IGNORED

Danger comes from anywhere.

ltljohn

I'm surprised how incidental the death of the motorcyclist is in the story.

"Police said 18-year-old William Merring of Easton was merging onto I-78 West, when he crossed into the path of a tractor trailer driven by Curtis Owen, 59, of Virginia.

Owen then veered through the guardrail, across the grassy median, and into the eastbound lanes, where it struck a motorcycle.

The Northampton County Coroner said Lynn (Mike) Strouse, 53, of Bethlehem, died as a result of multiple blunt force trauma."

Also that Owen, the truck driver, becomes "it" instead of "he" striking a motorcycle instead of a motorcyclist.

Just an odd way to report the story.

---

OTH, how much time did the motorcyclist have to see, react and take evasive action to avoid the truck? I and we don't know but the collision constructionist working on the investigation will eventually know.

First the truck going in the opposite direction collides broadside with a car merging onto the highway. Post impact collision causes the truck to loose control, cross the center median, impact the center guard rail, enter the on-coming median and lanes before colliding head-on with the motorcyclist. All that takes a few seconds to occur and enough time for the motorcyclist to see, react and avoid..if he's paying attention.

All that takes a few seconds to occur and enough time for the motorcyclist to see, react and avoid..if he's paying attention.

Maybe... Seems pretty presumptive to conclude that he could have avoided it without knowing more about how it played out.

All that takes a few seconds to occur and enough time for the motorcyclist to see, react and avoid..if he's paying attention.

Maybe... Seems pretty presumptive to conclude that he could have avoided it without knowing more about how it played out.

You quoted me out of context. I also said this..

"OTH, how much time did the motorcyclist have to see, react and take evasive action to avoid the truck? I and we don't know but the collision constructionist working on the investigation will eventually know".

Kinda takes the presumptiveness out of it doesn't it?

• 3 weeks later...

I think we are numb to headons, we nearly have one many times a day on a two lane, would be no time to react especially when our first reaction is usually WTH are you doing violating my space!

We had one of these (only the opposite lane was in a pickup) a few months ago, and the distance between the two directions was over 50 yards. Survivor commented, think he is headed our way. The man driving the pickup never altered course or hit the brakes.

Both were doing like 70 on the interstate 20. I would like to believe I could avoid being in one of those type accidents.

Archived