IGNORED

Are BMW handlebar grips a standard 7/8" ID size?

eakins

Bill,

These are BMW grips, and are often added to FJR1300's. The length is slightly different, but the ID is pretty universal. The throttle side is different than the clutch side, of course. Some people have accidently picked up some ATV grips, where this was don't the case....Wasn't me, I make bigger mistakes... crazy.gif

3272 1 458 395

3272 1 458 396

These are the BMW "Sport" grips.

all the best,

Mike

ShovelStrokeEd

Nope, at least not on my S.

The throttle side is pretty close but just a bit larger. Clutch side grip has a spacer that actually calls for another throttle sized grip. I suppose if you remove the spacer you'll find a 20 mm round tube under there which is smaller by ca 0.080" than 7/8". This silliness goes back a long way. When I attempted to put a set of 7/8" bars on my 84 K100 turbo nothing fit. I had to file the upper triple clamp castings and could not get the throttle over the bar.

mike,

thanks for the numbers! just looked at bob's bmw catalog and those numbers are for 850/1100 (but not S model) non-heated grips > $9.99/ea. heated are a different # and alot more $. is the heating element molded into the grip like hot grips? anyone? anyway i just measured my grips on my rt and they are both 120mm long. the klr needs approx 105-110mm legnth, so i'll cut the bmw grip at the end (it's butted against a set of aluminum hanguards anyway). what i'm not seeing is the difference between the clutch & throtle grips. is one shorter or something? so both sides have a 7/8" ID that works on a standard bar (for the klr)? nice! i'll be using the ever popular protaper atv bars via the patman. what i like about the bmw grips besides tactile feel is how they are tapered to 30mm wide at the control side (to facilitate clutch/brake action) and 35mm wide at the bar end (to have a perfect fit for a throttle rocker, which is key for road riding & can be removed for dirt). after all your help with the dohickey (mike cncs the actual part, everyone!), water-pump & carb mods, the klr is running like a champ and it's time to farklize.

ed,

as you read bmw uses a completely diffrent grip for your S, so that answers that issue. thanks for the input!

Bill,

These are BMW grips, and are often added to FJR1300's. The length is slightly different, but the ID is pretty universal. The throttle side is different than the clutch side, of course. Some people have accidently picked up some ATV grips, where this was don't the case....Wasn't me, I make bigger mistakes... crazy.gif

3272 1 458 395

3272 1 458 396

These are the BMW "Sport" grips.

all the best,

Mike

what are you saying about atv?

Some ATV's (I dopn't know about all) use the same size grip on both sides. A guy came to one of the local tech days, tore off the glued-on-mess factory grips (KLR), and tried to get the new grips on. No Way on the throttle side, as it wasn't big enough for the tube. Both grips were the same size. I've noticed that Cycle Gear keeps them in seperate display areas.

all the best,

Mike

duh bill, the throttle grip ID has to be larger to accomadate the throttle tube (over the bar) whereas the cluch side glues directly to the bar. all makes sense. i can how how atv grips would throw monkey wrench in the plan. no throttle tube. all atvs us a thumb throttle so the right grip is also glued to the bar. thanks again mike!

Archived