IGNORED

R1100RT Broken Headlight Lens

Modrocker

While touring southern Utah this summer I had a mishap breaking my headlight lens. The lens itself is not a replacement item, rather you have to buy the entire headlight bucket for big bucks. By todays standards this headlight is considered rather deficient so I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their headlight with non-original equipment. I'd like to upgrade the lighting in the process and am not opposed to modifying the front fairing if necessary.

There is no direct replacement aftermarket part. Beemerboneyard might be an option for a used one.

Now if you're talking about a rework of the front of the bike to fit something totally different, well then the possiblities are endless I suppose.

As Ken said, try Beemerboneyard or Ebay. If and when you get one, put a Headlight Protector on it. This is a thicker version of paint protector used on bikes and cars. Saved my bacon a few times on Texas chip and seal roads. I use it on all our vehicles :thumbsup:

In consideration of your replies I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a new unit as I found an OEM replacement for $175. I would likely ruin the appearance and be de-valuing the bike to do any kind of re-work. Be assured I'll be adding the headlight protector and will likely add some driving lights as well.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Mod,

I agree that in the factory configuration, the headlamp leave a lot to be desired. Especially that hole in the center about 100 ft out.

I fixed it with a HID kit. vvme.com along with a bunch of other folks sells them. You need a Bi-zenon kit for a H4-3 lamp. This kit gives you a HID high and low beam from the same arc. A very quick solenoid changes the part of the reflector with a view to the arc for high/low switching.

I have been very happy with mine. These have the same downside as anything with HID....they need to have correct adjustment. Going from one up to two up requires adjustment also.

That said, for the amount of light, it is a small price.

I use mine with fogs on low and $15 wally world drivings on high.

Beemerboneyard actually sells NEW headlights for the R1100RT LINK. I bought one for my RT a few years ago when I had a rock blow a hole through mine. I then promptly covered it with some clear adhesive backed vinyl protector from Aerostich LINK

The vinyl still looks good as new and does an excellent job of protecting the glass

Beemerboneyard actually sells NEW headlights for the R1100RT LINK.

Am I missing something here?

You can buy a genuine BMW item for $262 but this 'Save here' item retails for $289.95???

. I think it's a typo, 'cos MaxBMW list the OE headlight at $402.

Andy

I've often wondered whether with a bit (lot) of re-working an 1150RT headlamp could be fitted to the 1100RT?

Dave.

I think the improvement would be dissapointing after all that cost after installing all the relevant fairing and framework. However, then using an R1150RT headlight shell and grafting in a couple of 5.75" Cibie units might make a good improvement :-)

Andy

Beemerboneyard actually sells NEW headlights for the R1100RT LINK.

Am I missing something here?

You can buy a genuine BMW item for $262 but this 'Save here' item retails for $289.95???

. I think it's a typo, 'cos MaxBMW list the OE headlight at $402.

Andy

I think you are correct that it is a typo. Also, doing a search back to find my old post about my headlight reveals that the headlight assembly used to be MUCH cheaper. I only paid $135 for mine back in July of '07 LINK. Now it is over 2x that. I'm guessing they changed the price and forgot to change the description. Either way, thats a bummer :P

I guess I was fortunate to find a replacement at the price I did, however I now feel compelled to add either HID and/or additional lights as Peter has. I try not to ride much at night but there are occasions when I do and there are too many deer in southern MN not to avail yourself of better lighting than the stock 1100 headlight. Thanks for all the input.

I guess I was fortunate to find a replacement at the price I did, however I now feel compelled to add either HID and/or additional lights as Peter has. I try not to ride much at night but there are occasions when I do and there are too many deer in southern MN not to avail yourself of better lighting than the stock 1100 headlight. Thanks for all the input.

But, DO go with a headlight protector of your choice -- it's cheap insurance. I've been using the Aerostich stuff for years, and love it. I've never had a problem with scratching, or yellowing, and it's easy to remove the stuff, with no adhesive left behind. Aerostich sells it in two thicknesses; while the 60 mil stuff gives you best proctection, I could not get it to conform satisfactorily to the compound curves of the R1100RT headlight, so I am using the lighter film (14 mil).

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Modrocker

Two reasons I did the HID

I'm about 100yds off of a deer infested road. I usually leave for work in the dark. Not long after getting my RT I was going to work and saw a pair of eyes at about 60 degrees from straight ahead...didn't see them prior. It was an expletive moment.

Did the HID and a set of Hella Micro DE fogs shortly thereafter.

I'm convinced the deer here hang out on the side of the road waiting for cars and bikes then jump out in front of them.

Second reason was a trip to Laguna Seca in the fall. Briskly riding to Monterey showed the big hole in the stock light. High beam gave only a small improvement but, still weak.

Now, I see the deer that can be seen and can't outdrive my illumination on the freeway.

• 4 months later...
Delaware Dave
I've often wondered whether with a bit (lot) of re-working an 1150RT headlamp could be fitted to the 1100RT?

Dave.

I think the improvement would be dissapointing after all that cost after installing all the relevant fairing and framework. However, then using an R1150RT headlight shell and grafting in a couple of 5.75" Cibie units might make a good improvement :-)

Andy

Okay, now I'm curious. Aside from the obvious, headlight assembly and upper fairing, is there anything else that would have to be replaced?

Structurally, can an R1150RT headlight mount on an R1199RT?

Archived