IGNORED

Help a newbie with a used GPS!

jimswms

I just purchased this Garmin GPS V from a member of the board. It came with City Select ver. 4 and 5, and Metroguide USA. He included his unlock code.

I was able to load city select ver4, but don't get any maps. I went to Garmins unlock page and put in the codes, but, haven't gotten anywhere. I tried installing ver. 5 and metroguide. When asked to switch to disc 2, my computer instantly locks up. I assume that my computer and GArmin haven't communicated (however they do that!) and the maps are not unlocked! When I go to tools-unlock codes in the toolbar, and put in the unlock code, nothing happens.

Please tell me what I need to do next! Feeling pretty clueless here. As far as the Garmin unlock page, I didn't get any further than the first page where they ask you to enter the code. There doesn't seem to be another step. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Jim

I got around this once on a V by using the export unlock code to a file function, then went and text edited the file with the correct code, then imported it. Might be an easier way though.

I was able to load city select ver4, but don't get any maps. I went to Garmins unlock page and put in the codes, but, haven't gotten anywhere. I tried installing ver. 5 and metroguide. When asked to switch to disc 2, my computer instantly locks up.

If your City Select v5 is an update disc, then you'll definitely need to do a clean and working install of v4 before anything. I'm pretty sure you would have two unlock codes, so again you'd need the one for v4 not the one for v5.

Garmin also retains unlock codes, pegged to a unit and corresponding customer number. It's a hassle, but perhaps a measure of last resort.

I got around this once on a V by using the export unlock code to a file function, then went and text edited the file with the correct code, then imported it. Might be an easier way though.

ooooo, you're speaking a foreign language dopeslap.gif can I get a translation?

Archived