IGNORED

Brake Failure light flashing, speedometer fluctuating

Mike05

First long day on the bike after two months! Felt great but came with a challenge.

Under heavy braking (missed a turn) both the "Brake Failure" warning light & the red triangle with the explaination mark came on, started flashing & have stayed on. At the same time, the speedometer began flucuating all over the place & it too remains erratic.

Brakes seem fine. I'm cleaning the battery terminals but can't think of anything else to do.

Just got off the phone with SageRider & he suggested checking out both ends of the battery ground wire. Other then that, I can't think of a single ground wire under the dash that is common to the speedo & the brake failure warning light.

Any ideas?

Without actually tearing down my bike to check, I believe there is only one cable/connector going to the instrument cluster. I would check that this connector is properly seated.

Speed sensor? It seems like it's the only thing common to both conditions.

This is where a GS-911 comes in handy if you have one.

Good suggestion. Am also checking the battery (2nd. one; replaced with another oem battery from the dealer about two & a half years ago. Keep on a charger but...)

Gs-911 now first on my X-mas list.

I guess the question is what would cause the brake failure light and the speedometer to malfunction together? Front pads just replaced, will do the rear shoes today. Brake fluid looks good,& have removed tupperware to "eyeball" the wiring. Running out of ideas.

I think the ABS gets information from the speed sensor and so does the speedometer. I would look at the wire that runs to the speed sensors. There is a front and a rear speed sensor, I don't know which one is the speedometer speed sensor.

I think the ABS gets information from the speed sensor and so does the speedometer. I would look at the wire that runs to the speed sensors. There is a front and a rear speed sensor, I don't know which one is the speedometer speed sensor.

We have a winner! :thumbsup: You called it Alan, it's the wire.

Doug Baliko (new to the Board: "dbaliko") lives nearby & brought over a freshly charged battery this morning. The bike was already "tupperware free" so we started ruling things out. Doug discovered the rear speed sensor wire had came off the clip & was worn thru to the bare wire from rubbing on the rear rotor.

We're betting that's it; went ahead & changed the rear brake pads too.

Hopefully that does it. Thanks all for the help. Now time to reassemble & ride!

Archived