IGNORED

Starter question

mshuell

Greetings,

Bike is a 1996 R1100RT with around 85,000 miles. About a year ago, the starter seemed to be getting tired so I replaced it with a new Valeo unit. It worked great until last week. Now, when I hit the switch, I can hear the solenoid engage, but the starter motor does not turn. After about 3 - 4 tries, the starter motor will engage and turns the engine briskly. The battery is new. I'm planning on getting into it today. My hope is the contacts to the starter are corroded and it's not getting all the juice it needs to spin over.

If anyone else has some thoughts, please let me know. I have to tell you that I can change parts, but I'm not a real mechanic. My electrical diagnostic skills are minimal.

Best Wishes, Mark Shuell.

Was this a "brand new" Valeo unit or one that you bought used that is "new" to the bike?

If it is new, just call the shop you bought it from and tell them the issue. However, if it is a used replacement starter, you could well have the detached magnet issue with it.

Assuming the solenoid to motor wiring connection is tight my guess is that one of the motor brushes is sticking. The brushes move along the axis of the motor onto the commutator unlike a conventional motor. Get a soft hammer and gently tap the END of the motor. This might release a sticking brush.

If that fails it is not a difficult job to dismantle the motor. Its easier to take of the side plate first.

regards,

Ian

Greetings,

Here's the progress so far. Last night I took off the tupperware and looked at all of the connections. None of them showed any appreciable corrosion, but I took each of them off and carefully sanded them shiny clean. It seems to have worked. This morning I hit the start button and she cranked and fired perfectly. I have my fingers crossed. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Best Wishes, Mark Shuell.

...so I replaced it with a new Valeo unit. It worked great until last week. Now, when I hit the switch, I can hear the solenoid engage, but the starter motor does not turn.

If the unit is new, take it back.

It sounds like a magnet failure and the supplier needs to replace it.

If it is not new, then it is probably a magnet failure nad you need to replace it!

Andy

Greetings,

The contact clean fix only worked for one day. The next morning, "Click, click". Rats.

I then took Ian's advice. I removed the tupperware, place a piece of wood on the end of the starter and tapped it smartly a few times with a hammer. A miracle immediately occured and the unit has been working perfectly for the last few days. Is that it? Is this likely to be a permanent fix?

Best wishes, Mark Shuell.

I wouldn't trust it Mark, now you know it was almost certainly a sticking brush it's worth opening it up to give the brush mechanism a clean,

Dave.

IMHO, You should buy a new starter...will save a lot of heartache in the long run :thumbsup:

GO HERE for a new starter or, if you feel up to it, a new "can" and rebuild parts.

Really, bite the bullet and buy a new starter...

... A miracle immediately occured and the unit has been working perfectly for the last few days. Is that it? Is this likely to be a permanent fix?

Best wishes, Mark Shuell.

No miricle, just releasing a sticky component.

Is that it?....NO

Permanent fix...NO

Time to invest in a service exchange or new starter motor

or take yours off, clean and inspect it for signs of magnet detaching.

Andy

Mark,

I pleased that my tip worked. I am experienced in the maintenance and repair of electric motors of all sizes and have worked with all types of brushes and brush carriers.

I also recommend that despite you getting it to work you should remove the end cover to inspect the brushes. If brushes get too worn they tilt in the carrier and instead of sliding smoothly by the spring pressure they can jam. When this happens one or both brushes do not contact the commutator and then the motor cannot turn.

You can buy a set of brushes for this motor for a modest cost and they are not difficult to change.

If it was a problem with one of the permanent magnet then when the motor did turn you would hear a screeching noise and soon total failure.

See here for illustration of brushes.

http://www.bikersoracle.com/rs/forum/showthread.php?t=3698

The replacement kit is part

1241 1244 685 approx $30

regards,

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Ian, 8-31-10 "Assuming the solenoid to motor connection is tight..."

Here's what I hope is the final entry in the tale of my starter. Since the starter is still covered by warranty, I called John Rayski at Euro Moto Electronics where I purchased the unit. John said "No problem. Just ship it back." Upon receipt, John called me with a few questions about what the problem was. I explained to John that I'm a mental midget when it comes to electrical problems and he was very patient with me. He ran it through his tests and decided the solenoid to motor connection wasn't what it should be. He made the repair, lock tighted the nut into place and shipped it back to me by Priority Mail.

Installation was last night and so far, so good. Thanks to all for the advice and thank you to John Rayski at Euro Moto for the excellent service. I will do business with Euro Moto in the future.

Mark Shuell.

Archived