IGNORED

Things you don't want to see in the road, part XXXVI

DavidEBSmith

DavidEBSmith

Some say every accident is preventable, but if you were on a motorcycle a few vehicle lengths ahead of this dash camera, I'm not sure what you'd do to protect yourself.

"They are investigating what role, if any, speed played in the crash."

Doesn't seem like they'll have to dig too deeply to figure that out. :grin:

I saw that on the news this morning too. The dude was believed to have been doing 100+ mph. That can be bad for your health. Hard to believe the driver survived.

That kind of thing is on my mind constantly when riding, especially on freeways. One sees so many lunatics out there speeding way above the limit, abrupt lane switches, weaving, and cutting off. It just takes one loon to rear end you at 100mph, sideswipe or cut you off on your bike and I don't know if there is much you could do about it. I just assume all cagers are crazy, drugged out, drunk, inattentive or in a foul mood and they will do the worst thing at the worst time.

Occasionally it's just time to get your ticket punched and there isn't much you can do about it. Some things in life are unavoidable.

Some say every accident is preventable, but if you were on a motorcycle a few vehicle lengths ahead of this dash camera, I'm not sure what you'd do to protect yourself.

It may not be preventable on your end... :frown:

This collision certainly could have been prevented, if the guy had stopped instead of running from the police.

That kind of thing is on my mind constantly when riding, especially on freeways. One sees so many lunatics out there speeding way above the limit, abrupt lane switches, weaving, and cutting off. It just takes one loon to rear end you at 100mph, sideswipe or cut you off on your bike and I don't know if there is much you could do about it. I just assume all cagers are crazy, drugged out, drunk, inattentive or in a foul mood and they will do the worst thing at the worst time.

Drunk.

He was going over 100 mph when he intentionally ran over me with his truck.

I wasn't in a foul mood, until then.

:/

I've been awfully close to a similar circumstance while on a bike. I was in the number 1 lane, 2 cars behind a girl in a jeep who just lost control. She bounced off the center divider and then did a 540 spin across 4 lanes of traffic, somehow not hitting anyone in the process, and wound up facing traffic in the shoulder on the far side of the number 4 lane. Had I been next to her instead of behind her, there would have been no avoiding it. Scary stuff.

The video kept repeating the driver was lucky to have survived. I would say that the rest of the world was unlucky that he survived. Next time he will probably take someone else with him. They should lock him up and throw away the key, but he probably won't even get the speeding ticket he earned.

The drunk will usually survive, and other innocent people suffer the consequences.

I find it hard to believe an 'investigation' is underway to determine if 'speed' played a part in the accident, as the reporter said.

I'm pretty darn sure I can answer that question!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived