IGNORED

Why does the GS seem so much more powerful than the RT

pdes

On a number of occasions recently, I have been loaned a 1200GS. I currently ride a 2010RT. I cannot understand why, as the engine is virtually the same, the GS is so much smoother and more powerful. Surely the power and smoothness should be in the tourer. Is it that the RT is much heavier? I would expect the gearing to be different but the GS seems to be better at accelerating, fuel consumption and acquiring the top speed. Can I "tune" my RT to perform as well as the GS?

The "basic" GS is ~10% lighter, maybe has shorter 1# gear and is louder and windier. There you have some reasons why it feels so much faster. Not to mention the softer suspension which gives also different feel.

When highway speed is achieved leave your RT in 5th gear...you'll be just about equal to GS when it is in 6th gear - there's the gearing differential. That's the major difference, then add in the weight factor. Plus the wind in your face factor (much more on the GS) adds to the "feeling".

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/performancedata/122_0108_pdataresults/index.html

motorcyclist online performance data HP 1/4 mile etc.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/mcn/model_eval/2010JulyBMWGS.pdf

check out 1/4 mile and top speed, roll ons.

RT 11.68 118 mph GS 11.83 113 mph

Sometimes subjectivity is an issue.

Numbers are numbers.

So, is the GS faster?

In regard to twisties, maybe, 1/4 mile, top end, etc.

Probably not.

How many miles on your RT? How many miles on the GS? I have no experience with the new motor, but with the R1150s and the R1200s there were significant differences in relative smoothness and power after 20 to 22,000 miles. So beside the obvious difference in weight, it could be that the GS is completely broken in and your new 2010 has a few miles to go before it's really broken in (20,000 miles or more).

Is the 1200GS still tuned for a fatter midrange? This, combined with shorter gearing and lighter weight, would also make it feel more responsive in real world use.

Car performance is easy to exploit. Just floor it. When it comes to motorcycles the rider makes the difference. If you are in an agressive mood on a RT you will beat a GS and vice versa. Pushed to the limit both will be petty much the same.

All in fun ...

Windier as in;

windier comparative of wind·y (Adjective)

1. (of weather, a period of time, or a place) Marked by or exposed to strong winds.

2. Resembling the wind in sound or force.

All in fun ...

Windier as in;

windier comparative of wind·y (Adjective)

1. (of weather, a period of time, or a place) Marked by or exposed to strong winds.

2. Resembling the wind in sound or force.

Windier, pronounced "Win-D-Yea" is obviously the plural for windy. Or French. :thumbsup:

I think I understand what you mean. My R1150GS feels a bit quicker than my R1150RT but only when riding solo. When I take my wife on the back it's a different story. The RT will then accelerate quicker than the GS.

I don't have any evidence to support this other than what I "feel".

How many miles on your RT? How many miles on the GS? I have no experience with the new motor, but with the R1150s and the R1200s there were significant differences in relative smoothness and power after 20 to 22,000 miles. So beside the obvious difference in weight, it could be that the GS is completely broken in and your new 2010 has a few miles to go before it's really broken in (20,000 miles or more).

Both of the bikes have 20,000ish miles. I agree the older engines took a while to break in and get smoother. The newer ones are pretty smooth from the beginning.

The GS has a shorter final drive, I believe the engine is tuned more for low end and midrange, and the wheelbase is a little longer.

Also, sitting higher up and with a softer longer travel rear suspension, the seat of the pants feel might make it seem faster. the exhsut and induction sounds are a little louder on the GS too. induction noise cna make a vehcile seem sa lot faster. That's why it's s common for "import tuners" to replace the intakes on their cars. You really don't gain much of anything in terms of real performance, but it sounds faster.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Is the 1200GS still tuned for a fatter midrange? This, combined with shorter gearing and lighter weight, would also make it feel more responsive in real world use.

They 1100/1150's used to be, with different cams and different intake duct geometry. But looking at BMW's specs for the hexheads, the RT and GS match up on peak torque and peak horsepower and the RPM at which those are delivered. Pretty sure the hexhead GS and RT are running on the same engine.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/performancedata/122_0108_pdataresults/index.html

motorcyclist online performance data HP 1/4 mile etc.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/mcn/model_eval/2010JulyBMWGS.pdf

check out 1/4 mile and top speed, roll ons.

RT 11.68 118 mph GS 11.83 113 mph

Sometimes subjectivity is an issue.

Numbers are numbers.

So, is the GS faster?

In regard to twisties, maybe, 1/4 mile, top end, etc.

Probably not.

Ah yes, the old quick vs fast comparison.

I sure miss the quickness of my K 1100 LT. :thumbsup:

Archived