IGNORED

F650 oil? which one?

elkroeger

I thought I'd bury this oil thread in the F bike department, so as to try and avoid the usual rants...

I never used to think about it, but the haynes manual says not to use regular car motor oil in the F650CS. It says to use 10W-40 mineral or semi-synthetic motorcycle oil. I don't see where the rider's manual states what type of oil.

I've read where motorcycle oil and car oil are typically the same thing, and it's just a marketing scheme. I've also read that the only thing you want to avoid is the API designation "EC" or "energy conserving" because it'll cause the clutch to slip.

So - I've always just used Chevron Supreme 10W-40 (API Service SM). Am I going to Hell?

Were I you, I would go on over to the Chaingang site which is an internet club devoted to the 650 singles. I would first go to the FAQ's and read everything about the oil subject there and if I still had questions, I would ask the members of which I am no. 1998 out of I think some 2500.

The factory manual of my 06 version specifically advises against the useage of Syn. oil.

Were I you, I would go on over to the Chaingang site which is an internet club devoted to the 650 singles. I would first go to the FAQ's and read everything about the oil subject there and if I still had questions, I would ask the members of which I am no. 1998 out of I think some 2500.

The factory manual of my 06 version specifically advises against the useage of Syn. oil.

+1 to what Chris said.

Although some guys run synthetic, many others get clutch problems using it. I've used Spectro 10w-40w dino oil in my '06 (like Chris') since new with no issues or oil usage in 17K miles. My dealer puts 20w-50 in their bikes. I ride more in cooler/cold weather and go with the lighter weight oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived