IGNORED

The Job Market.....

azkaisr

Several local Phoenix News Outlets are reporting on McDonald's needing to hire 1000 employee's here. Now I am happy that McD's is hiring. But it speaks volumes to the job market when this type of job is a major news story.

BURGER JOBS

The owner they interviewed said they are hiring because the new drinks are so popular. That sounds like marketing to me.

Is the real story that current events in AZ have dried up the labor pool a bit?

The owner they interviewed said they are hiring because the new drinks are so popular. That sounds like marketing to me.

Is the real story that current events in AZ have dried up the labor pool a bit?

I guess a lot of grass clippings aren't being blown off the sidewalks either.

----

To me it sounds more like an indication of the weak economy. More people are probably eating at McDonalds because healthy food might be out of their budget for the time being. Suicide Burgers. I wonder what would kill you first. A pack of cigarettes a day for 10 years or eating at McDonalds everyday for 10 years.

Sort of a hijack, but it's amazingly inexpensive to eat well so long as we forget about stuffing our faces like we do in this culture.

For instance, my daily diet consistes of:

- breakfast: Tall glass of water mixed with EAS 100% Whey protein drink and maybe a bananna or an orange.

- lunch: apple + orange followed by tall glass of water mixed with EAS 100% Whey protein drink

- dinner: this is my only meal for the day

This, along with vitamin supplements is it. For dinner, I usually have a meat with a salad (chicken salad for instance). When I dine out, I get a meat/salad. I feel great after the meal, not stuffed, and I stay, um, quite regular -- which is good as it keep my colon clean :grin:

And this type of diet couldn't be any cheaper! I buy the protein drink for $50/5 lb bag at BJ's, and fruit is sold anywhere, and so is salad.

I do this as a matter of course; I am not on some special diet to lose weight (although I have lost a lot of weight this summer eating this way). This is my dietary lifestyle. Period. No doubt what I eat can stand improvement. This is my own concocked diet; I did not learn of this from a physician or a nutritionist. My goal is to better control my blood sugar highs and lows as I am an insulin dependent diabetic, and this diet has done wonders for me to this end.

We need a major cultural overhaul of our eating habits and what we consider to be good food. 6 months ago I thought I would literally die if I tried living on this diet. Today I am so pleased with this diet that there is no going back. Having said that, I do not want hard times to force such changes on us.

Dennis Andress
Sort of a hijack, but it's amazingly inexpensive to eat well so long as we forget about stuffing our faces like we do in this culture.

- breakfast: Tall glass of water mixed with EAS 100% Whey protein drink and maybe a bananna or an orange.

- lunch: apple + orange followed by tall glass of water mixed with EAS 100% Whey protein drink

About then I'd be hungry enough to kill and cook something...

:rofl:

I needed that

Dennis Andress

:wave:

Around LA the job market for Java coders has always been okay. Judging by the number clearly motivated recruiters who've cold called me in the last couple of weeks, I'd say it's 2006 again. Not that it'll last.

Yep.......9-1 is bird season and I'm gonna get my limit!!!! Double barrel or auto is the big question now???

It is much easier to go get a banana or that oh so delicious orange, but hey, it is not as fun or sporting!!!!!!

Around LA the job market for Java coders has always been okay. Judging by the number clearly motivated recruiters who've cold called me in the last couple of weeks, I'd say it's 2006 again. Not that it'll last.

Java programmer?

Suddenly so much becomes clear about you to this java admin

:rofl:

Hope you guys are well Dennis! :wave:

When motivated, you'd be surprised at how well your body can adjust to your will. When my blood sugar levels fall below safe levels (into the 50's and lower) it can produce deadly results. The scariest time of the day for me is bed time: am I going to get a good night sleep or am I going to wake up at 2AM completely out of my mind because the insulin I injected is causing my blood sugar to plummet? So in an attempt to control the problem, this side of buying an insulin pump, is for me to do what I can to minimize the amount of insulin I need to inject in the first place.

Therefore I am on a crazy diet and exercise program. The diet ensures that my blood sugar never spikes enough for me to need a large dose of insulin in the first place, because the higher the blood sugar the more insulin needed to bring it back down, and therefore the higher the likelihood I will inject too much and do myself some damage. Next is exercise. If I exercise on a daily basis, the little bit of insulin I took will have a much greater effect on my blood sugar. Sum total: I need less and less insulin and therefore I greatly reduce the likelihood of an insulin crash.

In the process I have discovered that all my body needs is nutrition, that's it. I have a psychological need to feel "full", and therefore I think I need to eat all manner of mass quantities, but that is simply a cultural and psychological need, not a physiological one. I want to eat only what I need to stay strong and healthy, but no more. The fat on my body and especially my tummy tells me that I am consuming FAR more than my body really needs. My experiences have been that as I reduce my food intake, it takes less and less food for me to feel "full". Now a protein drink and an orange leaves me feeling full believe it or not. And a chicken salad for dinner? A feast! And it's usually the cheapest thing on the menu when the family eats out, so I'm happy when the bill arrives.

We put our bodies under a lot of physiological stress with our overwhelming diet in this country. Thus we suffer from diabetes, heart diseases, cancers -- I believe that's our body's way of telling us "enough"! Better to listen before those conditions set in. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure -- if there is a cure to be had at all.

:eek: Doughnuts!!! Must have REAL doughnuts! Not those silly simulacra offered by Krispy Kreme, air-filled and insubstantial to the point that they reflect modern political thought.

No, I need a real sinker, one that lets you know when it hits your stomach and then goes on to provide substantial nutrition for days and something that you can see as a reminder of good times as the years go by. :thumbsup:

Pilgrim

:eek: Doughnuts!!! Must have REAL doughnuts! Not those silly simulacra offered by Krispy Kreme, air-filled and insubstantial to the point that they reflect modern political thought.

No, I need a real sinker, one that lets you know when it hits your stomach and then goes on to provide substantial nutrition for days and something that you can see as a reminder of good times as the years go by. :thumbsup:

Pilgrim

Spoken like a true representative of Law Enforcement (retired) :rofl:

( Hi Kent !!! )

Nah, it's a smaller employee pool. Kids are either back in school or very soon will be. The others...well there are McDonalds in Mexico.

Bruce

Joe Frickin' Friday

And avoiding processed foods. Buy fresh ingredients, make it yourself, and cost almost always goes down while quality almost always goes up.

We make our own spaghetti sauce at home from scratch, and it's one of my favorite meals. Per serving, it includes an ounce of italian sausage and an ounce of ground beef (with some homemade italian-sausage-spice to jazz it up a bit more), plus lots of onions and green peppers, and diced tomatoes. Including the pasta, dinner ends up costing around $2.00 a plate. It keeps well, too. We usually make six servings in a batch, then have spaghetti two more nights later in the week. Likewise with a number of other recipes.

For other dishes, real rice tastes better than Minute Rice, and it's waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper. Invest in a rice cooker, and it becomes painfully easy to make: pour in rice, pour in water, push button, wait for beep 45 minutes later.

But every now and then, I still loves me an honest-to-God Johnsonville brat from the grill.

OTOH, when it comes to lunch, I'm just plain lazy. I can't bring myself to prepare a workday lunch the night before (or in the morning before I head to work), so I invariably go out for lunch. I tend to stay away from McD's and Wendy's, but I won't claim any of the rest of my lunch choices are particularly healthy.

Question about the article:

Perspective employees can fill out an application and be interviewed by the local manager.

What the hell is a "perspective" employee?

Dave McReynolds

- dinner: this is my only meal for the day

Interesting. This is almost the same as the diet I've used at times in the past and have just gone back on. For about the last year, since turning 65, I've sort of let myself go. 65 always just sounded so old to me that I think I let it go to my head. But then we went on our annual backpacking trip, and two weeks later I'm 10 pounds down, feeling 10 years younger, and wanting to stay that way. 5 more pounds and I'll be down to my goal weight.

The protein drink and fruit works for me during the day because I don't have to make any decisions about what or how much to eat. Just open a package and dump it in water. Eat some fruit. I don't mind fruit, but don't like it so well that I would be tempted to sneak an extra apple just for the fun of it.

Nancy knows the drill for dinner. I get a plate with meat and veggies on it, and that's that. She does the thinking; all I have to do is sit down and eat. When I'm on my own, I usually have a sardine sandwich with all the veggies I can cram between two pieces of bread. I'm not all that crazy about sardines, so again I'm not tempted to eat more than I really need. Sardines are supposed to be good for you, since they are small fish and don't have a large concentration of heavy metals, like tuna, which I would prefer as far as taste is concerned.

I really don't get hungry on that diet. I think the protien drinks help keep the appetite down, the lack of having to make decisions about anything helps keep my mind off food, and the fact that I'm not crazy about the food keeps me from wanting too much of it. It's usually good for a pound a week, if I keep my daily exercise up.

You guys are very fortunate. I recently discovered that I finally have hypertension. No surprise given my demographic and the fact that I am a diabetic. But now I have to keep a eagle eye on my sodium intake. My one favorite dish I loved to indulge in as a diabetic is good, ole spaghetti. I love that stuff! Rich, thick, red tomatoe sauce --- hnmmmmmmm! Aside from the fact that pasta sends my blood sugar levels flying, the sauces are usually very high in sodium.

Mitch, I am wondering about the sodium content of your recipe? And I am going to ask you something I have never asked for in my life, nor did I ever think I would ask for ever in my life: mind sharing your recipe? :grin:

For me, as a rule, if it tastes good, I probably cannot eat it :cry: So you guys and your Big Mac's and Smoothies and Krispy Kreme's and stuff. Enjoy it while you can. Someday you might face similar constraints as I do.

Huh? What does Starbucks have to do with McDonald's? Oh, wait, McDonald's has all those new coffee drinks. I get it now. I'm sort of surprised, though that the recruiter business must be so bad they're even chasing low-wage suspects like McDonald's employees.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Mitch, I am wondering about the sodium content of your recipe? And I am going to ask you something I have never asked for in my life, nor did I ever think I would ask for ever in my life: mind sharing your recipe? :grin:

First, there's the Italian sausage spice. I didn't want to put a whole bunch of fatty sausage into the sauce, so I dug around on the web for a recipie for IS spice, and used it to perk up ground beef:

Italian Sausage Spice

1/8 cup salt

1/4 cup garlic salt

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1/2 cup ground paprika

1 tablespoon anise seed

2 tablespoons fennel seed

1/8 cup red pepper flakes

This supposedly makes enough spice for 20 pounds of Italian sausage; we keep a little tupperware container of it on hand.

Spaghetti sauce

1/2 pound lean ground beef

1 single Johnsonville HOT Italian sausage

1/2 teaspoon Italian Sausage spice

1 Tablespoon garlic, chopped/crushed

1 teaspoon ground sage

1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped

1 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon basil

½ teaspoon brown sugar

dash of salt

dash of pepper

crushed red pepper flakes to taste

16 ounces tomato paste

water as needed to achieve desired consistency

Brown the meat, add everything else. You can use pure tomato paste for a thick red sauce, or a big can of diced/crushed tomatoes for something like a pomodoro, or a smaller can of each for something in between.

Onions and peppers aren't listed in the recipe, but we typically add 4 large onions and a couple of green peppers. Makes enough sauce for six big servings.

Salt? Where? :grin: You can of course leave salt out, or replace it with a salt substitute.

Archived