IGNORED

Headlight relay/fuse location

TracyPrier

Hi guys

Need a bit of help on my R1100RT-P 2000.

I managed to trap the relay activation wire that runs my driving lights and short it to earth while re-attaching my left hand tank bolt (replacing the battery) duh! frown.gif

This is now fixed but I am now only getting high beam flash and not low/high beam.

Is there a headlight fuse and/or a relay that could have fried and if so where are they located?

I'm still using the factory workshop manual which has little detail about this (yes, I'm buying a Haynes shortly).

My bike (being ex-CHP) uses the extra authority switch unit to turn the headlights on and off and there is 12v getting to and from it but nothing at the headlight bulb socket.

Any other suggestions as to what might be causing this??

Thanks

Tracy

Hi guys

Need a bit of help on my R1100RT-P 2000.

I managed to trap the relay activation wire that runs my driving lights and short it to earth while re-attaching my left hand tank bolt (replacing the battery) duh! frown.gif

Tracy,

is the above mentioned 'activation' wire the low beam or the high beam wire?

You may have overloaded the low beam circuit so much that the Hi/Lo switch failed. You can remove the switch from the left side and take it apart. (Tip: take it apart INSIDE a plastic bag so you don't lose the little springs).

Mick

The headlights are not fused or relayed. (Except the load relief relay.) As mentioned then most likely place to start is the light switch itself.

Thanks guys... you were spot on smile.gif Turns out the contacts inside the switch had kind of vapourised!

Connected the 2 wires together for now as I always ride with the headlight on anyway.

When I replace the switch I think I'll use the opportunity to add relays to the headlight circuits (well to low beam at least as that is whats used most) and reduce the load through the new switch.

Would have been nice if this was done from the factory but hey, ya can't have everything I suppose smile.gif

Thanks again for the help guys.

Anyone have a good used left hand switch for an RT they'd like to sell????

Tracy

Archived