IGNORED

When one is dumb, they can be REALLY dumb!

crmdgn

So I decided to change my '04 R1150RT's transmission, engine and final drive fluids. Engine and filter and final drive were a piece of cake. When I got to the transmission, I tried to loosen the fill plug first, just in case. Right, quality hex head in carefully, no go, So used a vise grip on the hex wrench to give a bit more leverage and the hex hole is now fairly well rounded. Not completely as the hex wrench still appears to fit snugly, but any turning and it slips. Any ideas how to get the plug out besides a center punch and a BFH? lol

Thanks

paul

It is sometimes possible to loosen stuck/damaged hex head bolts or plugs by drifting in a slightly oversized spline or Torx bit then unscrewing them with your usual ratchet handle.

When all else fails, remove the sideplate that the foot pegs are mounted on, and heat the plug with a torch. Just the plug, not the case......Heat it several times, not glowing, but hot.....Maybe 400/500 degrees. Let it cool in between on its own. When it is back to room temperature, try the appropriate allen wrench, dipped in glue, then sand, if necessary. The heating/cooling will shrink the plug slightly, allowing it to become loose. The sand stuck to the wrench with glue will fill the loose areas of the hole, and the sand gives some bite. When you get it out, throw the plug deep into the woods, and replace it with a new one, with a crush washer. Good Luck.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Just heat it with a propane torch until you can't touch it for any length of time.

The aluminum case should expand enough to get it out.

Lessons from an english car.

I like the idea of an tight fitting hex drive or torx bit.

(or)

If you're careful, you can use a small chisel and your favorite hammer to try to drive it anti-clockwise. Take care not to hit the case.

Thanks to all for the ideas, some a bit more imaginative than others, but all food for thought! I was hesitant to go to the trouble of removing the side panel with the peg unless it was necessary. So being an imaginative fellow myself, I took it to my dealer. Richard(service dude)came out, looked at it, mentioned that that bolt should not be very tight, went inside, came out with a hex driver and ratchet, and just like in the movies, the damn bolt just spun out freely! So he barely tightened it so i could get home, and that is on my agenda tomorrow.

Maybe maintenance on this 1150RT is easier than I thought! lol

Thanks again

paul

Archived