and we wound up stradling the bike. Got off and picked it up. She was fine with that. I was almost glad it happened because I knew is would happen sooner or later.

Archived