IGNORED

PTTR and Sholder Pain

rrrich

Got back from a super nice 1,200 mile long weekend ride and had sore sholders for a couple days. No biggie, I often had a sore right sholder when I first started riding the RT and figured it was just nerves and stress. Over the years it faded and I never give it a thought.

This was different. The pain centered just left of my spine where the big bumpy vertebrae of your neck and back are, and stiffened up as the day wore on until every movement hurt. And after 9 days its still hangin' in. So I went to a physical therapist.

He's well regarded in town as one of the best, and sees lots of riders. He said the pain was caused by vibration and PTTR which caused me to compensate riding position by shifting center of gravity to the left. I've done many long rides and never experienced this and wanted to know if anyone else has heard this as a cause of left spine muscle pain.

Thanks.

I have the same symptom but on the right side. I'm waiting for a CT Myelogram so my doctor can prescribe a remedy. I previously had my C5-6, 6-7, and 7-L1 fused. I'm hoping not to have anymore surgery. I haven't been able to ride for over a month. Good luck to you.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Had C5-6 fusion in 2002. Sold the bike. Got the RT two years ago. Posture, posture, posture.

I jokingly say it isn't how well you ride...it's how you look but, there is a lot of truth to it. Looking like you have a stick up there is a neutral spine position.

What is PTTR?

Best wishes.

I had C6&7 fused in 1995 and no problems since. Just as a quick possible remedy to the PTTR, try loading heavier stuff in your left saddlebag, it may shift the balance enough to take the strain off you? Just a thought, hope you feel better soon.

As Baja guessed it's "Pulls To The Right". I'm convinced it's the cause of premature left front tire wear and now my pain in the neck.

Fusing vertabrea is a pretty extreme solution. How'd that go?

Me thinks it may be the "chicken /Egg" story. The cause of the PTTR could be causing the tire to wear on the left side. There is a myriad of posts on this subject.

I stopped my PTTR and uneven tire wear with proper fork alignment. That is my story and I'm sitckin to it. :thumbsup:

BTW, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express :P

Biking and sex, if you aren't in good shape, you may not enjoy them and perform them like you should.

Everybody knows about strength and CV fitness. That's part of the story. For biking (and other sports), you also have to ensure your flexibility*.

Here's a criterion: sit on the saddle. Can you turn your head and shoulders around enough to see 45 degrees past straight behind?

Plan on a flexibility routine maybe three nights a week to start and down to two later. 25 minutes is all it takes.

If your waist is 40 inches or more, deal with that too.

If you guys didn't blush so much, I'd talk about that other fun activity too.

I'm not saying any of this necessarily fits ...rico.

Ben

*The fourth leg of the fitness stool is balance exercises.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

:dopeslap:PTTR, I was in orthopedic mode not, bike mode.

I too don't have PTTR and, think I've solved the heavy premature left side wear. Greased the front axle slightly, went way overboard with compressing the front and setting the position based upon where the calipers want to be.

I'd look for another source for the neck pain before locking in on the PTTR. Before getting fixed, I finally realized it was how I slept (position and pillow) whether or not I'd have a bad pain day. Travelling and sleeping on hotel pillows did not help....at all.

YP(pain)MV

For some riders, the source of back/neck issues is caused by

the backpressure that happens on some beemers.

Speed/windscreen setting/rider size will factor in, but you can get air moving around the front of the bike and then pushing

on the riders back.

Tallman,

The longer I ride, the lower I like the windscreen. Used to just peek over the top...now, almost all the way down and head in the clean air unless I forgot earplugs where the screen goes back up to help with wind noise.

It's now three weeks, two PT visits (man he hurts!) and I'm still sittin here with my sholders up around my ears. Stretching everything I can, even parts I never stretched before ;-) and I'm thinking about Reiki, chiropracters and maybe...even my doctor.

This getting older thing is a bitch. Wouldn't trade it for the world though :)

I tried a used Corbin seat a couple of months back that was custom built for a guy about 5'9" (I'm 6'2"). The seat pushed me forward up on the tank, and within 20 miles, my wrists, shoulders, and back were in agony. Similarly, if I set in my existing Sargents and slouch, the riding position puts pressure in similar spots, and I can experience sore wrists and/or shoulders.

If you have no regular health problems, then you hop on a bike, and end up with sore shoulders, I suspect your riding position is out of whack, forcing you to support your upper body using your arms. You need to be in a balanced position, with your legs and torso supporting your upper body, back straight, and with your chin about at the edge or just over the fuel tank cap. That should keep the pressure off your arms and shoulders. Similarly, if you're "reaching" too far forward to grip the handle bar, that can hurt you.

You may indeed have medical issues, but a new seat, bar backs, and a more balanced riding position may solve some of your problems.

Good luck, and I mean that sincerely, because I literally have felt your pain.

- Scott

I'd suggest a back brace, and drop your shoulders while leaning forward. Also ride with a couple of fingers touching the clutch and brake levers to prevent death grip on the handlebars.

---

I normally get pain in my right shoulder and neck. Then my wife commented the other day that when riding two up, she can see around me easily to the right, but not the left. So this weekend I made an effort to think about how I was sitting. Did over 1389 miles in three days, minimal to no neck/shoulder pain. I found that maybe due to the PTTR or what ever, that I favor my left side and sit heavy on that side, as if always setting up for a left turn. Made an effort to stay square in the saddle with even pressure all around. HMMM no pain. Only on day three did it even try to come on, figure I was getting tired and antsy to get home.

I normally get pain in my right shoulder and neck. Then my wife commented the other day that when riding two up, she can see around me easily to the right, but not the left. So this weekend I made an effort to think about how I was sitting. Did over 1389 miles in three days, minimal to no neck/shoulder pain. I found that maybe due to the PTTR or what ever, that I favor my left side and sit heavy on that side, as if always setting up for a left turn. Made an effort to stay square in the saddle with even pressure all around. HMMM no pain. Only on day three did it even try to come on, figure I was getting tired and antsy to get home.

When shifting your riding position did you notice a change in the PTTR?

I have to agree with Ben on the weight in the left side case. I carry my air pump, rain gear, qt of oil, 2 bottles of water and a couple packs of Nabs in the left case and I do not have PTTR . Also try riding without the side cases and see what difference that makes.

Ride and LT, so no twin issue and no saddlebag to add or subtract. Trying to watch my posture, did notice bike wanted to go right even more, just focused on using the handlebars to off set vs my weight. Have a ride this weekend coming up, shorter, but longer days, will have to see how I do.

Ride and LT, so no twin issue and no saddlebag to add or subtract. Trying to watch my posture, did notice bike wanted to go right even more, just focused on using the handlebars to off set vs my weight.

That seems to confirm the general model Boatzo and I were suggesting.

Ben

Sorry,

I didn't do my "due dilligence" and see that it was the LT. I have no imbalance with my LT. My RT was what I was referring to with PTTR.

Do you still have the CD changer installed in the right side case?

Archived