IGNORED

Purchased 2 K bikes from an estate sale!

trainer1002

Service question. I just purchased two K Bikes. I ran across a ad for an estate sale. I was able to convince the executor to meet me early for a preview before the date.

1989 K100RS 5,000 miles, and 1987 K75S 9,756 miles. Here is the kicker... the bikes were stored in a basement of a house for 13 years! Both bikes were covered and on stands. Removed the covers) and about fell over! they looked new, I mean not one scratch

They were going to listed for $4989 and $3899(Too much)

(I had brought cash being optimistic my trailer) She asked if I would like to buy them now! I explained I only had $2000.00 cash, she stated she did not want to deal with the sale and agreed on $2000!!

The only condition, I had to take all the "stuff" in the other room: 4 Shoei helmets, two bike stands, covers, extra corbin seats, radar detectors, extra tall windshields,hard bags, and soft bags, rain gear, a case of oil for both bikes, 4 tank bags, Riding jackets with heated vests. and too much more to list.

What a task it was removing the bikes! but I was not about to leave, in case she changed her mind. I paid her and got titles in hand.

The gas tanks smell of varnish, I removed the gas tank fill cap and inspected. appears to be slight rust in the tank covering the sending unit and guage float.

Purchased a new battery, and rolled the motor a few times, to make sure it was not locked up, it did roll over, but did not fire.

Questions:

How do I remove fuel wthout taking the tanks off?

What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance

Trainer1002

At minimum you'll need new fuel pumps and probably treatment for the inside of the tanks. After that you'll be able to assess it step by step. Still sounds like a great deal.

You are going to need to disassemble and go through the enitre fuel delivery system at the very least. Not to mention brakes.

If you are not able to do this, take it to someone who can. You scored so big that spending a bit more will pay off.

Service question. I just purchased two K Bikes. I ran across a ad for an estate sale. I was able to convince the executor to meet me early for a preview before the date.

1989 K100RS 5,000 miles, and 1987 K75S 9,756 miles. Here is the kicker... the bikes were stored in a basement of a house for 13 years! Both bikes were covered and on stands. Removed the covers) and about fell over! they looked new, I mean not one scratch

They were going to listed for $4989 and $3899(Too much)

(I had brought cash being optimistic my trailer) She asked if I would like to buy them now! I explained I only had $2000.00 cash, she stated she did not want to deal with the sale and agreed on $2000!!

The only condition, I had to take all the "stuff" in the other room: 4 Shoei helmets, two bike stands, covers, extra corbin seats, radar detectors, extra tall windshields,hard bags, and soft bags, rain gear, a case of oil for both bikes, 4 tank bags, Riding jackets with heated vests. and too much more to list.

What a task it was removing the bikes! but I was not about to leave, in case she changed her mind. I paid her and got titles in hand.

The gas tanks smell of varnish, I removed the gas tank fill cap and inspected. appears to be slight rust in the tank covering the sending unit and guage float.

Purchased a new battery, and rolled the motor a few times, to make sure it was not locked up, it did roll over, but did not fire.

Questions:

How do I remove fuel wthout taking the tanks off?

What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance

Trainer1002

That was one awesome deal!!!

Thanks for the responses, I planned on taking them in to a BMW dealer.

I guess the direct question should have been, has anyone on the boards heard of such a thing? A bike that has been exhumed, and brought back to life?

And, what general dealer pricing for BASIC

"Get this running", I can do brakes, and adjustments.

I guess I am experiencing a little "what did I just get myself into" and did I pay too much remorse.

I hope these are the treasures you hear about, right place, right time.

A little background, I have some mechanical skills,( with older machines, rebuilds and brakes) but, these bikes look and appear to be much more technical.

By the way, I apolgize for no introduction! Been riding as long as can remember, I have been off the saddle for about 10 years. Anxious to be getting back on.

Recently transferred to TN, the Smoky Mountains, which is amazing!

Been thru the Harley phase, I have always admired the BMW bikes ( I have owned several BMW cars), and look forward to learning more from you all about these wonderful machines!

Hopefully will get these running soon, will update with pics.

Thanks for having me,

Trainer

They can be made roadworthy again. Even though stored in a basement check all rubber parts. Obviously change all fluids. Have Dealer lube splines. You can be certain your dealer will have some suggestions as well.

Fill in your member profile. Welcome to the family!

The bikes will run again.

But, you'll need to completely review fuel storage (tanks) and fuel transport lines and fuel pump.

I wouldn't fire it up or try to.

Get them totally free of bad gas gremlins first.

You may/will most likely have to replace lots of lines, not a big deal.

The tanks need someone with experience looking at them.

There is a right way to do this step, and a lot of wrong ways.

New tires a must.

Don't be chintzy, do what it takes to restore these like new rides and in the end it will pay off.

Best wishes.

That was one heck of a deal. I'm still waiting for MY once in a lifetime opportunity. Actually, I'm working on my second opportunity ... I gave up on the first.

Welcome aboard Trainer, WOW what a deal you got, you must live right :thumbsup:

The other posts here have given you good advice. To expand on Tony K's comments about brakes, I think he is referring to changing the brake fluid (COMPLETELY).

Best wishes on getting the bikes running again and having great rides. :clap:

Gents, thank-you for the positive feedback. A little update. Our local BMW shop will not be able to look at my bike, bikes, 4-5 weeks! I've decided to tackle 1 on my own. Service manual was included.

I have removed the tank on the K100, drained fuel. The sending unit is ruined and fuel pump is covered in tar goo. Mixed up a little acetone and thinner used a brush

Tank is shiny again.

I will order a fuel pump kit, and a sending unit today.

Any thought, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Will keep you all posted.

Trainer

I just went through a similar process with a newly aquired K75S. Beemerboneyard has a pump kit with damper, clip, hoses, filter, and pump (all new - not used)at a good savings over delaer prices. Some have gone with the car pump replacement but thats what the PO had done to mine and it looked kind of hacked. I went with the more stock set up but thats just me. After the cleaning and replacement the bike started right up but had a hesitation, in the end I sent the injectors away for a cleaning and the bike runs great now. I have replaced the tires and am on to all fluids etc. at this point.I am also dealing with the pinholes in the tank problem but that should work out. I have a '99 GS and have always worked on my toys but have never had any desire to work on the GS. I purchased the K very cheaply and have enjoyed working on it so far. In addition I find it an easy machine to work on, so far anyway.

Your dealer did you a favor by not being able to look at your bike for five weeks. You are off to a good start and you will save a buck and have some fun working on it to.

You mentioned rust in I believe one of the tanks. As mentioned above that has to be taken care of posthaste.

Who did you use to clean the injectors?

Mr. Injector. He has a web page and the cost was $16 per injector same day turn around. I sent them on a Monday and had them back Sat. He sends a before and after report with them etc. I was very satisfied. I'm sure there are many other places that are good also but this is the one I have experience with.

Contact www.beemerboneyard.com about the fuel pump kits. They have an exact replacment kit for the K series bikes including everything you need to install them. I use them for alot of my service items.

They will save you alot of money over BMW list prices.

Jim

It's always fun to hear about deals like this. I just met somebody this past week that bought a lighthouse at auction for $500. They were the sole bidders. Neat!

Like everybody above suggested, replace all hoses and fluids. Engine should not be started without cylinder & piston being oiled since it is essentially dry. Tires should be replaced since they would have dry rot. Fuel system should be fully cleaned. Same for brake system.

Good luck!

shoot...Had a similar project a few years ago. I simply drained and changed all fluids,changed hoses (fuel brakes) pulled the plugs and squirted in some Marvel Mystery Oil, gased it, started it. Engine sat for approximately 15 years... Everything else came later.

Jim, thank you for the link. What a great resource for future needs, and yes, there prices are much less!

The tires appear to be fairly new, upon inspection I have found no signs of dry rot.

The bikes were. Stored on actual stands(not center stands). Metzeler(misspelled) tires. Thoughts???

Paul Mihalka

Except for may be a short test ride around the block I would not ride on tires over ten years old even if they look good.

It's always fun to hear about deals like this. I just met somebody this past week that bought a lighthouse at auction for $500. They were the sole bidders. Neat!

Now that sounds like a deal. Did that included the land it's on also?

I thought I would give an update as to the status of one of my bikes. I found a great mechanic on craigs list here local.

-Complete fuel pump kit $349.00

-Complete tank cleaning N/C

-New tires front and rear $289.00

-New battery $74.00

-Oil& filter included N/C (8 filters/12 quarts of BMW oil included with bike)

-Labor from mechanic including pick and delivery $150.00

-Just returned from a 45 mile test ride...PRICELESS!!!!

The K100 performed great! what a nice machine. Can't wait to get the K75 back!

• 1 year later...

If anyone knows how to reach this member, give him my contact information. he has some parts I want to buy; but his email here keeps bouncing.

Thanks,

Jerry Dockery

910-262-2843

OldBMWMaster@yahoo.com

Archived