IGNORED

R1150RT Jump Start Terminal

Robt_J_Webster

Robt_J_Webster

I ran across a reference to a terminal for jump-starting an R1150RT on the Motoworks website (see below)

Jumper Terminal

The Motoworks website states that this is on all machines after late 2003. Does anyone know if this is correct? If so, where is this terminal post located? If not, has anyone installed one of these kits? Looks like a good idea.

Thanks in advance for any information.

On the RT the post is under the riders seat at the front. It is covered by a black plastic cap. On other models, it is on the starter motor cover, by the LH riders footpag. My R1150RT came from the factory witht the post and I have also fitted one to a friends 2002 RT.

Andy

Robt_J_Webster

Thanks for the feedback. I am not near my bike at the moment, and was contemplating ordering one of these kits. Do you know if a European 2004 RT would have come with this installed?

Thanks for the feedback. I am not near my bike at the moment, and was contemplating ordering one of these kits. Do you know if a European 2004 RT would have come with this installed?

Yep, mine has one too. Remember of course it can be fitted to earlier model years too.

Andy

In the States the jump start terminal extension began to appear on late model 2004 R1150RT models. It attaches to the + terminal. It involves about three parts and can be added to earlier models.

The Motoworks website states that this is on all machines after late 2003. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I suspect the 2003 listed above is build date. My '04 RT did not have one. But its build date is 12/2002. So possibly only the very late '04 models or possibly '05 models would have this?

At any rate it is a good thing to have. I build one that I can reach by taking my seat off. Had a less than 1 year old battery fail when I tried to come home from work. If I had not had help pushing it, I would never have gotten it bump-started!

Stonecritter
In the States the jump start terminal extension began to appear on late model 2004 R1150RT models. It attaches to the + terminal. It involves about three parts and can be added to earlier models.

My US BMW dealer has no information on this kit. Does anyone know where one could be found or instructions on how you built your own?

Dave

My US BMW dealer has no information on this kit. Does anyone know where one could be found or instructions on how you built your own?

Dave

The parts are standard BMW pieces fitted to the later RT - from late 2004 in the USA.

They are parts 9-11 on this diagram:

Link to realoem.com

Andy

The accessory plug on my 1100RT is hot. Is there any reason why you couldn't use jumper cables on one end, and a Powerlet socket on the other, to plug into the accessory socket and jump start your bike from another's battery?

Just thinking off the top of my head here...

The accessory plug on my 1100RT is hot. Is there any reason why you couldn't use jumper cables on one end, and a Powerlet socket on the other, to plug into the accessory socket and jump start your bike from another's battery?

Just thinking off the top of my head here...

The accessory socket is good for about 10-15 amps. Jump-starting pulls 50-100 amps. The wires would burn out, possibly starting a fire..

What does work, is to use the socket to charge your battery off the other bike. Leave it connected for 10-15 minutes, then disconnect and try to start the bike. Do not do try to start the bike with the lead connected.

In fact, when jump-starting any vehicle, connect the jump leads and let the donor vehicle charge the dead battery for 5-10 minutes before starting the dead vehicle - it lets all of the donor vehicles current go to starting the vehicle, rather than just being soaked up by the battery.

Andy

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

good cheap option that i read about here.

make your own + batt extension.

some cable and a crimped on ring terminal attached to the batt.

leave it hidden under the seat.

6" long should do it.

8 awg maybe?

i would go with something as finely stranded as possible.

cover the loose end of the extension with heat shrink.

cant cost more that a few bucks and no waiting or shipping.

no worries with battery terminal geometry and size not working with the bwm battery extensio parts. for example i have a pc680 with top connection. does not resemble the battery in the picture above. i could see the bmw parts not working...

Slyder_Steve

Super easy install. My 04 did not come with it, but I installed it a few years ago. I had to take the battery out, (to get to the positive terminal) aside from that it's no harder than removing the terminal lead.

Steve

My '04 RT (early build date) did not have one. I installed one and also made an "accessory stud" on it for easier access - very crude compared to the Centech on my '09! Here it is

batpost.jpg

Takes very little effort to install and WILL come in handy if you need a jump.

-MKL

Stonecritter
My '04 RT (early build date) did not have one. I installed one and also made an "accessory stud" on it for easier access - very crude compared to the Centech on my '09! Here it is

Takes very little effort to install and WILL come in handy if you need a jump.

-MKL

That makes it more clear. Accessory stud a nice idea too. I used the +/- on my Centech to get jump start after customs in Buffalo on Sunday. From other parts of this discussion, sounds like I was lucky.

Yeah, I had to do the stud. I had tons of accessories all on the + terminal on my '04 - with the jump post, it would have been ridiculous to try to access them easily. A fuse block however is far preferred.

-MKL

Stonecritter
Yeah, I had to do the stud. I had tons of accessories all on the + terminal on my '04 - with the jump post, it would have been ridiculous to try to access them easily. A fuse block however is far preferred.

-MKL

Been there done that. Roadstar a couple bikes back ended up with severe problems as a result of stack of wires loosening up on the + terminal. Added simple fuse block on that bike and a Centech on the RT behind left side panel. I used the +/- there for a jump.

Just pick up a short (12-18") battery cable for a lawn tractor/mower. Attach to the + post and slide a piece of snug fitting rubber hose over the other end. Let it lay atop the right frame rail.

• 11 months later...
Hi Dave, these parts are standard items as listed below.

Andy beat me to it again!

Andy

What exactly is part 13 for? Is that a battery holder?

Archived