IGNORED

chargers for new 1200's

jimswms

so, looks like I'm gonna need to buy a charger for my new GS1200. Once winter hits, I may not be able to ride enough. Has anyone found a solution to the $120 BMW charger?

Jim

so, looks like I'm gonna need to buy a charger for my new GS1200. Once winter hits, I may not be able to ride enough. Has anyone found a solution to the $120 BMW charger?

Jim

Charging a lead acid battery (any type, including gel cells) is hardly rocket science. The purpose of winter charging is simply to keep the battery from sulphating. There is no need to keep it at 100% charge!

Therefore, all you need to do is charge it at a reasonably low current (say 1 or 2 amps) UNTIL the voltage rises to 13.8V or so. You can use a normal "trickle charger" for this. Then, one the required voltage is reached, disconnect the charger! The result will be a battery that reaches 80% to 85% charge, which is prefectly good enough to eliminate the problem of sulphating.

Do this every 3 to 4 weeks, and store the battery in a cool place (remembering that the self-discharge rate doubles for every 5 or 10 degrees celsius). Your battery will be in perfect condition come spring.

Bob.

Yes.

Pick up a Battery Tender gel-batter charger. Then clip it directly to your battery terminals. Problem solved.

Better yet, pick up a BMW-type Powerlet socket from Cycle Gadgets, wire that to the battery terminals, and then plug the charger into that socket. Makes it easier.

Note that the BMW release below says that batteries in CanBus bikes must be disconnected before charging with a Battery Tender type charger. So, while it may be annal to worry about this, proceed at your own risk!!

bmw_battery.jpg

Note that the BMW release below says that batteries in CanBus bikes must be disconnected before charging with a Battery Tender type charger. So, while it may be annal to worry about this, proceed at your own risk!!

I think they are worried about larger quick chargers. The Battery Tender type trickle charges work just fine connected directly to the battery even when the battery is still in the bike. Do not get the Gel type charger. The new 1200's have an AGM battery not a Gel battery. The Gel battery chargers charge to a higher peak voltage which will damage the battery and could damage the CanBus.

...Do not get the Gel type charger. The new 1200's have an AGM battery not a Gel battery. The Gel battery chargers charge to a higher peak voltage which will damage the battery and could damage the CanBus.

The above diagram shows the R1200ST and R1200GS having AGM and the R1200RT having Gel.

Archived