IGNORED

Clutch Master Cylinder went out at 10,045miles

RickC

My bike is a RT 02 and I bought it last year 9/04 it was sitting garaged it only had 4,500 mikes on it and a lot of all the right mod's I took of for a short ride the other day and things were going well until I got to the off ramp and was down shifting then ther was no clutch. I had to pump he leveler about 6 times before I was able to at least get it into gear to get home. My question is do they sell rebuild kits for the clutch master cylinder. I took off the clutch cover resivor and there was a lot of black looking containation? I am fiquring the seals around the piston are shot. I have never seem any post on this? I want ad I have gotten alot of great information from this site' Thanks

Rick

Looking at paying about $75 for a used off of an "03 RT"

Rich06FJR1300

had a similar situation happen to me....not sure if its the master cylinder or the slave cylinder (located near the transmission) but i was 500 miles from home and had to do the same thing during downshifting (pump it several times to get it to downshift). Its at the dealer now and bike has just under 32k on it. These things should not go with that kind of mileage...isn't yours still under warranty?

Rich

Rich06FJR1300

I also wrote a blunt letter to BMW NA about this as I feel, even though my bike is out of warranty, these things shouldn't happen this soon with a bike about 3 years old.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen on his 02 RT. Turned out to the the seal on the slave cylinder. One of the indicators was the fluid had turned very dark, even though it had been changed recently. When he took it back to the dealership, they checked and what with the dark fluid, they assumed that they had somehow forgotten to change the fluid so they changed the fluid, (again) and in a few short miles it was almost black again. I guess the seal going out let in air or other contaminants.

Just thought I'd throw in the added feature of odd looking fluid.

Mike

The more I read the various BMW boards around, I see this to be an all too common problem. My '04 1150RT had the seal on the slave cylinder go out at 18K miles. It was replaced under warranty and I now have 26K miles on the bike without any problems. Keeping my fingers crossed.

ShovelStrokeEd

All too common?

Gimme a break, this is the third case I have heard about. Maybe 10th or so on this board. That's common? Between the R259 and the K bikes there are probably 300 thousand bikes out there. Common might be 1% or 3000 bikes, not 3.

Is the problem the master cylinder at the handle bar, or the slave cylinder at the tranny is the first question. Regardless, to answer your specific question, no I do not believe there is a rebuild kit for either. You will have to replace whichever has the problem.

Archived