IGNORED

R12RT helmet lock solutions

bmwscoot

Hey guys,

I may be bugging some '05RT owners for a while, before buying my own R12RT.

Re: Helmet locks

I don't want to hear about how the side cases and trunk swallow up full face helmets. When Barb and I are 2-up on a trip, those cases are FULL! There certainly would be no room for a helmet.

My question then, is where/what is working for you guys afa auxillary helmet lock locations are concerned.

When I had my '02 and '04 RT's, I used a Helmet Guardian on the rear fender. As such, the plastic fender was woefully unsupported, and flopped around a bit.

I devised a thick alum. reinforcing plate behind the fender to support it.

So, do I have to do that again if I get the new RT??

Any new solutions out there?

A determined thief will take your helmet no matter what kind of lock you use so all we can do is make it more difficult for them and maybe they will look somewhere else. I use a 2 ft lenght of 5/32 stainless cable with a small loop at each end. I thread it either through the full face opening or through the D ring and then use a small padlock. I usually loop the cable under the brake or clutch lines and around the bars. Worked so far.

I use a helmet guardian on my r12rt. 7000 plus miles, including daily commuting where I am using the lock every day and so far no problems or signs of problems to come plastic fatigue marking). Ir works well.

I'm rarely in a location where I feel the need to lock my helmet if I have to leave it on the bike. On the few occasions i do I generally leave my jacket also and run a cable through the jacket and the chin bar and attach it to the bike. Pretty much the same as Jeff.

In the RT's tool kit there is a cable to lock your helmet, the eyes attach to a hook under the passenger seat (see attachment). You can get two helmets attached. I may get a longer cable to secure jackets when I feel the need. I've never had a problem but am concerned when I'm the only motorcycle around.

583985-helmetlock.JPG.cc381be308c364156500436b453d9968.JPG

Z Tecknik makes a license plate holder and helmet holder combo. Holds two helmets, I mounted it after removing the plastic bolt holders and used a nylon anti reverse nut for security. You can't remove them with your fingers only. My helmet has "D" rings and with an extender it works great. I paid $60, already had the extenders. Just don't leave the helmet open side up if it might rain.

Do you happen to have a website? Thanks!

Z Tecknik makes a license plate holder and helmet holder combo. Holds two helmets, I mounted it after removing the plastic bolt holders and used a nylon anti reverse nut for security. You can't remove them with your fingers only. My helmet has "D" rings and with an extender it works great. I paid $60, already had the extenders. Just don't leave the helmet open side up if it might rain.

Jeff, on my 1150RT I removed the Helmet Guardian locks from their plate and mounted them directly on the backs of the sidebags. Works great, and only one key. Heres a pic:

lock.jpg

Sounds like the answer is - No. tongue.gif

FWIW, after playing the search for the perfect helmet lock game for a few years, we just gave up and started closing the lid of the top case on the straps.

I bought my z Technik at Foothills BMW in Lakewood, CO.

Their web site is available by looking in the BMW ON or try a "z" search. I am not very computer literate or I'd put it here for you.

What part of S. OR? I was born in Burns but have been in CO for 32 years.

Sounds like the answer is - No. tongue.gif

Thanks guys. It looks like I have seen most of these solutions too. wink.gif

I think the Z-Technik looks like a Helmet Guardian clone...or is it the other way around? grin.gif

So far, I would probably just go the Helmet Guardian route, with an aluminum plate reinforcement inside the rear fender that I used on my '02 then '04 RT's.

Or else I will mount the Helmet Guardian locks to the bags...but I hate to drill into those bags...

Now if I could just pull the trigger on the new R12RT. There are still a couple o' questions in my mind, especially when dropping $21K on this thing.

This is not the correct thread to post the questions, and frankly I have seen most of my 'issues' brought up elsewhere.

...but I hate to drill into those bags...

Not a big deal. I guarantee your drill bit will have zero problems! grin.gif You'll need two holes as you will see when you dismount the locks from the bar. One for the screw, one small hole for the guide pin (to prevent rotation). No backup plate inside the bags needed. I have been using the Helmet Guardian locks on the bags for three years and find them ultra-convenient.

I just hate the idea of drilling into those bags...

Think of yourself as a sidebag. "Gosh, it's so stuffy with that rubber seal. I think the CO2 is building up in here. I'm geting dizzy. Sure wish somebody would drill a hole or two and let some air in!" Did that help???

lol

I just hate the idea of drilling into those bags...

Think of yourself as a sidebag. "Gosh, it's so stuffy with that rubber seal. I think the CO2 is building up in here. I'm geting dizzy. Sure wish somebody would drill a hole or two and let some air in!" Did that help???

Went to bike shop bought a 30 cm long coated cable with a built in lock on it. Works great can attach anywhere cable can be lopped. Only cost 5 bucks.

Do you happen to have a website? Thanks!

http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=820323%7C820388&PRID=1096545

the helmet guardian mounts go out sideway, where as the z-tech goes down (and is about as wide as the rear fender). if you use the helmet gaurdian you'll need to look real hard how your fender is mounted and use washers, better bolts, etc to stregnthen it up, as it might twist from weight. as the guardian mounts wide, it can/will tweak the fender (at least on the older RTs). i think more so if only one helmet is used as apposed to both to balance the downward weight. the wider-mount gaurdian might be easier to mount 2 helmets, but i use the z-tech and don't find it a problem with room mounting 2 helmets. infact the 2 helmets nest nicely with each other at the rear of the bike. the locks are push button activated and take only seconds to get 2 helmets locked (d-ring helmets only). i like the liscense plate lock idea as i ride without sidebags at times. i always have my locks easily & quickly accesable and don't need to lift the seat or use extra cables. also when only 1 helmet is mounted, the fender does not twist as the force is mostly downwards. i still upgraded my fender mounts but using larger washers where bolts where used and metal bolts where plastic fasteners where used. not sure how the 12rt rear fender is mounted.

01-Helmet-locks-2.jpg

Works good on my 12GS!

Jim cool.gif

hey your name wouldn't happen to be jim von baden would it?

Actually, it isn't. But almost everyone know's me as Jim Von Baden, so I go with it. grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

Archived