IGNORED

Has age changed the way you ride?

Haynes

I find that my ability to process events has slowed and as a result I have become more cautious.

On the other hand, I find that my commonsense, judgement and control are better than ever.

How have you changed the way you ride as a result of ageing?

In addition, I don't heal as quickly at 64 as I did at 24. Stupid hurts, so I try to ride smarter (which usually means slower). Also, I'm richer, and can afford better/more safety gear than when I was a young squid (how I survived my teens/twenties is still inexplicable).

A buddy of mine crashed Sunday, now has hardware holding his wrist and ankle together while they heal. He is 12 years younger than me, though he is old enough to know better (46).

I told him that us old guys leave fatter margins to allow slack to make up for mistakes without going past the edge. I have told him before, but I think he gets it now.

Paul Mihalka

Heck, yes! Obviously I'm older than most of you. Things don't work like they used to. My reactions are slower. I have to be more careful when I stop. Unless there is a incline, I stop with both feet down. When I'm coming to a stop, I feel like putting down my landing gear. On my traveling rides, I plan shorter days. They will get even shorter. I don't feel like I'm riding slower, but everybody else is driving/riding faster. It is more common that a car in front of me is driving at a acceptable speed and I don't want to pass it. I'm sure it can vary a lot from person to person, but I feel I started to really slow down in every respect at about age 70. That's when I did my last track school and did not feel the urge/capability after that. I was getting lighter/handier bikes. There will be more steps in that directions. Let's face it, getting old sucks - but for now it still beats the alternative... :)

I'm relatively young in this group (just turned 35) but I've slowed down, and actually stopped riding as much since my daughter was born. When I play with her I often feel guilty for even owning a motorcycle. She depends on me for food and shelter. I live in NJ, congested as all hell with some of the worst drivers in existence - I'm worried about their mistakes, not so much mine, though I know if I'm on my game I should be able to avoid most of them. Still, I would be a fool not to admit that luck has often played a role. Therein lies the rub.

I guess age slows you down for physical reasons, but at least your jobs are done, and that weight is off your shoulders so you can enjoy the experience more than some of us younger guys.

-MKL

I ride more distance now than when I was younger. It seems maybe not always slower, that I have not gained patience that should come with age. Almost like the motorcycle is a time machine, it makes me young again every time I get in the saddle. I do take better care of the machine now than I used to.

And a point that worries me, I hesitate now when I didn't used to, I think if anything causes a big problem it will be because of that.

I ride longer and over all much better.....sometimes faster, sometimes slower but I think generally much smarter and with better situational awareness.

Firefight911

I like to view age in my riding change as the race between the tortoise and the hare.

I use to go real fast but never really got far. Now I ride and ride and ride. My skill sets are so much better than they ever were so though I ride at a reduced overall pace I am much more consistent and, in the end, do many more miles in a given days worth of riding.

I'm slower and smarter therefore I'm more efficient and quicker while maintaing a greater margin for safety.

...how I survived my teens/twenties is still inexplicable...

Me too. From my own experiences and in working as a teacher of teenagers for thirty years I am of the opinion that, in all probability, no male should live past 20 years.

...us old guys leave fatter margins...

I think that's a great summary of what happens. Because of my juvenile compulsion to speed when I was young my riding was mostly reactive. I now ride slower and proactively establish that "fatter margin". I guess it's in the "Getting of Wisdom".

Hi Haynes

With me it seems to be a wash as far as the age thing offsetting the new motorcycle technology.

I ride faster for longer distances now than when I younger. These new bikes with better chassis geometry, better suspensions, much better tires, superior brakes, larger fuel tanks, better wind and rain protection, smoother engines, and better high speed cruising comfort make long distance high speed motorcycling so easy even a cave man could do it.

When I was young, doing 100mph was a real chore, you had the wind about knocking you off the bike, the engine was struggling, the brakes would only give you about one half hearted stop, and you slid all over on the flat seat. Now I comfortably cruise at that speed at about ½ throttle, little wind disturbance, great stopping power and the bike tracks straight as an arrow for miles on end.

Same with the twisty back roads, the new radial tires stick so good and the bike’s suspension is so good, and the chassis is stiff enough that you hardly have to slow at all for the curves.

Riding fast use to be for the highly skilled, now it is for anyone that has the money to buy a new bike.

Off road riding is even more advanced. The new long suspension bikes with lots of 4 stroke power and great modern tires allow casual off road riding at speeds we used to only dream about. So off road riding I am definitely much faster now than in the old days. My biggest problem now is deep sugar sand as my strength and stamina is not what it used to be so a few minutes in the deep sand and I need a sit down breather.

Even the modern riding gear is much improved, I usually wear better safety gear to ride a 1 hour after dinner trail ride than I used to wear as a youngster when I raced motoX. The only difference is as someone mentioned in a post above the time it takes to heal is much longer and the scars remain forever. I still ride hard enough off road to go down occasionally so even with the advanced protective gear still gain a few new scars and divots in my body parts each year.

It seems as I get older and the eye sight and reaction time get slower the muscle memory and that 7th sense on impending danger get better.

Yep, I rode sans helmet and no eye protection when I was a kid. Just jeans and a Derby jacket if some of you old tymers recall what those were.

Went down a couple times due to loose bungee cords and bad situational awareness back then. Got a few tickets too.

How I lived through it could be because I never got to buy the '69 Kawasaki MachIII I wanted so bad.

I ride more conservative today. Unfortunately I still do brief blasts up to 75 in a 35 zone.

Some things I do faster now; fall, forget, seek medical attention, forget, sign up for senior programs, quit trying to read small print, forget, grow skin lesions, forget, lose hair and teeth, forget....and.... I..... I've forgotten the rest. Damn it..

Let's see....shifter on the left??? Well, let's see here....

...Unfortunately I still do brief blasts up to 75 in a 35 zone.

...but only with the flashing lights on, right? :)

As for me, like the T-shirt says, the older I get the faster I was.

Seriously, I haven't really slowed down much, mostly because my skills keep improving (most of the time). And I've only been riding about 10 years.

I take that back. I have slowed down recently. I haven't been on any rides with Whip.

How I lived through it could be because I never got to buy the '69 Kawasaki Mach III I wanted so bad.

Well, thankfully I didn't OWN it, just got to work on one and ride it for free which was even better.

And, yes, it is amazing that Darwin didn't catch up with me sans helmet.

Much, much slower now, except for the time.... :Cool:

Oh definitely. Most of the reasons have already been listed; however the fun and excitement has not changed at all.

I'm still limping, but I am so psyched about throwing a leg over the Hawk next weekend, and the RT when it cools down a little more, and BRR first weekend in October.

Non-riders must think I am insane after what I went through this spring, but the urge to ride is difficult to explain to them.

I can honestly say yes.....I remember when I was fearless and felt immortal. Doing some crazy stuff that I would never do now @ 55. I do have a mindset that I can do things that I shouldn't and sometimes try. I will jump out of a perfectly good airplane even now.

A buddy and I are planning an India trip maybe in Jan. We shall see. On a different note I went to see my 89 y/o uncle today. He didn't even know me and we are very very close........he taught me a lot in life and took me to do so many things in AZ with my dad along for a new adventure as well.

I do not like the prospect of losing my mind.......not being arrogant but it is the thing I like about me the most!!! My uncle kept calling me DJ and spoke of how we were in WWII in the battle of the bulge. It was heartbreaking to say the least.

Back on topic...things like this make me think, very hard about what lies in store for us in the future with age etc. I for one want to live life like there is no tomorrow and most times do........So for now I shall ride like the wind and hope that my aging body and mind let's me do what I want for a long time to come. :lurk:

I find that my ability to process events has slowed and as a result I have become more cautious.

On the other hand, I find that my commonsense, judgement and control are better than ever.

How have you changed the way you ride as a result of ageing?

I notice the same, but without much warning I periodically ride fast, very fast for me, through twisty little numbers. After wards, I reflect on the danger and the odds, resolve to avoid such adrenaline traps and put the bike, once again, safely into the garage. :)

... I periodically ride fast, very fast for me, through twisty little numbers. After wards, I reflect on the danger and the odds, resolve to avoid such adrenaline traps and put the bike, once again, safely into the garage.

I'm sure that this describes a behavior common to us all.

snip

I do not like the prospect of losing my mind.......not being arrogant but it is the thing I like about me the most!!! My uncle kept calling me DJ and spoke of how we were in WWII in the battle of the bulge. It was heartbreaking to say the least.

Ever heard that line from the Woody Allen movie, "... you have to remove my brain? But that is my second most favorite organ."

Bad news, fellow elders. Having concussions (like in spills) increases likelihood of Alzheimers. Of course the good news for bikers is that you have to live long enough to get to old age.

I've "used" a few helmets over the years. Ugh.

Ben

... I periodically ride fast, very fast for me, through twisty little numbers. After wards, I reflect on the danger and the odds, resolve to avoid such adrenaline traps and put the bike, once again, safely into the garage.

I'm sure that this describes a behavior common to us all.

I resemble that remark.

One thing I try to do after a flagrant attempt at imitating V. Rossi (in my mind anyway).

Is sidetrack to a parking lot and practise basic skills for 15-20 minutes.

Then I can put the bike in the garage with a fairly clear conscience.

Hard question to answer. In my 20s I'd have to say that there was not much if any fear factor. Now in my 60s I want to see as far ahead as possible albeit, my eyesight isn't as good. :cry:

Only other thing I can say is that I never had a speeding ticket until I was 65. That one (80 in a 60 limit) cost me $700 for the mouth piece and costs. It was a very humbling experience. The LEO said he had a Harley, I said "they are nice" :/ Who knows?

my riding has changed over the years 51 now , started riding on the street when I was 16.Have rode appx 1,000,000kms and I think beacause of this I am a better rider than in my youth,I do not take the chances I did when I was younger but believe in the long run I am faster. As I have become older I find the amount of protective gear I wear has gone up,I never leave the house without full gear including good back armour. Of course my bikes have changed from full on sport bikes to sport touring bikes as well. And of course as my wife has gotten older my riding has changed as well ( can only take her beating on my ribcage for so long ..slow down!!!!slow down!!!!)

Definitely for the better!

How I lived through it could be because I never got to buy the '69 Kawasaki MachIII I wanted so bad.

+1 ............. I did ride a couple of MachIII's and survived but, in my teens every stoplight was a Christmas tree. Luck and the fact that the bikes weren't as fast as today's helped a lot to get me to the rider I am now.

I've been a Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde rider for many years now. As I have aged Dr. Jekyll has made better judgements and Mr. Hyde has emerged with better skills. At 58 I feel like I'm in a holding pattern on skills and that's fine for me right now. I do spend more $ on protective gear now than ever in my 42 years of riding.

I do tend to do the long rides these days and at a more leisurely pace. The thing that un-nerves me is my night vision or the lack thereof. I try not ride at night because of it. I feel the odds are against me in that situation.

In the late seventies peer pressure convinced me to purchase a HD, It wasn't until my earlier fortys that I discovered the sport touring crowd. After much persuading I particiapted in a MSF ERC. Wow twenty plus years of thinking I knew what I was doing, had me on a mission to learn what ever I could, Two years later I became an MSF instructor, Four levels of superbike school, Lee parks. I'll spare you the damaged equipment list while this old dog was learning new tricks. Now in my early fiftys I can say age has definitely change the way I ride. :thumbsup:

Now in my early fiftys I can say age has definitely change the way I ride. :thumbsup:

Yeah, from fast to faster! ;) As for myself, I need more pee-pee breaks! :rofl:

Pat

I haven't really......well, solo at least anyway :rofl:.

If the opportunity arises, I like to "get up there" and still enjoy managing my adrenaline and, concurrently, keep my motor skills sharp ;)!

I would like to say I have slowed down. But I probably have not.

What I do, is avoid night riding to any extent. And limit my riding to about 300 miles per day.

None of the driving or riding all day and night like once upon a time.

dc

At 18, I didn't pay all that much attention to safety, so that's changed. Even so, at 54, I don't think my street riding has changed all that much. I'm certain, however, that if I jumped on a dirt bike, I would notice a huge difference from my old x-country days.

...I've been a Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde rider for many years now. As I have aged Dr. Jekyll has made better judgements and Mr. Hyde has emerged with better skills. ...

You'll be safe as long as Jeckyl and Hyde keep talking to each other.

Yes... In the younger days speed, women, and folly... were the kings...Now I like to cruz a little slower, love a little longer, and do not care to be impressive/foolish to anyone when it come to motorcycling... I truly understand Ride Your Own Ride...

Not as much as the deer do!

Honestly, I think I'm a better rider than I was in my 30's, about 2 Track Days/year, better able to diagnose cars that might dart in my path or events about to unfold that I need to make quick plans, but I still haven't found a way to continue riding without constantly worrying about the GD deer!

(Deer accidents in '04 and '09)

RPG

Heck, yes! Obviously I'm older than most of you. Things don't work like they used to. My reactions are slower. I have to be more careful when I stop. Unless there is a incline, I stop with both feet down. When I'm coming to a stop, I feel like putting down my landing gear. On my traveling rides, I plan shorter days. They will get even shorter. I don't feel like I'm riding slower, but everybody else is driving/riding faster. It is more common that a car in front of me is driving at a acceptable speed and I don't want to pass it. I'm sure it can vary a lot from person to person, but I feel I started to really slow down in every respect at about age 70. That's when I did my last track school and did not feel the urge/capability after that. I was getting lighter/handier bikes. There will be more steps in that directions. Let's face it, getting old sucks - but for now it still beats the alternative... :)
At 72 on a K1200LT two up I could really relate to Paul's post. Somehow I've never faced a dump in 43 years of street riding & I don't really have any major problem (yet) with other drivers..... But each time I get on a bike I speculate a little that if I'm not extra careful, I could have just taken my last step under my own power.

It's taken a long time to get here. I finally made it to retirement. Now I prefer the safer, slower pace. Time to smell the roses and view the scenery ... On two wheels of course.

Most definitely have slowed down, and have increased following distance. Also, am getting a Russell Day - Long for my soon to be 67 year old bones. :clap:

I don't claim to be highly skilled, but I'm a much more skilled rider than I was thirty-some years ago. I guess you'd have to be a total numbskull not to pick up some skills over that amount of time.

However, I still find myself occasionally questioning my judgment. In the aftermath of a brisk ride, something I really enjoy, I sometimes ask myself if I wasn't pushing just a little too hard.

Archived