IGNORED

Do you change your line while in a turn, to avoid manhole covers?

marked23

2 answers: A road I was riding with a group had a cattle grate right at what would have been the apex of the turn. My solution was to make it essentially 2 turns, cranking the bike over before and after, but passing over the grate basically upright. Fellow behind me felt the proper solution was to slow down to the point you could be assured that sufficient traction was available over the grate. Either works. Changing lines in the turn because you didn't see it until then means you were not looking far enough ahead.

ShovelStrokeEd

See them sooner and set the line accordingly. Unless you are running at all out speed, there is plenty of time. If the manhole is around the apex of a blind corner, I'll be going slow enough it won't matter anyway.

Another thing to avoid in curves are tar snakes. Avoidance is best. There's a lot of them on the east side of Carson Pass, and descending over those on a curve on a summer day can cause a very unpleasant-feeling side slip sometimes. This time I was ready and chose lines going into turns to avoid them.

In a word, yes. Granted, you're better off identifying the hazards ahead of time and choosing an avoidance line. But you really ought to be able to shift your line mid turn, if the need arises. The main thing, in my mind, is that it demonstrates better command of your turns. Before I was able to do that, I found myself screwing up the occasional curve, like those decreasing radius jobbies everyone loves. I haven't buggered up a curve in ages, mostly because I learned to re-adjust mid turn.

As far as hazards like man-holes, hub caps, road kill, etc., you're better off staying off that stuff. Whatever it is.

Should I just roll over them, or continue avoiding?

My one and only tumble on the street was on a wet manhole cover, on my Yamaha RD400 in 1979. Yes, I avoid them...now

1+ for what upflying just said.

Old adage, accelerate when you can see where you are going and brake when you can't. Seems simple enough. The you don't get in trouble.

Joe Frickin' Friday

In urban/suburban environs (where manhole covers tend to be found), I'm generally not riding at a sporting pace, so:

A) there is LOTS of margin for changing my line, and

B) I generally don't need to do so because my slow pace permits me to see/plan far ahead, and

C) I'm not asking for much traction from my tires.

If roads are wet then I'm probably going even slower, and so I make even more certain to avoid them, changing my line if necessary to do so.

I try not change the line while in the turn, but pick a line that avoids the cover when I get into the turn.

Lovely theory, but I doubt it always works in the real world. There will be times when the full curve isn't clearly visible from turn-in.

However, is the cover flush with the road surface? If it's not easily avoidable, I'd ride over it.

But if it's significantly raised or dropped, then I'd probably make more of an effort to avoid. If so, ride 'inside', as it's going to be easier to open the line wider afterwards, rather than go wide and have to tighten.

I always readjust my line to avoid things I did not see, or could not see when entering a turn, that might affect my traction. Manhole covers are almost never an issue for they inhabit the urban landscape, not a place where I’m anywhere near my traction limits.

Should I just roll over them, or continue avoiding?

Lately, it's been mostly changing it for possums. Must be the Fall mating and migration season for the marsupials.

---

Archived