IGNORED

Comments on R12RT after the first week

Tommy_Boy

clap.gif Man, I love this bike! Comfort, handling, performance - all great!

Rode it home from the dealer last Saturday. (Hansen's BMW in Medford, OR - Great Guys! thumbsup.gif) 41 degrees and raining over the mountains. Really glad I got the heated seats! Do have some questions/comments that maybe all you other R12RT owners can help me out with.

Mirrors - I'm 6'2" and like the seat in the highest position, but all I see through the mirrors is a really nice view of my knuckles! No chance at all of seeing the soccer mom SUV on my butt, or the LEO fast approaching from the rear!

Fuel tank - hard to fill to the top without taking forever dribbling gas in.

First gear - seems kinda high, hard to get going on an incline. Guess it will just take some practice, huh?

Tank protectors - Looks like my cordura riding gear is rubbing the paint on the sides of the tank.

Too soon to tell if I'm going to want to change seats or windshield. Need a few hundred more miles first.

Any suggestions on these topics is most appreciated. Mind you - I'm not complaining! This is my first BMW, and by far the greatest motorcycle I've ever owned. When I'm riding, you can't slap the grin off my face! wink.gif And when I'm not riding, I wish I was!

Enough for now. The sun is shining and I've got to go ride!

cool.gif

Yup, it's a mighty fine apparatus.

I'm shorter by two inches and have recently returned to riding with the seat in the bottom spot, but have never had trouble with my hands getting in the way of the mirrors, which are not great, but adequate after you get used to them. Getting them adjusted just right takes a little time, though.

You'll probably want a new windshield fairly pronto, especially as the temperatures go down. Check previous threads on the Cee Bailey. Somebody probably has an Aeroflow to report on by now, too.

Welcome to the group here!

Yup, it's a mighty fine apparatus.

I'm shorter by two inches and have recently returned to riding with the seat in the bottom spot, but have never had trouble with my hands getting in the way of the mirrors, which are not great, but adequate after you get used to them. Getting them adjusted just right takes a little time, though.

You'll probably want a new windshield fairly pronto, especially as the temperatures go down. Check previous threads on the Cee Bailey. Somebody probably has an Aeroflow to report on by now, too.

Welcome to the group here!

I'm shorter by 1/2" and started out with the seat in the high position. After about 5 months I realized that the lower position worked fine for me (bends the knees more) and got my head out of the air stream. (I have a Laminar Lip--love it.)

This also lowers the center of gravity a tad and I feel more planted on the bike.

Also allows flat-footing on both sides.

Welcome!

If your fuel tank is like an R1200GS and has the rubber filler neck piece in it, you can reach in with your finger and pull it out. Makes topping off much easier. Congrats on the new ride, I LOVE my GS!

Barry

clap.gif Mirrors - I'm 6'2" and like the seat in the highest position, but all I see through the mirrors is a really nice view of my knuckles! No chance at all of seeing the soccer mom SUV on my butt, or the LEO fast approaching from the rear!

Congrats - I'm 6'2" and have the seat in the high position too after tweaking the mirrors I got the bottom 3/4 to be usable. See the attachment - I added these stick-on convex mirrors from PEP boys for under $5 in the area where I could only see my hands. The inside is about 1/2" higher than the outside.

583484-DSCN0160(Small).JPG.209f7ac6c82f200c3b95fe33bf830557.JPG

Aeroflow used my RT as the mule for design and testing. I've personnally tested all the heights they have available. I'm 6'1" with a higher-than-normal Bill Mayer saddle. My favorite screen is the medium, and it's SO superior to the stock. The best part is only having to raise it a couple of inches (if that) to create still air around my head. Looks decent, too. I recommend it.

The mirrors are kind of a pain but I found that if you dink with them enough, you can get them in an acceptable position. I did that and have gotten very used to them and don't feel they're inadequate anymore. Love that heated seat and grips. Rode in some pretty chilly weather yesterday and it does make a nice difference. I've had my bike since May of this year and still don't like the tall first gear. I too would like to hear from someone that knows how to deal with first better than I.

Jack- I need ya to come fix MY mirrors, no matter what I do with them, they end up useless. I'm gonna do like that other joker on the board, he gave up and procured mirrors off a GS I think.

I don't have a problem with the stock windshield or seat. The heated stuff was awesome on a 38 degree morning in the Blue Ridge.

Never paid too much attention to 1st gear, but I do find it a long "throw" from 1st to 2nd, especially after riding the Honda. But the shifting is much improved over the 1100 series.

I have ridden my 05RT a little over 6K since july and still have an issue with 1ST gear. My only issue,but it is less a problem as when new. But then again I dont really want to go 50 MPH in fist gear. Leon dopeslap.gif

For the mirror problem try this. I bought 2 large convex mirrors from K-Mart for $2 Place them at the same angle as the mirrors and flush left or right per side. You should see the end of the brake or clutch lever about an inch from the end. Any car in that area is very close and in the "BLIND" spot. I adjusted the mirrors for my comfort but it took a while to get it "just right" and now all works well. Too bad the mirrors aren't a little wider though.

I also tested the Aeroflow and you will love it. Didn't like the small break pedal so got an extender for that, fatter grips, (a slip on that distributes the heat just fine thank you) and keyed the topcase like the bags.

i too just picked up my 12rt. they installed a bmw radio but they could not get the display to work... worst of all they delivered the bike back to my house without any instructions on how to operate the radio. does anyone have instructions on the panel buttons. the buttons on the handlebars are easy.

I have the 31" Aeroflow and love it. Rode to visit Paige at the shop and got the side deflectors as well as the additional front apparatus. (I'm not sure what's it's called..) I'm 6'3" and the shield work great for me. In fact if he called an wanted it back, we'd have a wrestling match on our hands.... Also got a Russell Day Long Saddle. Just got back from a 10 day/8K mile run around this wonderful country before winter sets in. Got into some pretty sporty weather too. Aeroflow and the Russell Day Long made all the difference, both organizations are first rate. First rate. Congrats on your new baby. Ride safe, ride far. Bill in Scottsdale

The mirrors are kind of a pain but I found that if you dink with them enough, you can get them in an acceptable position. I did that and have gotten very used to them and don't feel they're inadequate anymore. Love that heated seat and grips. Rode in some pretty chilly weather yesterday and it does make a nice difference. I've had my bike since May of this year and still don't like the tall first gear. I too would like to hear from someone that knows how to deal with first better than I.

I've now done 1000 miles on my 12RT and can't see what the problem is with 1st gear. Even two up it pulls quite easily at lowish RPM. Like other people's comments, I've got use to the mirrors and don't find them a problem, my works ST1300 has similar style mirrors.

I didn't have a problem with my mirrors either, until I went on a camping trip with the wife. I couldn't see past my gear. So I bought a set of R1150R mirrors new for $70. I thought I would remove them after the trip but I got so used to them that they are still on the bike.

r12rt007.jpg

• 3 months later...

You are supposed to get a separate instruction manual (slim) with the BMW radio. (I did with my '05 R1200RT). Call your dealer about this. If you can't get anywhere, I can see about getting you a copy.

I didn't have a problem with my mirrors either, until I went on a camping trip with the wife. I couldn't see past my gear. So I bought a set of R1150R mirrors new for $70. I thought I would remove them after the trip but I got so used to them that they are still on the bike.

Gene, how did you attach those mirrors? Can you do a close-up pic? I agree the stock mirrors are not great -- a rare case of BMW form over function.

-Eric

I have same arrangement and use the original mirrors as lane change mirrors, showing the blind spot.

THey are attached just like on a GS or a R1150R since they use same handlebar assembly. There are hole for them already, just make sure you get the bolts with htem when buying.

have fun

Archived