IGNORED

iPhone Navigator

Perlova

Is anyone using an iPhone as a navigation tool for their bikes?

I hear that the Navigon software is pretty good and if I don't need to carry one more device on my travels, that would be a good thing.

I have used it for about a year. I use CoPilot North America but believe that Navigon and other software would be similar.

The good:

It is cheap to buy and so far updates are free.

It has excellant data base.

The Bad:

Can't use it with gloves

Can't develop a route and download it to software.

Overall I like it and think it is part of the IPhone experience.

Karl

That was going to be my next question. The route planning function is a big concern. The Navigon specs say the software has a route planning feature but does not go into specifics.

The attraction of the iPhone is that it is a mini "computer" and features can be added on quite easily, unlike a standalone device.

The gloves issue is a big one, however, my new iPhone4 seems to be more forgiving. I can unlock it with my thin summer gloves. Worse case senario is having to cut the tip off of the gloves index finger.

My wife has the TomTom nav app on her iPhone 3GS, and it works really well (better than the built-in nav system in her car). But I haven't used it on the bike. One other issue on the bike is environmental protection: heat, cold, vibration, moisture.

For Route Planning I use paper maps.

I write the road changes on paper and put in the tankbag 09RT.

The GPS helps find the roads and often indicates the route I have chosen after the first several road changes. (After all there are only so many reasonable ways to get from A to B.)

Karl

• 2 weeks later...

Myself and three other friends all installed the Navigon software on our iPhones. It worked perfectly on all of my friend's phones but will not work on mine unless I am outside and the skies are clear. I did some research into this and it seems that the gps chip in iPhones varies greatly in its ability to pick up a signal.

Someone is making a supersized android phone tablet which I think would be awesome for bike nav use, provided it was water tight. I was about to buy a Garmin for my bike but I think we are so close technologically that I am goign to hold off for a while. For the all in one Phone/GPS/tablet/mp3 player

Myself and three other friends all installed the Navigon software on our iPhones. It worked perfectly on all of my friend's phones but will not work on mine unless I am outside and the skies are clear. I did some research into this and it seems that the gps chip in iPhones varies greatly in its ability to pick up a signal.

What about the route planning feature. Have you tried out how the Navigon works pre-planning and saving routes?

Isn't the problem with using the iPhone as GPS that it won't work outside of cell coverage area? Or do some of these solutions come with offline maps (I'd have to assume they'd take up a lot of memory on the device in that case)?

Isn't the problem with using the iPhone as GPS that it won't work outside of cell coverage area? Or do some of these solutions come with offline maps (I'd have to assume they'd take up a lot of memory on the device in that case)?

The apps that are a couple of dollars use the Google maps, so a web connection is essential. However, TomTom and Navigon incorporate their own mapsets, meaning that they'll work anywhere you get a reliable GPS signal.

I haven't contemplated using the iPhone apps on my m/c. There are a few issues, including exposure to moisture, small screen size, and difficulty in manipulating the controls with gloves (in fact, I'm not sure that it would work at all.

As GPS navigators, both the TomTom and Navigon versions are more than passable, with the caveat that the GPS chip is not as sensitive or precise as you'd sometimes hope in a car. I've used both and I generally prefer the TomTom version. I'd say that they're close to being as good as most stand-alone GPS units for automotive use.

The later iPhones have a built in gps chip that does not rely on cell coverage.It comes in the 3GS and newer,not sure about the 3.

Some have online mapping,but a lot are going to downloaded software just like a regular gps.

JR356

GPS on smart phones is the way of the future. I still love my Zumo on the bike and in the car, but the GOLFSHOT GPS app on my iPhone 4 has replaced my $300 SKYCADDIE golf gps which now sits unused in a drawer. And the app cost just $29 and is updated for free. The Skycaddie charges $29 for its annual update. And the iPhone app comes with a brighter screen and better graphics.

My guess is that in the near future, most people will pop their smartphone into a holder in their vehicle and use it as a GPS. Garmin must be pretty scared. :P

My guess is that in the near future, most people will pop their smartphone into a holder in their vehicle and use it as a GPS. Garmin must be pretty scared. :P

At least TomTom and Navigon offer a smartphone app. Garmin still does not, which is going to force them to play catch up.

At least TomTom and Navigon offer a smartphone app. Garmin still does not, which is going to force them to play catch up.

The new Galaxy S phones from Samsung have a very cool GPS app out of the box. And they are on every major carrier (unlike the iPhone).

Hmmm...I didn't Navigon like it at all. It's pretty expensive. On the iTunes store it seems to be anywhere from $29 to $119. Doesn't matter. I thought it would be about equal to an expensive GPS device, so okay, it costs money. But here' my problem with it. It is very slow to boot. For example, I don't do a lot of texting, but I get an occasional text. Each time you leave Navigon, for instance to check out a text, it takes a while to get back in, and boot up. Very unhappy with this purchase. Plus, the company web site had no way for me to get my money back. Just my .02

. Each time you leave Navigon, for instance to check out a text, it takes a while to get back in, and boot up. Very unhappy with this purchase. Plus, the company web site had no way for me to get my money back. Just my .02

I have had items refunded but from Apple and not the software developer. In iTunes click on Store (at the top) and then View My Account. Log in and then click on Purchase History. Click the little circled arrow to the left of your Navigon Purchase and then Report a Problem. Be nice and explain what issues you are having and request a refund. It will take a while but they might reverse your charge.

Hmmm...I didn't Navigon like it at all. It's pretty expensive. On the iTunes store it seems to be anywhere from $29 to $119. Doesn't matter. I thought it would be about equal to an expensive GPS device, so okay, it costs money. But here' my problem with it. It is very slow to boot. For example, I don't do a lot of texting, but I get an occasional text. Each time you leave Navigon, for instance to check out a text, it takes a while to get back in, and boot up. Very unhappy with this purchase. Plus, the company web site had no way for me to get my money back. Just my .02

I just bought the Navigon for $59.99 and so far it appears to be working really well. Now, I have the new iPhone 4 which has multi-tasking (somewhat) and a faster processor and the GPS works well and loads quicker then either one of my Garmins. I don't think that it will replace my Garmin 2820, but it is a really good reference tool, that will only improve as Navigon adds more functionality through software upgrades.

Archived