IGNORED

R1200 side bag opening problem

brianbmw

R1200 bags. When the handle flips up it doesn't slide the pins far enough out of the way to release the hooks in the lid. I have the bag opened now, but it's not working the way it should and i'm worried about it really getting stuck for good. I removed the inner bag and the latch seems to be moving all the way over when the inner part is not installed. The inner part has these metal strips with post on them that slide when you operate the handle, they are a little sticky, but still should move all the way when the handle is pulled up. This is hard to explain and if you have never taken your bags apart you probably don't have any idea what i'm talking about, but maybe i'll get lucky and someone will know of an easy fix.

Thanks,

Brian

Problem solved, it had nothing to do with lubrication. The black pc with the slot in it is actually 2 pcs that surround the metal rack and pinion parts. The 2 pcs popped a part a little bit so there was a lot of play in the system therefore the pins were not getting pushed as far as they needed to to release the hooks. I'm sure overstuffing the bags had nothing to do with it.

DSC_0438.jpg

Brian,

Glad you things worked out. One comment (don't get me wrong, I love my RT), the complexity of these latches just baffles me.

But try to find a better quality bag on any other bike.

Brian,

Glad you things worked out. One comment (don't get me wrong, I love my RT), the complexity of these latches just baffles me.

But try to find a better quality bag on any other bike.

I don't equate quality with complexity. At the risk of blaspheming here :rofl: (and it is just my opinion), take a look at the bags on any of the Harley full dress bikes. The latch is simplicity and, again my opinion, a top loading bag is much easier to deal with. Add to that no need for a double wall to hide all the mechanism and you have more useable storage. Ditto for the top box. Again, not angling for an argument it's just my opinion.

I find the bags on my new ride (2009 1200RT) a huge pain....much more difficult to manage than on the old 1100RT. I have to fiddle with them sometimes for 5-10 minutes just to get them on/off following the procedures in the manual. Complexity does not always mean better.

Hopping onto this a little late, but my bags (2009 R1200RT) were part of a recall for the locks/latch. Perhaps that's part of the problem some are experiencing? Mine definitely work better now, still not super smooth, but better.

Archived