IGNORED

Red Brake Triangle stays on....sometimes.

Hermes

2003 R1150RT

This just happened the last few days, every once in a while the Triangle stays on after the brake cycling is complete.

I then switch off the ignition and cycle again, and with a little hesitation, the light goes off and brakes work fine.

I checked all brake fluid levels, even lifted the tank and bled the ABS in case some air got in. But no joy.

Any Idea?

Check the following.

The tail light bulb filament is OK (check it physically by looking, sometimes they hang on in there even when broken).

The Brake light bulb filament is OK (check it physically by looking, sometimes they hang on in there even when broken).

Brake microswitch opeation (push the lever and pedal and listen for the 'click' of the microswitch operation). The rear leaf leaver to the microswitch has often been known to be jammed with a tiny bit of debris - preventing correct operation.

Andy

The red triangle on continously (not flashing) indicatres a blown rear light or brake-light filliament. they are both under the control of the ABS unit to allow redundancy. If the one light fails, the ABS unit substitues the other light at low brightness for the tail-lamp, going to full brightness for the stop lamp.

I have had an intermittent bulb-fail warning in the past, going to a hard failure later due to a failing tail-lamp - the filiament can re-weld itself with vibration, giving a temporary repair.

Also check for corrosion free- bulb holders as this could fool the sensor.

Andy

Thanks guys, you both seem to be suggesting bulb or micro-switch failure. I would have never thought of that, I had visions of a $2,000 ABS unit replacement.

I will check out your suggestions.

The bulbs are most likely. Make sure you fit the correct type, because if you go for the wrong shape, you may well melt the coloured platic housing of the rear light lense.

Andy

Archived