IGNORED

Filling gas tank on R1200RT

Tucker2930

Has anyone drilled a small hole in the top of the filler neck to allow air to escape for more fuel? Pain in the butt to rock bike back and forth to burp air.

Nope, didn't drill a hole...but did remove the rubber thing that sticks down below the metal part of the filler neck. This helped getting the tank filled almost to the top. Can't seem to get much more fuel in even when I rock the bike.

Try taking out the rubber thingie first.

Is the purpose of that thing to cushion the gas nozzle? If so, it is useless since it makes the hole so small that the gas spews out way before the tank is full.

So you can't really use the auto-off on the gas pump anyway and have to fill it manually. Therefore no reason for a cushion.

HOWEVER, there may be some other reason for that thingie. Anyone care to explain? Oh, and please spare the

"they put it there so the bike is less than 6oo lbs. when you fill the tank for marketing purposes" (conspiracy theory)

explanation. smirk.gifgrin.gif

I use the automatic shut-off and then manually fill the tank up to the bottom of the rubber thingy. I have assumed that doing this filled the tank. Am I missing something here? Have I not really filled the tank?

When I fill in this way and ride for about a minute the gauge shows a full tank and the miles to empty on the computer is usually over 300.

Brian

I would think that getting the gas filler pipe off the bike and then back on after the hole was driller would be the hard part. In other words, getting all the gaskets in correctly.

Yes thanks I have removed the rubber thing and that helps but looking for that little extra.

How much work will you go through to get 1/10th of a gallon? The rubber out helps to fill it faster and more completely. That should be good enough!

Jim cool.gif

Interesting, I have had no problems filling my tank...I wonder if has to do with the type of fuel nozel. Alot of the fuel nozels in AZ do not need to have that thingy pushed up like I had noticed in CA.

I've removed the rubber piece but wouldn't even consider drilling a hole. The cost of replacing the evap canister not too mention if it gets full of gas and the bike runs like crap when it tries to purge the evap system and gets fuel rather than fumes makes it unwise IMO.

I had just thought the metal part was there to keep you from overfilling the tank so there would be room for expansion when the fuel heated up.

I had just thought the metal part was there to keep you from overfilling the tank so there would be room for expansion when the fuel heated up.
On my previous bike, a K1100LT, there was an overflow that could route excess gas into the crankcase if the tank was overfilled. Those who altered the filler neck by removing parts were advised to re-jigger the tubing under the tank to avoid diluting the oil. Is it similar on the R12RT?
ShovelStrokeEd

No way the overflow line went to the crank case. To the charcol canister is where the excess goes, even on the K1100LT.

No way the overflow line went to the crank case. To the charcol canister is where the excess goes, even on the K1100LT.
Was that it? Where does it go from there? I distinctly remember being told that the gas could end up in the oil, but I have no direct knowledge of that. In the eight years I owned the K, I never put a wrench on it, partly because it required very little and partly because I am a complete ignoramus on anything newer than about 1970. I just ride 'em and let somebody else make a living fixing 'em.
Was that it? Where does it go from there? I distinctly remember being told that the gas could end up in the oil, but I have no direct knowledge of that. In the eight years I owned the K, I never put a wrench on it, partly because it required very little and partly because I am a complete ignoramus on anything newer than about 1970. I just ride 'em and let somebody else make a living fixing 'em.

They probably meant that gas might end up migrating to the crank case from the cylinder if it dumped directly through the TB's when venting.

Jim cool.gif

I don't see any rubber insert in my 1200RT's tank. Can someone post a photo? I am concerned that this could have been pushed into the tank prior to delivery.

I only have a metal plate that the gas nozzle fits into.

That's why I said I wouldn't drill a hole. It will allow a bit more fuel in the tank but when it expands it will fill the evap (charcoal) cannister then into the engine via vent tube into the intake.

ShovelStrokeEd

Actually there is no harm in filling right to the top unless you plan on parking the bike right away. Running down the highway will consume fuel faster than expansion will cause problems. 5-7 gallons of gasoline just won't heat that fast just from radiant heat off the motor. Takes a lot of BTU's to heat 40 lbs of gas enough to provide significant expansion.

I'm not sure about the 12RT but on my K12RS if I sat there and screwed around "packing" it full of fuel. I could over flow the tank which went on the ground rather than the canister since I had it removed. I've also seen people spend hundreds of dollars for contaminated canisters on autos from packing the tank. I think the risk is more from over filling than from heat. I suppose I should have stated so. Under normal conditions on the RT it shouldn't happen but remove the rubber piece and then drill a hole in the neck and I think you stand a very good chance of over filling it. It just isn't worth it for a few extra miles IMO.

ShovelStrokeEd

You can't overfill it. Full is full. If it overflows it goes on the ground or into your charcol canister. The charcol canister can be problematic in that you can carry the media into your air box and maybe have it wind up on the blades of the throttle bodies. I don't see a problem with filling to the top, on a bike with limited tank capacity like my S, I want all I can get in there.

How do you get that rubber "thingy" out?

Place digit from either hand down into filler neck, hook bottom edge of rubber "thingy", and pull straight up..

The rubber "thingy" is an EPA part intended to keep you from overfilling and spilling gasoline. I've left mine in and just fill up to top carefully after the auto shutoff. My fuel gauge then indicates from 315 to 340 miles. I have ridden 340 and it took 6.1 gals.

The rubber "thingy" is an EPA part intended to keep you from overfilling and spilling gasoline. I've left mine in and just fill up to top carefully after the auto shutoff. My fuel gauge then indicates from 315 to 340 miles. I have ridden 340 and it took 6.1 gals.

Aha! So that's what it is for... So maybe take it out for long trips where I will be filling up every few hours and put it back in for normal workaday riding...

I`ll second that. The rubber thingie also stops splash back. Some people just are not happy to operate things as they are. They think that by spending an enormous amount of time to try and beat them self in to another way of operating it or butchering it that they will gain an edge over the normal intent. Maybe they just need to ride more. In the long run will the gain be a meaningful issue.

Will your life be some how less stressful and more calmed by this event. Add a Jerrie Can.

Archived