IGNORED

Roofing/Heavy lifting question?

Whip

My barn/garage needs a new roof including the decking.

I wanna use 3/4 inch 4 X 8 sheets of pressboard for the decking, and metal for the final covering.

The Roof is 18 feet in the air and about 10/2 pitch.

When I was younger I would have a friend help me and we would take one sheet at a time on two latters side by side. Moving together it was a good workout. Now that I am older I don't feel like doing it that way and I wanted to do it by myself.

Any ideas???

Can I rig some kinda pully system?

I don't wanna rent somethin. but I guess I would if I had to.

Thoughts??

Any ideas???

Can I rig some kinda pully system?

I don't wanna rent somethin. but I guess I would if I had to.

Thoughts??

Hire a couple day labors or a roofing contractor.

If you are going to use steel roofing, why would you use sheet material for the decking? Especially heavy material like press board.

I would use 2 x 3 strapping with some cross bracing.

Solid decking and steel roofing usually leads to condensation and rot, at least here.

Joe Frickin' Friday

some time ago I saw a book at Home Depot that was all about working solo. They had all kinds of tips for managing tasks that would usually be accomplished by two people. Example: a 4x8 sheet of plywood isn't insanely heavy, but it is insanely awkward. Solution: attach a C-clamp to one edge, which then functions as a convenient handle for one person to drag it up a ladder. That way you don't need inhuman grip strength to move it around. I'm sure there are lots of other tips in there that would make this job go better for you.

If you are going to use steel roofing, why would you use sheet material for the decking? Especially heavy material like press board.

I would use 2 x 3 strapping with some cross bracing.

Solid decking and steel roofing usually leads to condensation and rot, at least here.

Not using sheet metal for decking. Pressboard then tar paper then standing seam metal for the roofing material.

Pay my expenses and I'll come down with the helicopter and settle them onto the roof for you. :grin:

I wonder what Arizona AL is doing next weekend.

When you say pressboard, I assume you mean OSB.

The rental idea really has lots of merit. The cost is very small for the saving in time and labor, not to mention the safety factor.

BTW, I believe it was Monty and Nueman that let you know there was a problem.

When you ask them, "What's the matter?" They always respond, "Roof! Roof!"

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I'm sure you've accounted for the weight of the roofing materials vs. what's already up there and what the structure can hold.

Ladders. They're dangerous. (take that from a guy who's job is dangerous ladder placements.) Have the ladder be tall enough to reach a minimum of 3-6 feet over the top of the roof. If you're using an extension ladder, use the halyard to tie the fly section to the bed section by looping around a few rungs then half-hitching the front and rear loop sections together around a rung. The idea is to prevent the ladder from extending far enough for the pawls to disengage and the ladder to collapse (rapidly unextend itself.) Then, tie the top of the ladder off to the edge of the roof somewhere. This will prevent it from falling over if it becomes unbalanced. You DO NOT want to ride the ladder to the ground. Now all you have to worry about is falling off of it. :)

If'n you do hire help or find friends to volunteer, check your homeowners policy for coverage in case of a fall. Roof jobs are dangerous.
You've been in California too long Bob, in Texas you just shoot the wounded and carry on with the job.

Before the old roof comes off and you're committed, why not try a few of the ideas presented above with a sample sheet and see which one you like best?

I built a shed last year with 12/12 pitch but used 3/8 for the decking, and then shingles. Those sheets were pretty easy to push up the ladder in front of me, but VERY awkward. Was mighty happy that I screwed a couple boards to the rafter tails to hold the sheet in place while screwing down the first row of decking.

Have you checked the price on renting a cherry picker (aerial lift) for the weekend? Depending on weight rating could take up a couple sheets at a time and NOT have to climb a ladder.

Ask Little Ben. He's the smartest guy in the neighborhood. If nothing else, his explanation of how to do it would be the most entertaining thing you've heard in a while.

Hold a tech day. Bait a bunch of young healthy motorcyclists to your place. Then switch 'em over to roofing your place. Give 'em a couple of hot dogs, and a coke.

Archived