IGNORED

R1100RT false ABS fault

Powerful Pierre

Powerful Pierre

Hi, ages ago I asked if there was a solution to the annoying habit of the ABS fault light coming on when I start up and me having to ride for a few miles and stop the bike & restart cleared it. I found the simple solution...even though my original Gel Battery was ok and doing the job ok, I decided to buy a new Odyssey battery from Motorworks in the north of England UK (these are sold worldwide I believe and particularly America) from the looks of the demo video about them on this site. The problem has now disappeared completely as this new battery has a massive initial cranking power and the voltage does not fall below the critical level that triggers the ABS "FAULT" the battery is loads heavier and real quality as it uses pure lead (they say) and to me is an excellent but slightly dearer option. Totally maintenance free too and no leaks possible. Just brilliant. Love my BM even more now.I'm off on a tour of Ireland on the RT on 21st Sept with the guys ..Also just bought a 2.2 6 cyl BMW Z3 car in metallic black which I also love!! Powerful Pierre.

Personally, I found that it was a lot cheaper to buy a relay and some wire and implement the ABS initialization delay modification, then it was to buy a new battery. I did the modification and got another 30 months out of my battery and it has never faulted since, even with a weak battery.

YMMV of course. If you aren't comfortable with doing some rewiring on your bike, then buying a new battery may be a good solution. However, depending on the new battery, some have found that the problem will come back after as little as 6 months. The problem seems to get worse over time.

Powerful Pierre

As you say I didn't fancy messing with the Wiring/ABS system and decided to invest in a new & better battery...maybe it will come back..who knows. The batteries seem a cut above the rest and are I think guaranteed for 3 years, so that's a start for me. Might well have another R1150/1200 by then... All I know is its taken away an annoying niggle for me at present.(the only one I had with the bike!)...I'll update if & when it comes back.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

i was looking at batteries this spring.

for the first time in a very long time i was able to identify something which was actually cheaper in canada than in the us (that i could see) - the pc680 . of course fat lot of good that did me as i ended up not buying one afterall.

Yeah, the price I got on the PC680 was relatively good. Relative, given that the price tag on the old battery that came out of the bike said $79 (**sigh**).

Archived